The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 33609 JD a great compressor and a recall nightmare
Old 9th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo4u View Post
OK, so now I understand what's going on. As I mentioned, mine is an older unit without this issue, so it was hard to wrap my brain around. Someone earlier probably nailed it. Neve used the original stencil markings and ended up having to use a different stepped pot. It's a bit old school, but what I do is I've made up a chart in a graphics program of the front of all my analog gear, I've printed out a stack and I pencil mark where I've set each dial. That way you could mark the in-between settings of the JD and with any extra paper, you can write a letter to AMS Neve what a dumb-ass move it was to make this compromise. OK, maybe just e-mail them. They had to have known this would be an issue.

The other possibility is that, if you bought it used, a pot or two have been replaced. Highly unlikely though.
Thanks, I'll write them, I've bought the unit used but only one month old.. if it were one or two pots I'd find a way around it but since we are talking about all the pots on the unit it is indeed highly unlikely.. if it's a problem with all the JD's maybe TeaboyAudio could change the range on their JD template to the actual pots positions rather the positions its designed for
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonengineer View Post
Keeping things in perspective would probably help here. Counting the clicks to recall the unit is not going to jeopardise your ability to support your family.
Taking things out of context to try to make someone else sound stupid on an internet forum is not being helpful, it's just being nasty. what I've wrote was an answer to AllAboutTone who has wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
Not being a smart ass but get over the recall thing
Impossible @ 2013 if what you do is engineering in a commercial facility. it is possible for a producer\engineer using a private setup and can theoretically take two weeks to work on one project without moving his setup
Quote:
What do AMS Neve say about it? You have contacted them before posting here, right?
Sure, just like you have contacted me before posting here, right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
I just dont move to the next mix until the current one is done. Settles the recall problem.
I've tried to work like that for a while until our studio manager has said she can't work like that because she can't handle 5 schedule changes a week on the studio's calendar so we have switched to SSL for its perfect total recall ability and changed most of the gear with vari pots to dented steps..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
In this day and age, gear that's sloppy about it's recall ability is just sad.

I'd really expect gear designers to know better but then again a lot of times the people that build the gear don't actually use it and so many things that make practical common sense are sadly missed or looked over.

Regards,
Frank
Exactly !
Old 9th December 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
Taking things out of context to try to make someone else sound stupid on an internet forum is not being helpful, it's just being nasty. what I've wrote was an answer to AllAboutTone
Nope, you've taken his reply out of context
Quote:
Sure, just like you have contacted me before posting here, right ?
Why on earth would I contact you? You started a discussion in a public forum, and I am commenting on it as I see fit. The first thing I would do in a situation like this is contact my dealer (if it was a new purchase) and if I didn't get a satisfactory response then the manufacturer and get their take on it. I think it's weird to not contact them, and weirder still to get aggressive about it when called out about it here.

Your grievance against the markings is a genuine one but a stereo compressor with detented pots is not a hard device to recall.
Old 9th December 2013
Quote:
Nope, you've taken his reply out of context
I did not. allaboutone's attitude towards TR IN GENERAL is different than mine (which is totally cool if it works for him of course) please read his post again.
Quote:
Why on earth would I contact you? You started a discussion in a public forum, and I am commenting on it as I see fit.
Exactly, so do I. therefore I don't see any reason I should contact anyone first before I start a thread or posting on GS
Quote:
The first thing I would do in a situation like this is contact my dealer (if it was a new purchase) and if I didn't get a satisfactory response then the manufacturer and get their take on it. I think it's weird to not contact them, and weirder still to get aggressive about it when called out about it here.
I agree and I will contact them, but in the same time I'm not talking about a particular problem in my particular unit but a design flaw in the JD.
For the price of a Neve compressor I would personally expect proper quality control, I didn't mean to be aggressive bro. only frustrated.
Quote:
Your grievance against the markings is a genuine one but a stereo compressor with detented pots is not a hard device to recall.
It's true I can work my way around it, but in the same time I don't have any of this problems with any other unit (containing stepped pots) in my racks:
GML 9500
Maselec MLA-2
Maselec MLA-3
Manley MP (mastering)
API 5500
API 550b's
Neve 1064's
or even my custom 33609(a)..
Old 9th December 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
therefore I don't see any reason I should contact anyone first before I start a thread or posting on GS
This is where you and I differ, as the manufacturers are the only ones who stand a chance of sorting it out I'd have got their opinion first.

Any word from Teaboy software as that would also make things easier?

Good luck either way, it's worth pursuing - the 33609JD is such a great compressor, just wish I could afford one...
Old 9th December 2013
Quote:
This is where you and I differ, as the manufacturers are the only ones who stand a chance of sorting it out I'd have got their opinion first.

Any word from Teaboy software as that would also make things easier?

Good luck either way, it's worth pursuing - the 33609JD is such a great compressor, just wish I could afford one...
I agree, The 33609JD is sonically one of the best compressors out there at any price IMO, I actually wanted to have more of them since it's complimenting the AWS console so well but I guess I'm gonna take RoundBadge recommendations and check out the BAE 10DC.. it's way cheaper and very straight forward.
Old 10th December 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
I just dont move to the next mix until the current one is done. Settles the recall problem.
So true dude, my artist learn to deal without recall, if they don't like it find another studio around thats better with better gear that has recall......nada it's not here, thats one leg up I have about that subject.

Think about this, some of our best music from the 70s did not have recall, major hits that we still listen to everyday.

I think artist need to put all there strength toward being the best artist they can be and have really amazing songs, just not good songs, then you don't need recall.

Why would anyone need recall if you have crappy rooms, crap gear, bad songs etc.

Frankly I love rebuilding a mix, I seem to bring something better to the table.
Old 10th December 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
So true dude, my artist learn to deal without recall, if they don't like it find another studio around thats better with better gear that has recall......nada it's not here, thats one leg up I have about that subject.

Think about this, some of our best music from the 70s did not have recall, major hits that we still listen to everyday.

I think artist need to put all there strength toward being the best artist they can be and have really amazing songs, just not good songs, then you don't need recall.

Why would anyone need recall if you have crappy rooms, crap gear, bad songs etc.

Frankly I love rebuilding a mix, I seem to bring something better to the table.
unfortunately for some professional workflows it doesn't always work that way.
I'm all for all school.love it and do it when I can.
but these are modern times.
when you have fussy clients and juggling a few projects,its just the way it is sometimes."mix perfect but please bass down 1/2 db in chorus,bking vx up a 1/2 db etc etc.
rebuilding from scratch isn't remotely practical.
Old 10th December 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
when you have fussy clients and juggling a few projects,its just the way it is sometimes."mix perfect but please bass down 1/2 db in chorus,bking vx up a 1/2 db etc etc.
I try to understand both sides, I hate messing with anal artist and rather they stay away than to put up with them vs the $$$
You or anyone else knows your room and whats best for the artist, it's when they do not listen is when they return for a remix, recall, another reason why I DO NOT do any studio work per song, not even block rates, its all by the hour and if you return you are charged.
Old 10th December 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
I try to understand both sides, I hate messing with anal artist and rather they stay away than to put up with them vs the $$$
You or anyone else knows your room and whats best for the artist, it's when they do not listen is when they return for a remix, recall, another reason why I DO NOT do any studio work per song, not even block rates, its all by the hour and if you return you are charged.
yes.i also deal with TV film people.outboard is usually NOT an option.waay too many updates,revisions,final tweaks etc etc
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I love clients like this - I charge by the hour (just like my lawyer)

got mix stems?
Old 10th December 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post

got mix stems?
always
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
a stereo compressor with detented pots is not a hard device to recall.
Counting the steps on a device is pretty easy, no? It's also commonplace. One only has to count about a dozen or so clicks. It's not hard at all--been doing for many years. Also, the people at TeaBoy are very responsive. If there is, in fact, an error on any of their templates, I've pointed it out, and sometimes they've corrected it on that same day. In any event, they've never failed to respond. I've done complicated recalls since the late 80's. We used Polaroid cameras, photocopied templates, and just pencil and paper. Recalls are as good as your assistant is. One time, we documented a tracking session for a jazz band. They came back a week later and wanted replay/re-record a 30 second solo section. So we did a FULL BAND insert. We cut it INTO the 2-inch multitrack! No one could tell there was an edit. It was a song called "Cherokee." I have to tip my hat to Anne S. who wrote everything down meticulously and the band, Roy Nathanson and The Jazz Passengers (album: "Little Fred"), who's playing was amazingly consistent!! Nowadays, since I work by myself a lot more,TeaBoy is really wonderful. Once you have a subscription, you can use it anywhere there's internet. It all gets stored on their server and it's easy to access. One can try it for free. Also, digital cameras are much more easy to use than Polaroid's were. Between the two, I've gotten flawless recalls time and again. Thanks.
Old 11th December 2013
Gear Guru

Back to the main subject, just how hard is it to trash a mix using a 33609 period.
It's rare I use the limiter but the compressor is a must weather its lightly or smacking the hell out of it, the mids are epic these guys deliver.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search