The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
More Motown questions!
Old 2nd December 2013
Here for the gear

More Motown questions!

Doing a Motown-revue project and I have a few questions (they've actually been on my mind for years, but haven't had a great reason to aggregate them all here!) If Bob's around, he'd know all this stuff…

RE: Motown Reverb -- "two chambers and a 140"
Q: Any suggestions as to what plug-in or convolution reverbs fit the bill for the chambers?
The snare (+tambourine) verb on Dancing in the Street come to mind.
Stop in the Name of Love vocal reverb is nice, but the motown sound in my head is definitely the earlier mono vocals w/ mono verb.

Q: Has anyone ever captured IRs of the attic reverb chambers? Any ideas again on replicating their sound? Decay time? What speakers and mics were up there?

Q: The DI's for the guitars--was there any sort of tone stack/EQ at all before the DI boxes or was all their tone shaped at the console?

Q: That distorted snare drum!!! Was that happening at the console or on the tape? In the Ain't No Mountain High Enough multi tracks, there's the primary drum set which has got 'that sound', and then the overdubbed drums which are MUCH cleaner. Any tricks on that snare sound (I can't imagine from what I've read there was any compression to tape--so was that all tape overdrive?).

Q: The 3-channel stuff -- I'm kind-of a youngster, so pardon the question -- what tape brand and formulation was being used at the time? I've read the stories about reusing tape…Also, on the first generation basic tracks reel, what was summed on each of the 3 tracks? Was bass summed with drums on channel 1? Was percussion summed with drums?

Q: The organ--direct, correct? Was it a B3/C3 or another model? I'm pretty happy with the tones I've got but just checking, just because.

Q: Bass -- the obvious goes without saying -- in the 3-track days, what was bass sharing a track with? Was it bass & percussion, or…? Any compression or processing to tape or just a big-ol transformer DI? How hot was the bass pushed to tape? Jamerson played pretty hard it sounds like by the iso tracks. Was there a specific low-pass setting--I think I remember someone commenting he played with his tone knob rolled way down?

That's about all I can think of for now.
Old 22nd October 2014
Here for the gear

Bump!

Also, is there any recorded 'pop' with the Motown chamber reverb trail that we could deconvolve for an IR...?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search