The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focusrite isa428
Old 8th December 2013
Gear Addict

Focusrite isa428

I just wanted to express my new found fondness for this mic pre. Great sound, phenomenal value.
That is all.
Old 8th December 2013
Gear Head

Mk I or II?

I have a mk II, and have been quite happy with the preamp. It is a great "all-rounder", and the 8 channel lightpipe is a fantastic extra feature. Very nice piece. I like how it handles drum transients, especially.
Old 8th December 2013
Gear Addict

Mk2. I just used it for the first time today on some piano,digital piano thru the inst and some vox. It handled all of them really nicely. For some reason I have always shy'd away from focusrite... Maybe due to the lower end stuff or digi design affiliation with the original mbox?not sure why, but this is a fantastic box!
Old 8th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldencd View Post
I just wanted to express my new found fondness for this mic pre. Great sound, phenomenal value.
That is all.
I've been a long time owner/user/supporter of Focusrite dating back to the late 1990's. They get a fair amount of undeserved bad press which I don't understand, they make great-sounding gear. I find it interesting to read of those slamming it, saying it's not pro---yet there are countless professionals using them all over the world whether it's artists directly, studios, television production studios, sound-designers, etc.... I know first hand, I work with these every day. The ISA428 and ISA828 represent an amazing value! What I appreciate is the slight coloration, just enough to round everything out but not so much that it completely changes the sound. While at the same time it's a clean sound, but not sterile. It's just a little bit of this, a little of that---and never too much.
Old 8th December 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
What I appreciate is the slight coloration, just enough to round everything out but not so much that it completely changes the sound. While at the same time it's a clean sound, but not sterile. It's just a little bit of this, a little of that---and never too much.
Exactly what I found out today. Well put.
Old 8th December 2013
i have a ISA828 for sale!
pm if someone is interested!
Old 8th December 2013
I love my 428 a lot. Besides the great sound the digital option is really solid and sounds great. The inserts are really useful, as are the line ins and hpf. It's a big part of my setup.
Old 8th December 2013
Gear Maniac

Isa 828 and shoeps cm6 + mk 21 for a super clear Acoustic guitar
Old 8th December 2013
Glad this pre is getting a little love here! There is so much bad press on this thing.
Old 8th December 2013
Had my 428 for close to 10 years. I love it.
Old 9th December 2013
I've been using a 428 Mark 1 for years. Absolutely love it. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Old 9th December 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick8801 View Post
Glad this pre is getting a little love here! There is so much bad press on this thing.
I actually found the reviews to be flattering. Neve designed and everyone seemed to love it, especially for the price. Do people knock it on GS?
I'll admit that I would have overlooked it, but prior to my searching it out on a whim, I didn't hear much one way or the other about it.
Old 9th December 2013
Gear Head

+1 on the love for the ISA 428.

The only accessory this preamp needs is a ventilated top cover - it runs astoundingly hot! I've seen one fellow produce a CNC'd cover with a regular hole pattern that looked nice. Too bad it wasn't available commercially.

best,
3M_10
Old 9th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldencd View Post
I actually found the reviews to be flattering. Neve designed and everyone seemed to love it, especially for the price. Do people knock it on GS?
I'll admit that I would have overlooked it, but prior to my searching it out on a whim, I didn't hear much one way or the other about it.
I'm sorry....I meant here on gearslutz. There are people who dig it, but people call it bland, boring, ect. That's what I was talking about. The newer version doesn't get as hot as the mark 1.
Old 9th December 2013
Lives for gear

Don't have experience with the isa's but regarding the bashing of Focustite, they are a brand that offer gear at different pricepoints. I think the concensus is that the ISA and Red lines are very high quality products and favourable. Maybe less distinctive flavour the a Neve (my guess, i dunno), but thats good in various applications. The dissing is probably more to do with their Digidesign connection, the silver, and the green line products which where probably never targeted for the mid/hi-end market/end users anyway.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search