The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which Preamps for this Style of Music?
Old 7th December 2013
  #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
I remember really liking the channel strip, especially for overheads paired with ribbon mics. They make quality stuff for sure.
Of course, the OP doesn't have it so it's just talk. My questions for Joshua would first, what kind of mics do you have? What other gear is at your disposal? Most importantly, when you close your eyes, what kind of sound do you imagine? ARe there drums? Are they super dry? Are they played in a live room? Is the focus of the recordings the singer and his guitar or is the guitar going to be part of a larger soundscape? Once you know what you are going for you will find that the specific gear, especially given your list, is less important than keeping tabs on capturing the sound that you ultimately want to hear in the end.
Old 7th December 2013
  #32
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Trask View Post
Of course, the OP doesn't have it so it's just talk. My questions for Joshua would first, what kind of mics do you have? What other gear is at your disposal? Most importantly, when you close your eyes, what kind of sound do you imagine? ARe there drums? Are they super dry? Are they played in a live room? Is the focus of the recordings the singer and his guitar or is the guitar going to be part of a larger soundscape? Once you know what you are going for you will find that the specific gear, especially given your list, is less important than keeping tabs on capturing the sound that you ultimately want to hear in the end.
Like I said in my first post, I'm not looking for gear. I'm getting the sound I want. I just wanted to know what other people would find appropriate if they were me.
Old 7th December 2013
  #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Wise View Post
Like I said in my first post, I'm not looking for gear. I'm getting the sound I want. I just wanted to know what other people would find appropriate if they were me.
Uh huh, that's kind of what I said. I was asking you about your microphones and your other outboard gear besides preamps and what kind of sound you were going for.
Old 7th December 2013
  #34
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Trask View Post
Uh huh, that's kind of what I said. I was asking you about your microphones and your other outboard gear besides preamps and what kind of sound you were going for.
I recently sold a lot of gear because I decided that I like to have fewer gear to get intimate with, rather than a cornucopia. So right now I've got Portico, API, Crane Song, with Apogee Converters, and a wide variety of microphones including Shure, AT, Neumann, and a few others.

I generally like to track pretty clean, but not sterile. I find that the easiest approach to mix with. The kind of sound I go for is... Soft, wide, gentle transients, kind of like the music is giving you a big hug
At least, that's the style that people come to me for (although I'm no expert by any means). And that's the style I like on my personal music as well.

EDIT:
Quote:
Is the focus of the recordings the singer and his guitar or is the guitar going to be part of a larger soundscape?
It goes back and forth; it depends on the song obviously, and I've mixed songs in each of those directions.
Old 8th December 2013
  #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Wise View Post
I recently sold a lot of gear because I decided that I like to have fewer gear to get intimate with, rather than a cornucopia.
EDIT:

It goes back and forth; it depends on the song obviously, and I've mixed songs in each of those directions.
I get that. i have a bit of a cornucopia myself after many years of only having a few nice pieces. Suddenly, I started finding myself having to stop and think. I can't speak to your specific situation but for me, if I am recording a whole band at once, I make very deliberate choices of pre-amp and microphone. If I'm tracking one instrument at a time, I tend to use the same thing or couple of things over and over until I get to something that doesn't sound right and then I switch. Once you have a few nice things, for me anyway, it's, to a point, more about how you use them then what you use.
If I had your list, I suppose I would track drums and any ballsy guitars with your APIs and track the acoustics and vocals and gentler pad sounds with the portico. If you have anything with tubes and a Hi-z input I'd use that for bass. I'd use SDCs on the acoustics when they are going to be part of the blend but LDC's if I were looking to create the feeling of a singer songwriter giving a performance. But that's just off the top of my head.
What is your plan?

Last edited by Stephen Trask; 8th December 2013 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: typo? braino? I typed reverb instead of EQ.
Old 8th December 2013
  #36
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Trask View Post
I get that. i have a bit of a cornucopia myself after many years of only having a few nice pieces. Suddenly, I started finding myself having to stop and think. I can't speak to your specific situation but for me, if I am recording a whole band at once, I make very deliberate choices of pre-amp and microphone. If I'm tracking on instrument at a time, I tend to use the same thing or couple of things over and over until I get to something that doesn't sound right and then I switch. Once you have a few nice things, for me anyway, it's, to a point, more about how you use them then what you use.
If I had your list, I suppose I would track drums and any ballsy guitars with your APIs and track the acoustics and vocals and gentler pad sounds with the portico. If you have anything with tubes and a Hi-z input I'd use that for bass. I'd use SDCs on the acoustics when they are going to be part of the blend but LDC's if I were looking to create the feeling of a singer songwriter giving a performance. But that's just off the top of my head.
What is your plan?
Thanks for the feedback. I usually find myself doing exactly what you said actually. Although I lack a tube preamp, I'm looking to pick up David Hill's Crane Song Syren in January. It's a 500 series vacuum tube preamp, and a nice tube pre is something I am missing. Normally I'd be cautious about 500 series tube gear, but I have the Crane Song Falcon compressor, which is also tube, and it's damn past fantastic. I've been interested in a neve 1081, but the price is a little higher than what it's worth to me. In terms of mics, I could honestly just use another 10 SM81s
Old 8th December 2013
  #37
Lives for gear
 
herecomesyourman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Wise View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I usually find myself doing exactly what you said actually. Although I lack a tube preamp, I'm looking to pick up David Hill's Crane Song Syren in January. It's a 500 series vacuum tube preamp, and a nice tube pre is something I am missing. Normally I'd be cautious about 500 series tube gear, but I have the Crane Song Falcon compressor, which is also tube, and it's damn past fantastic. I've been interested in a neve 1081, but the price is a little higher than what it's worth to me. In terms of mics, I could honestly just use another 10 SM81s
The least expensive route to get somewhere in that ballpark would be a Seventh Circle Audio N72 in a 2U rack...paired with a Chandler Little Devil EQ in a 500 series rack.

A better, more expensive clone would be the Heritage 8873...which looks friggin' great. But when you throw in the cost of an 8 slot rack the price for the first channel goes up.

The most flexible, modern, and cost effective in terms of functions is a Great River MP-2NV and EQ-2NV when you break down cost per channel.

I think I would pick one of those three over a vintage unit these days just to keep myself from destroying my credit.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump