The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve or Thermionic Culture?
Old 8th December 2013
Gear Head

Neve or Thermionic Culture?

Hi guys,

I'd like to know what you all think about the following:

Neve Portico 5015 (Mic Pre/Compressor)
Thermionic Culture HG15 (Valve Mic Pre/Compressor)

I've had the Neve Portico for a while now, and I love it - great sound, can't go wrong with it. Love the fact it has a separate input for the compressor, if needed.

However, I recently tried out the Thermionic Culture HG15 (phoenix) and fell in love with it. I found it much easier to get creative with and seemed like it had more options to play with . Perhaps the main difference was to do with the valve and the way you could drive it, or perhaps simply because it works in a completely different type of way.

Has anybody tried both?

Have any thoughts?
Old 9th December 2013
Lives for gear

I prefer the Great River MP-NV preamps to the RND stuff in terms of new school sounds that build on the blocks of the older Neve designs.

I think the Thermionic Culture Early Bird preamps are the best tube preamps I've ever used...followed closely by the D.W. Fearn and Pendulum Audio stuff (They're all unique.) I don't know if the Early Bird is the same design as the HG15...but I would try to get them side by side and just make a choice from there or keep both to have for larger track counts.
Old 9th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
I prefer the Great River MP-NV preamps to the RND stuff in terms of new school sounds that building on the blocks of the older Neve designs.

I think the Thermionic Culture Early Bird preamps are the best tube preamps I've ever used...followed closely by the D.W. Fearn and Pendulum Audio stuff (They're all unique.) I don't know if the Early Bird is the same design as the HG15...but I would try to get them side by side and just make a choice from there or keep both to have for larger track counts.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search