The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Orion 32/Isochrone 10M Combo Users?
Old 2nd February 2014
Gear Maniac

count me as another person who would love to hear an audio example of a mix done with the 10M clock as master and then with the Orion on internal (no 10M). I wouldn't care which one the mix was built with. I just want to hear what the change is with it engaged, for better or worse. I always ignore online a/b "tests", but this is one thing i'd actually like to hear. And i'm not even coming from a hardcore skeptic perspective, i'm just genuinely interested in the difference.
Old 25th February 2014
Been mixing with the Orion 32 and 10M. It is a very clear and detailed sound. Mixes are sounding great. I am very happy with the combo. It does not have any "magic" to it...it just has extreme clarity, which I think is magical in its own way. Again, very happy with this combo.

I tracked everything at 32/96 with a Lynx Hilo (internal clock) and am now mixing with an O32/10M combo (round-trip back into the O32 analog ins.) I am achieving the highest-quality digital audio I've heard in a WHILE.

My only question is...I wonder what it would sound like if I had tracked with the O32/10M combo...
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

I find tracking with the 10m does more good than mixing with it - capturing a source for the first time while having the 10m do it's thing is just awesome
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Maniac
Maybe a little off topic, but I use the Trinity/10M combo with the Avid HD I/O's with my analog summing set-up and I have to admit that my mixes have never sounded so good. Even thought I'm more or a hobbyist trying to achieve pro level results I have tried my different convertors (96 I/O and Lynx) with internal clocking and with the Big BEN as well as the Lynx with and without the Trinity/10M combo and I can honestly say it does make a noticeable difference in my sound and I can't imagine mixing without this combo anymore.
Old 27th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc1mce2 View Post
Maybe a little off topic, but I use the Trinity/10M combo with the Avid HD I/O's with my analog summing set-up and I have to admit that my mixes have never sounded so good.
Yeah, I've heard that combo is very nice. A very neutral, detailed sound. I'm enjoying the O32/10M combo.
Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerc View Post
I find tracking with the 10m does more good than mixing with it - capturing a source for the first time while having the 10m do it's thing is just awesome
What converter are you using with the 10M for tracking?
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Nut
I just saw some Audio Precision plots that show the Orion's THD+N at around -89dB when using more than 8 outputs!! Yuck! Something about using two cheapo 16 channel DAC chips for 32 output channels, where other interfaces use stereo DAC's in parallel for each output channel. Does anyone know what this means? Is the noise spec really that bad when using multiple outputs?
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Kinda explains why other devs draw the line at 16 channels

Not that kinda good deal in hindsight huh
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

8 months later and still no examples of the 10M/O32?

I'm instantiating new guitar day rules. If you can't post a picture or in this case audio, it's just talk.
Old 30th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTools View Post
I just saw some Audio Precision plots that show the Orion's THD+N at around -89dB when using more than 8 outputs!! Yuck! Something about using two cheapo 16 channel DAC chips for 32 output channels, where other interfaces use stereo DAC's in parallel for each output channel. Does anyone know what this means? Is the noise spec really that bad when using multiple outputs?
Can you post some images of this, please?
Old 30th August 2014
Gear Addict

Just bought an Orion to try out. I thought it was ok, but I wasn't that excited about it. I've been using Black Lion Audio modified MOTU which has served me pretty well. I wasn't about to spend an additional $6000 for the atomic clock on a $3000 converter. I figured with all the hubbub about the "AFC" oven clocking and all, it already sported a pretty decent clock.

Then, I decided to hook up the Black Lion Audio Micro Clock MK2 I had sitting around to the Orion. Wow, I would have never thought a different clock would make this kind of difference! I would think the much ballihood AFC would be doing the box justice. It doesn't. When hooked up to the Micro Clock, the speakers disappeared and all that was left was 3D audio as if the instruments were right in front of you playing. Great depth, detail, and width that seemed to extend way beyond the placement of the speakers.

Now I'm thinking, the Orion "AFC" clock might be a weak link. If you don't want to spend another $6000 on an Atomic Clock, you might want to try a Black Lion Audio Micro Clock. Mine had been sitting around unused because it never made much of a difference on the MOTU stuff. But it really helps the Orion.

So far I've been testing only playing back mixes that were previously recorded with the MOTU. I'll be interested to see what happens when I track with the Orion and Micro Clock. I wish there were zero latency monitoring (without the use of the console) with mulitple cue mixes as the MOTU offers. But I guess they left it off to make the box come in where its at pricewise. That, and the fact that I can't adjust some settings while Nuendo is open are the downside.

But with a better clock, the Orion can sound very good.
Old 30th August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob61 View Post
Then, I decided to hook up the Black Lion Audio Micro Clock MK2 I had sitting around to the Orion. Wow, I would have never thought a different clock would make this kind of difference! When hooked up to the Micro Clock, the speakers disappeared and all that was left was 3D audio as if the instruments were right in front of you playing. Great depth, detail, and width that seemed to extend way beyond the placement of the speakers.
That reminds me of the day I clocked the SSL Alphalink with a UA-2192.

Now I'd like to know what difference in sound remains between the Orion clocked by the Black Lion Audio Micro Clock MK2 and the Orion clocked by the 10M...
Any chance you could ask a dealer or a friend around you a demo unit for us all to know ?
We're talking about a unit more than 10 times more expensive here, many would be very grateful to know...
Old 19th November 2014
This album was mixed with the Orion 32/10M combo on an API Legacy. (ProTools 11, 32/96). It was tracked with a Lynx Hilo.

https://tyler-burns.bandcamp.com

Track 4, "Make the Races," may be the best example of the fidelity.
Old 19th November 2014
mixmixmix
"Make the Races" - great song. The chord progression on the chorus is beautiful. The harmonic surprise is great.

