The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analogo to Pro tools, plese help!
Old 10th December 2013
Gear Maniac

Analogo to Pro tools, plese help!

Hi All,

I know that you've probably discussed it a lot in here but I'd like to get this discussion from scratch, so any answers would be much appreciated!

I work in a studio which we were used to work with a pro tools rig. recording room to a C24 to Digidesign analog 16x16 IO.

We're trying to set up an Analog/digital hybrid system. My boss hired a technician which seems to be very skilled for analog stuff . He's refurbished and otari MTR mkii and a Soundcraft sapphire . These tow gear should work with pro tools together.

What I'm absolutely lost is:

1. If a input signal on the sapphire is coming as 0 db, how's the input signal in pro tools is coming so small? And even distorting!

2. Working on a hybrid system whinge input connection should we use? +4dbu or -Dbv. What's the difference between both????

3. What would be the ideal system coming from an analog desk to digital environment having the best signal to noise ratio without distortion?

The technician sent a 1volt signal to the desk which reached 8db on it, why is it distorting?

any help would be much appreciated !
Old 10th December 2013
Gear Addict

Hey man here is how I like to work when I track. I have my outboard pres flow into the otari, then the output of my otari flows into my console(its a line level only desk) and the direct outs from my console feed pro tools. That way I can attenuate the output of the tape deck if I want to push it a little harder and still get a conservative level into pro tools. This also allows me to make all my headphone mixes inside pro tools even though Im tracking first to tape. I record to tape and dump into pro tools off the repro head when the client listens back to the take. I have the tape machine, pro tools, the direct outs of the console, and the multitrack ins and outs of the tt bay all on a separate elco patch bay where i can arrange my signal flow in a lot of cool ways. My console can be in the channel or monitor path of the tape machine and pro tools or reside in between the 2. Im very happy with the setup.

oh, and a +4 signal coming out of my otari hits my converters at about -16dbfs which is correct for my particular converters. Thats the level you should be working at btw. if you are feeding the desk pro line level at any other input besides +4 yes is will distort. The level that you should see in pro tools depends on A. How you have aligned your tape deck, and b what kind of specs your converters have at the ad stage.

my questions are

1.Where are you using the desk? as the front end for the tape machine? in between the tape deck and pro tools?
2.Are you still using the c24? If so, are you hitting the inputs of it before going to you converters?
3.What input did you tech send a 1 volt signal to on the desk?
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

I know that you've probably discussed it a lot in here but I'd like to get this discussion from scratch, so any answers would be much appreciated!

I work in a studio which we were used to work with a pro tools rig. recording room to a C24 to Digidesign analog 16x16 IO.

We're trying to set up an Analog/digital hybrid system. My boss hired a technician which seems to be very skilled for analog stuff . He's refurbished and otari MTR mkii and a Soundcraft sapphire . These tow gear should work with pro tools together.

1. If a input signal on the sapphire is coming as 0 db, how's the input signal in pro tools is coming so small? And even distorting!

0 VU is in db logarithmic scale is -14 inside protools the digital linear scale (switched to cuebase to have real meters lol)

2. Working on a hybrid system whinge input connection should we use? +4dbu or -Dbv. What's the difference between both????
use +4 on line inputs -10 has a pad on the ends

3. What would be the ideal system coming from an analog desk to digital environment having the best signal to noise ratio without distortion?
The last soundcraft I hooked up I used the same connections as I would have used to hook up the tape drive. But that was with SSL Alpha I/O

The technician sent a 1volt signal to the desk which reached 8db on it, why is it distorting?

sound like the alignment adjustments must be wrong on your i/o or something not wired right. (this is why I chose the ssl. the gain stucture is already set up)
Old 10th December 2013
Gear Maniac

Hi paul, thanks for your reply. We'll try to have a fully hybrid studio, but for now lets try to keep a bit simpler. Let's cut the tape machine and the pre amps from the c24 out of the equation.

The signal flow would be: Microphone/desk/Avid interface

What happened first is: The technician sent a 1KHz at 1Volt signal to the desk, and we' recorded that to pro tools. In pro tools we could see that the soundwave wasn't distorting, but with a very low recorded signal in pro tools with a peak of -15 roughly. If we tried to bring more signal from the oscilloscope or bringing more gain from the desk to pro tools, we'd still have avery low signal coming in pro tools but already with distortion. We could pretty much hear it .

From that perspective, how can I bring more gang from the out of the desk to the interface? The signals are very low, and rob ably bringing loads of signal to noise ration if after recorded in pro tools I bring them up, right?
Old 10th December 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtechno View Post

0 VU is in db logarithmic scale is -14 inside protools the digital linear scale (switched to cuebase to have real meters lol)

use +4 on line inputs -10 has a pad on the ends

The last soundcraft I hooked up I used the same connections as I would have used to hook up the tape drive. But that was with SSL Alpha I/O

sound like the alignment adjustments must be wrong on your i/o or something not wired right. (this is why I chose the ssl. the gain stucture is already set up)
Thanks for the infos!
Yes, we have to use it as +4DbU, but weirdly once we've connected the output from the desk into the -10DbV we had MORE gain? how's that possible?

Also on the back of the AVID interfaces there are some trim knows which we can align all ins and outs. So how should be the whole alignment? Should I send a 1KHz 1Volt signal line in to every channel of the interface ? And how much Db's should be appearing in pro tools?

After that the same 1KHz 1V we could you to send the signal from the deal to the interface and in pro tools how much should it be appearing and why?

Cheers
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

the -10 input has another stage on it.
Old 10th December 2013
Gear Maniac

And what would that mean?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search