The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
3 questions about Adam S3X-H monitor speakers and CS Avocet
Old 9th December 2013
Gear Head
3 questions about Adam S3X-H monitor speakers and CS Avocet

Hi, fellow members!

While building a home studio (everything will be covered by me after it's done) I've crushed into 3 complex questions:

1) I'm planning to connect Adam S3X-H's to my CS Avocet. On Soundpure.com I've found out that CS Avocet's output is +25 dBm.
So do I need to trim output level of Avocet or no attenuation needed? Should I use attenuation pads or decrease input sensitivity on control panel of Adam S3X-H's?

2) It's stated by Adam that S3X-H are midfield monitors. I'm planning to set them aside from each other to 2.6m. Is it too much? Should I decrease this distance or it's OK?

3) I'm planning to use Planet Waves speaker/microphone cables. Will there be significant sound quality losses due to using these cables?

Sorry if I misplaced this thread.

I really need your help, guys!
Old 11th December 2013
Gear Head
So can somebody help me with this stuff?
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

1. Can´t see any reason to attenuate the signal other than the lowest setting of the volume knob is already too loud for you . If so - the trims on the Adams are just fine.

2. I remember an Adam-representative saying 2m is pretty much the perfect distance.

3. I say no. But the cable-wars ain´t over yet ...
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

1. I would only trim the input on the ADAMs if it's too loud for your room, or the the inputs are overloading.

2. this is a function of your room and your preference.. I have my ADAMs 8 feet (2.6m?) away because I like it.. and I had my room designed to work that way. I don't use monitors near-field. Your room may or may not support that distance accurately.

3. I also say no

I have some Planet Waves cables here.. mine have great shielding and nice, solid connectors. I have a lot of Mogami here as well. It may indeed sound better, but I can't hear it if it does.. and, what would "better" sound like, in a cable?
Old 11th December 2013
Gear Head
1st - Thank you, guys!
2nd - I'll experiment with the setup and post the comparison between panel trimming and attenuators here. But I see your points!
And 3rd - Is it possible that if I put ADAMs to far away (if 2.6m is too far away for them) I'll get some distorted stereo field or freq response?
About cables - I was asking to confirm it's OK to use these cables

Thanks again!
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

Not sure about the S3X, but on the S2A's the trim knob SERIUOSLY degraded the sound when they were all the way down. At unity they sounded fine...
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

I keep my S3X-H's at unity gain and adjust as needed with the monitor controller.
Old 12th December 2013
Gear Head
2 spencerc
I was thinking about it too, 'cause Klaus Heinz once said that Sx-series intended to sound without any adjustment on control panel.

2 shelterr
You know I wouldn't want to get my speaker damaged by CS Avocet (it has +25dBm of max output).

Now I'm going to use atennuator pads, so if I crank Avocet to max it won't damage my S3X-H's
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveZer0 View Post
2 spencerc
I was thinking about it too, 'cause Klaus Heinz once said that Sx-series intended to sound without any adjustment on control panel.

2 shelterr
You know I wouldn't want to get my speaker damaged by CS Avocet (it has +25dBm of max output).

Now I'm going to use atennuator pads, so if I crank Avocet to max it won't damage my S3X-H's
I guess my comment was misunderstood. I'm pretty sure the gain can be adjusted on the CS so you can leave the Adam's flat. I know it can be on my Dangerous Monitor ST and I have mine flat. I also have to wonder if the S3X-H can reasonably be blown. I've had some crazy random loud noises hit them and I think I'd sooner go in to cardiac arrest than blow one of these things.
Old 12th December 2013
Gear Head
2 shelterr
Thanx man! I'm digging into it right now.
If CS Avocet has +4dBu output level then no attenuation needed.
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

And I believe it does so you should be good to go!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search