The mix sounds very nice. Well done.

Curious how acoustic instruments in a room, real chambers / halls or analog reverbs (EMT 140, BX-20 etc) would sound recorded and mixed through this setup.

All the best
Old 19th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixmixmix View Post
"Make the Races" - great song. The chord progression on the chorus is beautiful. The harmonic surprise is great.

The mix sounds very nice. Well done.

Curious how acoustic instruments in a room, real chambers / halls or analog reverbs (EMT 140, BX-20 etc) would sound recorded and mixed through this setup.
Thanks. I am going to start recording with the Orion 32/10M setup in the very near future...been writing new demos. Will definitely be recording more with microphones, too...
Old 17th April 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixerman View Post
I'm currently converting using the Orion 32/10M, analog into 2 Dangerous 2-bus units, 2 outputs from the Dangerous to the SSL G384 (from the 90s which had the THAT VCA modules), analog into the Pulse Techniques Pultec EQP1a3 (which are stellar), back into the Logic, using the Orion for the final AD conversion.
Hi Mixerman...
This is a quite old thread, but I'd like to know if you are still using Orion 32/10M combo, and if you are still happy with the sound or if you found another alternative.
Are you still having Pulse Techniques Pultec EQP1a3 as your one and only hardware processing unit in your 2-bus processing (and the SSL G384)?

thanks a lot!
Old 18th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by burns46824 View Post
Thanks. I am going to start recording with the Orion 32/10M setup in the very near future...been writing new demos. Will definitely be recording more with microphones, too...
I'm curious to hear how the 10M improved the sound of the Orion 32?
  • slight improvement,
  • moderately improved
  • huge improvement!
  • not at all

I think many of us would like to hear "anything at all" with 10M and without 10M posted here?
Old 18th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiokid View Post
I'm curious to hear how the 10M improved the sound of the Orion 32?
  • slight improvement,
  • moderately improved
  • huge improvement!
  • not at all

I think many of us would like to hear "anything at all" with 10M and without 10M posted here?
Don't take my word for it as I did not do an in-depth test, but, from a quick back and forth listening, I would say there is not a marked difference. I sold my 10M and went all-analog. Far preferable.

(In addition to mixing outboard with the Orion 32/10M combo, I have also tracked with it. This song was tracked with that combo and mixed ITB by a friend...not using that combo. It sounds alright.) Here's a clip:

https://soundcloud.com/tylerburns/mr-regular

Pick up an Otari MTR-90II or III and get the channel cards modded by Waltzing Bear Audio. It has excellent functionality and the fastest punch times that I know of. Once the channel cards are upgraded, it sounds really good.

I'm not sure using a non-Avid converter will ever give you a TRUE LOCK in ProTools. The record I did with the Orion 32/10M combo was done at 32/96 in ProTools. It's very clean, as you can hear, and is high quality, but it still sounds like it's missing something in terms of resolution.

From fellow Gearslut, MichaelAngelo. Not sure if it's true, but I believe it:

"Did you know that if you don't use a avid sync I/O with protools there is no lock between protools and your converters.. ? Most veteran engineers don't even know this.. You got manufactures selling clocks and not even knowing that if you don't use a sync i/o FIRST there is no true lock between the core cards in protools and the rest of the system... therefore sloppy sound, smeared transiets, etc.. and native protools sounds terrible which is good for us because as we go back and pick up were our fathers left off, ( in terms of audio research and development of analog audio gear) we will stand out from the crowd."

At the end of the day, I do not trust DAWs for hi-fi recordings. I have yet to hear a record done in ProTools that sounds truly great. Digital tape recorders (from the 80s) sound far more natural to my ears. Listen to George Michael's OLDER (1995). Tracked on a digital tape recorder and mixed to 1/2" on an ATR-102. That is a great combo if you want to go digital! Otherwise, go analog, IMO.
Old 18th April 2017
smart move.
I would however like to hear the same song with the 10M in and same song without. Only hearing a track with it is useless information. But thank you just the same.
Old 25th March 2018
Here for the gear

So does the Orion 32 sound better with the 10M ? is it worth the extra investment ? As these are discontinued , they have dropped a bit in price . There is a 10MX now but thats 7k . Very expensive for a clack
Old 29th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteveMac View Post
So does the Orion 32 sound better with the 10M ? is it worth the extra investment ? As these are discontinued , they have dropped a bit in price . There is a 10MX now but thats 7k . Very expensive for a clack
Back in the days I make that compare things with 10 M ,and without 10 M, with Orion 32.
At 44.1 Khz no difference at all ,(i did record the same file out from AD and back DA, with and without 10 M).Also then did null test and the cancellation was -144 db -nothing.
But then I did the same test but at 96Khz,and then start to show a bit difference.
But I decide not to a buy thing, that I can not hear in my pro studio(how will be heard the difference with laptop or phone even on audiophile system).
And I safe some 6000 euro.
Old 29th March 2018
Here for the gear

Ok thanks so much for the info . You just saved me a small fortune lol
Old 29th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteveMac View Post
Ok thanks so much for the info . You just saved me a small fortune lol
You can request from Antelope audio to test it at your studio for a week.
I dd with the old one -10M.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search