The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does Anyone know of a Vintage API Console for Sale ?
Old 6th May 2014
  #31
Gear Nut
Hi Hamburg
Have you try the undertone console ? Maybe its a good option for you
Old 21st May 2014
  #32
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
I just got an email from Odessey Pro Sound, and They have a vintage 2488 listed.
Vintage API "Melville" 2488 24x8x16 console
Old 21st May 2014
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Hamburg58's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I just got an email from Odessey Pro Sound, and They have a vintage 2488 listed.
Vintage API "Melville" 2488 24x8x16 console
Thanks for the heads up and keepin yer eyes open! 24 is still a bit too small for me. Those 8 extra channels make all the difference in the world when mixing. I have had a 32 channel for 4 years and worked it out just right to mix that way. This is a really cool board. And it's really cool that more are starting to surface.
Old 21st May 2014
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Hamburg58's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alerte338 View Post
Hi Hamburg
Have you try the undertone console ? Maybe its a good option for you

I actually have tried it. Eric let me run a mix down at his studio. If I was only mixing, and that was all I did, there's no doubt in my mind I would buy that board.

But I track a lot too. They're not currently made with preamps. They're a mix only board.

But my God that is the most mind blowing EQ I have ever used in my life. I'm going to buy a pair of them so I can use them at my place. Eric is doing mixers a real favor over there. That board was made for mixing and mixing musically. It's laid out so logical. If it weren't for the whole tracking side of things, I'd definitely be in line for one
Old 21st May 2014
  #35
Gear Addict
 

I don´t want to derail the thread, but have you considered the wunderbar? and If so, why is not an option? 36channels are going for 130k and even though it´s above your budget you would get a brand new console which will have a good resale value if one day you decide to part with it. I´ve been thinking about adding a loaded 12channel myself...
Old 21st May 2014
  #36
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgventil View Post
I don´t want to derail the thread, but have you considered the wunderbar? and If so, why is not an option? 36channels are going for 130k and even though it´s above your budget you would get a brand new console which will have a good resale value if one day you decide to part with it. I´ve been thinking about adding a loaded 12channel myself...
130K
yeah its pretty but 4 buss and 4 aux..super limited for mixing on a large format console.
3 band eqs are very broad..very high fi sounding console.absolutely sounds nothing like the vibe of a vintage API.
I had the mic pre/eq's years ago,nice and clean.lotta people like them.I sold them for more vintage vibey stuff.
Old 21st May 2014
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Hamburg58's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
130K
yeah its pretty but 4 buss and 4 aux..super limited for mixing on a large format console.
3 band eqs are very broad..very high fi sounding console.absolutely sounds nothing like the vibe of a vintage API.
I had the mic pre/eq's years ago,nice and clean.lotta people like them.I sold them for more vintage vibey stuff.
I 100% agree. I've looked at new consoles. The new AMS Neve stuff, Wunder, new API, New Rupert Neve. None of these interest me. First of all none of them support tape returns. Which I use a lot of. And they're all super limited in their bussing. I love Neve type boards. But I want an API. And a vintage one.
Old 23rd May 2014
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Helge's Avatar
 

You´ve probably seen this one(?):
API 32-Channel Early '70s Console (Vintage)
Old 23rd May 2014
  #39
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helge View Post
You´ve probably seen this one(?):
API 32-Channel Early '70s Console (Vintage)
Guess you haven't read the previous page of this thread?
Old 24th May 2014
  #40
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburg58 View Post
I 100% agree. I've looked at new consoles. The new AMS Neve stuff, Wunder, new API, New Rupert Neve. None of these interest me. First of all none of them support tape returns. Which I use a lot of. And they're all super limited in their bussing. I love Neve type boards. But I want an API. And a vintage one.
I believe the Legacy and Legacy+ both have tape returns.


I get you're wanting a vintage desk, and I'm not trying to persuade you. I'm just sayin'
Old 24th May 2014
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Hamburg58's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I believe the Legacy and Legacy+ both have tape returns.


I get you're wanting a vintage desk, and I'm not trying to persuade you. I'm just sayin'
Yeah the Legacy is nothing like a vintage API. The EQ's sure. But the preamps are a sacrifice compared to the originals. I don't like the bright shrilly sound they produce. And they don't have anywhere near the low end of these older API desks. Or the mojo.

And the new legacy do not support tape returns. They're not inline and dont have monitor sections.

I dont understand why Neve copy cats are a dime a dozen these days. With 4 of them making consoles! But no one is tackling the vintage API. Not even API.
Old 24th May 2014
  #42
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburg58 View Post
Yeah the Legacy is nothing like a vintage API. The EQ's sure. But the preamps are a sacrifice compared to the originals. I don't like the bright shrilly sound they produce. And they don't have anywhere near the low end of these older API desks. Or the mojo.

And the new legacy do not support tape returns. They're not inline and dont have monitor sections.

I dont understand why Neve copy cats are a dime a dozen these days. With 4 of them making consoles! But no one is tackling the vintage API. Not even API.
Worked on vintage 3288 for 8 years, now I've got a 1608 and a bunch of vintage API Stuff .it's a more modern thing but not hearing the shrill thing your describing. I've messed with different op amp combos.fun.
Tons of low end too.
Jeff @ Capi is doing the vintage API trip really well.ive got a bunch of his stuff. Great
He's making a full console soon.maybe hit him up for an ETA?
Old 25th May 2014
  #43
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburg58 View Post
And the new legacy do not support tape returns. They're not inline and dont have monitor sections.
That just makes no sense to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburg58 View Post
I dont understand why Neve copy cats are a dime a dozen these days. With 4 of them making consoles! But no one is tackling the vintage API. Not even API.
I wonder how much that has to do with how API deals with copycats.
Old 23rd July 2014
  #44
Lives for gear
 
Hamburg58's Avatar
 

Still looking for a vintage API console if anyone hears of one out there.....

The Vintage King one is still for sale and still way out the reasonable price range for one of these boards.

Odyssey Pro has one but it's too small for us.
Old 24th July 2014
  #46
Lives for gear
 
Hamburg58's Avatar
 

Quote:
Very cute.
Old 24th July 2014
  #47
Lives for gear
 
Vintageidiot's Avatar
Just load it up. A gem.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump