The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler Little Devil Compressor or EQ
View Poll Results: Which One?
Chandler Little Devil Compressor
5 Votes - 45.45%
Chandler Little Devil EQ
6 Votes - 54.55%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th December 2013
Lives for gear

Chandler Little Devil Compressor or EQ

Posting this in high-end because these are the people who've had the most exposure to these two, mods.

I'm faced a with a decision that has been driving me up the wall frustration. I've been talking to Wade at Chandler, and he told me he'd get the EQ, if he could only get one. However, I also love this compressor.

Here's my situation/take:

EQ: I like how bright the EQ can get without sounding overbearingly harsh. I often find myself not 100% satisfied with the EQs I've got currently. I don't just absolutely love the fact that it's got only two bass frequencies to boost at, but the sound of the mids and top end make me kind of look past that. I hear this thing can really add a lot of "beef" to the signal, and that's really attractive to me. I don't know if the compressor can do the same sort of "beef" by just running a signal through the unit.

Compressor: I like how it has the two comp curves, which is giving me almost two compressors in one — value added. It's got a great "punch you in the face" sort of factor about it, and it sounds like it's a good bit different than other gear out there — especially software compressors. If looks mattered a lot, this thing would definitely beat out the EQ. Anyhow, I loved the punchiness that was added, and it seemed to pretty much fit the ticket to exactly what I want to get in a compressor.

What I do: I do predominately electronic music with vocals — sort of like Owl City. I want to be able to add more vibrancy to my synths, and I really like to make things punchy with a good bit of air. I do tend to over compress some things, and I'm perfectly fine with that. I love to smash claps/snares to death, if that helps things out. BUT AT THE SAME TIME, I also like to add crispness and a nice amount of bottom end kick.

What I'll use it for: I'll use whatever I get on as much possible — vocals, electronic drums, acoustic drums, the occasional guitar, bass, bass synths, etc…

What I currently have: This would be my first, nice hardware effect item. I have got an UAD-2 setup with the API Collection (550a and 560) — which are my go to EQs, the Manley Massive Passive, the 1176 Collection, FATSO, LA2A, etc…. I also plan to probably get the cheap ART VLA II compressor along with whichever I get.

I can probably only get one of them, for now, so which do you guys think is the must have of the two? Or I should say, which of the two is going to offer more than what I've got now?

Any comments about these are much appreciated and welcomed!

Thanks!
Old 4th December 2013
Lives for gear

If you're only buying one. Get the EQ...and sell your other EQ's you're not as happy with to get a second one. Then you can use them as analog inserts on buses.

EQ's are much more important than compressors in my world, but I love the Chandler Germanium (It's still the best compressor I've ever used.), so saving up for a pair of both little devils is a solid move in my book.

I would only buy in pairs, regardless of however much you rely on digital, because giving yourself the ability to process in stereo with a great analog chain is often more powerful than owning a summing mixer. (Most summing mixer designs only have two transformers on the stereo bus. But a pair of EQ's, followed by a pair of compressors can have three or four sets of transformers in line to beef up a stereo source, submix, or 2Bus in the box.)

That EQ is the closest thing to a Great River EQ-2NV in the 500 series (*Which is the king of the console style EQ's in my book.) It's a bit different overall, but I still really enjoy it, and it plays well with the JLM PEQ500's that I really favor for progam EQ on the 2Bus. Especially it's 12KHz shelving for boosting the top end of a mix or a vocal. (When you layer in the JLM later on in a chain in a 10Khz shelving boost things get blend really well, with very large sounding vocals.) I would think about a pair of both in the long run, and maybe an Elysia Xpressor, Serpent Audio SB4001, Smart C1LA, or Dramastic Obsidian to act as a soft/hard limiter last in chain if you're staying all 500 series. (Something stereo VCA...or in the Smarts case stereo/dual mono.)

I'm not a big UAD guy...so I'm in the camp that prefers the WAVES API models even though they're a pain to gain-stage...and who also would rather own a real massive passive over the plugin...so in any setup I'm going to advocate going hybrid whenever possible for at least one pair of good analog EQ's.
Old 4th December 2013
Gear Nut

A nice punchy analog compressor goes a long way for electronic music. I have quite a few of the classic compressor uad plug ins and my one analog overstayer fet compressor nails the drums better than any of them.
Old 4th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid.dom. View Post
A nice punchy analog compressor goes a long way for electronic music. I have quite a few of the classic compressor uad plug ins and my one analog overstayer fet compressor nails the drums better than any of them.
True. But an RNC or an RNLA would nail the drums better than any UAD compressor I've tried too, and if you balance either of them with an RNP it's not even a contest at that point.

What you can't do with a compressor alone is maximize apparent volume. The Slate VBC and FX-G are a different story than the UAD stuff, that's a couple virtual compressors I'm finding to be very competitive in this regard due to them both having features like parallel compression (VBC) and soft clipping (FX-G) which help with retaining transient response.
Old 4th December 2013
Lives for gear

Funny. I'd do the opposite. If you have plug in EQ the hardware compressor will make a substantial improvement over any plug.

And the LDs are one of the only 500s I think sound great (other being 525s).
Old 4th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstory View Post
Funny. I'd do the opposite. If you have plug in EQ the hardware compressor will make a substantial improvement over any plug.

And the LDs are one of the only 500s I think sound great (other being 525s).
See...I dunno...a Manley Massive Passive for example does a lot more to the audio in my world than a Vari-Mu...certainly it's more powerful than an 1176 or clone, etc.

Swiss Army Knife compressors like a Slate Dragon, Chandler Germanium, or a Distressor can really effect the sound, but they've got way deeper controls.

The best inductor based EQ designs (especially when coupled with transformers) I think have a dramatic effect, even more so for processing in stereo, but I realize that many people tend to favor less colorful, "clean" sounding hardware EQ's for some reason. (Where I think software really CAN compete since it can get way more surgical and gives you the option for programmable presets. Hence why I tend to prefer many clean software EQ's over say SSL J series EQ's, etc.)

"Cleaner" sounding topologies are just easier to model than designs which add more THD with transformers, or tubes, etc. And even the best cleaner analog EQ's aren't going to have the same features as a great plugin. Also if you have an extra $50 and you are a UAD guy, I recommend the Cambridge EQ for this line of reasoning.
Old 5th December 2013
Lives for gear

I did the compressor, and I got a Lindell EQ, too. I'm excited to try hardware out for the first time.
Old 6th December 2013
Eq's over compressors here. I tend to compress and compress less these days and I hip hop.
Old 6th December 2013
Lives for gear

With how I do drums, I couldn't see myself finding this compressor running out of uses anytime soon.
Old 7th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark View Post
With how I do drums, I couldn't see myself finding this compressor running out of uses anytime soon.
It's a mini Germanium...so CUTE! No seriously though, those are great compressors. Good for you meng!
Old 7th December 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

I don't wanna be a downer and
if you like the LD Comp,great but as I've mentioned before, I've been really underwhelmed by it overall.I don't care for how the gain structure works and unless you're really slamming the input its hard to get any real character out of it for bass and vocals..

This would explain why Ive maintained its Like it was designed for drum buss use,in pairs.if I did a lot of drums, I could see loving a pair for that purpose but its not what I hoped for for vocals and bass....
Old 7th December 2013
Lives for gear

The EQ is really great. It has some of the smoothest treble and mid boosts I've heard. Its amazing how much clarity and presence you can add without the nastiness that can come when boosting in that range..

The low band and the filters are superb as well, though the low band is a tad limited on frequency choices.

Just simply fantastic sounding tone overall.
Old 8th December 2013
Lives for gear

I'm really wanting it to do some great things on vocals. But you guys think it's not good for that?
If I hate it or feel extremely underwhelmed, then I may return it to get the EQ, if I can afford it.
Carry, yeah, it's supposedly pretty similar to the Germanium. Thanks a lot for the advice you've given.
Anyhow, I thought this would be a very versatile compressor and great as my first hardware compressor.
Old 8th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark View Post
I'm really wanting it to do some great things on vocals. But you guys think it's not good for that?
If I hate it or feel extremely underwhelmed, then I may return it to get the EQ, if I can afford it.
Carry, yeah, it's supposedly pretty similar to the Germanium. Thanks a lot for the advice you've given.
Anyhow, I thought this would be a very versatile compressor and great as my first hardware compressor.
NP man!

I used my Germs on vocals for years, they were my only outboard comps for almost 5 years straight other than FMR stuff. I don't see it being an issue. I also tend to drive the Germs hard too, but that pushes the transformers, which is part of the joy of the sound. When you get it PM me and I'll try to help you out with getting an approximate of my Germ Vocal settings.
Old 8th December 2013
Lives for gear

If you're looking at it for vox I would consider a double wide (retro). Nice on bass too.
Old 8th December 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

I certainly don't "hate it" at all. I just was under the the impression it would be highly colored like the API 525 I love so much.You can run signal through the 525 in bypass mode and still really hear character,especially on vocals.

The mix control sure is great though and something I'd love to see on most compressors
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search