The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgrading an API 8200a or not?
Old 9th December 2013
Gear Head

Upgrading an API 8200a or not?

Another summing mixer thread....
I really don't know: I have the opportunity to upgrade my API 8200a mixer to16 channels (adding a second 8200)
I really like it a lot.
OR upgrading buying a 16 ch mixer (neve, burl, tube tech etc).
But I really can't try them all. Plus I really like the API except the pots are "free" and i have to calibrate all the channels to be level transparent.
(One thing I dig in the API is the insert you can bypass.
I've got a few hardware I can really bypass...)

Thanks guys.

Ps: I have a Gml compressor on the 2 bus. An Apollo quad and uad2 quad, API 554 eqs, Elysia comp and Forsell MADA converter. Will need and extra 8ch da as well )
Old 9th December 2013
Lives for gear

The 8200A's are badass! Little API consoles in a rack. I have 2 myself and wouldn't part with them... they sound and work so well and are so versatile as far as connectivity in my hybrid setup. I'd recommend adding a second unit for 16 channels. They also don't make them anymore so think twice before selling!

Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

8200 of course.
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, just add the 8200 to the 8200A using the ribbon cable. I am currently using this pair as the basis for a mini mixer, and it works a treat. Very versatile. The only thing I would like to figure out is how to build and use a fader pack for it, but not necessary. The only unit close to this pairing that I had considered is the Neve 8816 with the 8804 Fader Pack.
Old 10th December 2013
Gear Head

OK this is typically a slutty response !
I love my 8200a too!
So I will go this way. What about the cable between the 2 units?
I am not sure I will get one with my other 8200. It is nothing like a standard, right?
Can I find one somewhere?
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewing View Post
OK this is typically a slutty response !
I love my 8200a too!
So I will go this way. What about the cable between the 2 units?
I am not sure I will get one with my other 8200. It is nothing like a standard, right?
Can I find one somewhere?
You can purchase the cable directly from API - and yes to the question : another 8200.
Old 10th December 2013
Gear Head

Cool! Thanks Jack!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search