The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage Neve 10 series modules questions / help please 500 Series Preamps
Old 10th December 2013
Here for the gear
DIY

Am starting my first electronics build - Bluzzi's 1084 EZ. While there are skeptics of DIY or clones, its seems that with the right research some very quality and good sounding gear can be built. But it is correct that until I have heard something myself, it is all heresay. If you or anyone are curious about this build, please feel free to ask any questions as I plan on documenting. Cheers!
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevesteve50 View Post
etc.

Some very good points. After all, recording music does eventually need to turn some type of profit to bring it past the hobby stage, and therefore it all relies on the future of the music business. Have you read "Get More Fans" by Jesse Cannon? This may not be the correct forum for this, but is definitely relevant.
I will pick up your recommendation. I'm actually creating a new label group after having a small indie for over half a decade now, this time with a new partner who used to work at Universal. After slugging it out for years, with next to no money mind you, we're starting to gain some traction. But even now I'm not making bank or anything. We're subsidizing ourselves by avoiding a lot of the more common pitfalls I mentioned all-together.

I just think you've got a change in dynamic on this forum, in terms who is really reading it. We get more lurkers than anything, and more people who subscribe to the forum are enthusiasts / hobbyists / aspiring artists, etc. So...as great as the vintage units are, you have to be real with people about modern equivalents too, because ultimately you do need some pro gear to get around the race track either way.

On the other side of the coin, so many classic designs are co-opted by this oddly powerful "brand-name loyalty" that people seem cling to in recent years, which doesn't make any financial sense half of the time. Ultimately as great as it is to have the gear, people want to work with you if you're fun to hang with and you're making money together.
Old 10th December 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
Wade Goeke also worked at BAE back when Brent Avril was still at the helm
wow, cooool. didn't know that, thanks

Quote:
so I always looked at the early BAE stuff as the iron where Chandler was forged, but yes the early 1272's are just racked line amps converted into mic preamps. The newer generation BAE stuff that came out after they changed what the initials stand for are all clones, but very well built clones with a lot of attention to detail.
I noticed the other day BAE actually sells clones of 1272s.
Old 10th December 2013
Gear Guru

I have no problem whatsoever rockin BAE channels next to my vintage 1084's[marinair]
Old 15th December 2013
What Kinds of Music?

So for 21 years and counting I track stuff with vintage 1272s and 1064s, as well as Tele V72s, API 312 (old style), and more recently, Chandler LTd1s and TG Channels, Wunder Peq1, Atlas Juggernaut, and others....they all are different flavors in the palate, and all desirable/necessary for different sounds/feels/styles.....

There is a very distinctive vibe and attitude to the vintage neves, but I would not discount the 1272. If you can find original racked modules and grab 1 or 2 pairs, that gets you at least halfway there - there are plenty of times when the vibe of the 1272 is more appropriate than that of the 1064- and they are very close - and vice versa. It just depends on what sounds you are chasing, and how you get there. Also check out the later 8058/68 class A modules - 31102, etc. - they sound absolutely killer as well!

If you are doing any kind of rock stuff where you want that combination of punch, size, and dirt - all at once! - then Mr. Neve's circuits are your allies in getting that sound - the sound we all know and love on countless classic - and current! - rock records. If the music you are recording is more about pristine and clear representation of the sources, then they will not be as necessary; they will still sound great - just not as clear and clean as some other circuits.

Having said all this, I would also second the recommendation of the Wunder modules - they sound huge, like a Neve circuit sounds huge, but in a cleaner and more modern way. The Juggs are a recent addition to my room that also strike a nice balance between vintage and modern - all great tools. You really can't go wrong with any of this great stuff - it's just which colors you feel like painting with. I would also second the recommendation of starting with a pair or two, and then evaluating what you like about them, and moving on from there.

And even though I'm sure plenty of the Neve clones out there sound great - on a strictly business level, owning the original item is money in the bank. Use them, love them, and then sell them for a markup whenever - in 1 year or 20....kind of a no brainer....

Good luck! Let us know what you find!!! Send pics!!!!

We will all drool.....
Old 17th December 2013
Gear Nut

I purchased a Brent Averill, 1064 original, racked, 15 years ago. They did a truly pristine job. I've not had the pleasure of using a Neve clone but I have used this 1064 on classical voice, rock gtr, jazz gtr and synths. What amazes me is its ability to shine at all applications. One day I will audition a few clones. I'm curious to hear how they stack up. Anyway, thanks for this thread.
Old 17th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wade Goeke also worked at BAE back when Brent Avril was still at the helm
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseQuesada View Post
wow, cooool. didn't know that, thanks
Wade also worked at Grandmaster Recorders here before going to Brents.

He was a shop assistant at Yale Electronics on Sunset Boulevard where we used to buy cable and XLR's, etc. It's now a Scientology Centre after the daughter of the guy that founded Yale sold it off.

He was always excited when we spoke about the Neve 8028 we have here in our studio so we did him a mega favour and got him a job helping out at the studio.

He was always pestering me with questions about Neve gear and eventually went to work at Brents...

That's the early history...

Old 17th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Wade also worked at Grandmaster Recorders here before going to Brents.

He was a shop assistant at Yale Electronics on Sunset Boulevard where we used to buy cable and XLR's, etc. It's now a Scientology Centre after the daughter of the guy that founded Yale sold it off.

He was always excited when we spoke about the Neve 8028 we have here in our studio so we did him a mega favour and got him a job helping out at the studio.

He was always pestering me with questions about Neve gear and eventually went to work at Brents...

That's the early history...

Well, there are few people I respect as much as yourself and Wade, Geoff. You guys couldn't do what you do without really loving it. (I still think your sidecar is the coolest looking thing I've ever seen.)
Old 17th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, there are few people I respect as much as yourself and Wade, Geoff. You guys couldn't do what you do without really loving it. (I still think your sidecar is the coolest looking thing I've ever seen.)
Hi

Thanks... I put a lot of work into that Sidecar... designed everything right down to the knobs and the guide rails!

You would be surprised how many folk have crossed paths with me in the early part of their careers... or used the advice on the site.... all over the world

Old 17th December 2013
Quote:
You would be surprised how many folk have crossed paths with me in the early part of their careers... or used the advice on the site.... all over the world
A true global legend - hope to cross paths with you again real soon Geoff
Old 7th November 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:

I am not talking about compromising anything, I'm talking about looking at what's actually available for sale. If I was only in the market for two channels with full EQ a pair of 8873's would be really tough to beat. You've got the High and Low Baxandall shelving of the 1073 with the mid bands of the 1081 AND you've got 10kHz, 12kHz, and 16kHz on the high band to select from, paired with a class A neve clone (not the the A/B preamp of the original 1081.)
The 1081 Class AB preamp would have some of its own characteristics which some people may prefer over the Class A amps. It's not quite accurate to lead people to believe that Class A is absolutely always going to be preferable to Class AB.

There are certainly users who can use any Neve and have 1081's which they use without feeling they've somehow compromised their sound
Old 27th December 2015
Can someone share info about the 1063 with the round Marinair transformers please?
Are they desirable?
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Neve 10 series modules questions / help please-1063_pair.jpg  
Old 28th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
Can someone share info about the 1063 with the round Marinair transformers please?
Are they desirable?
Hi

It's a very early silicon based channel amp that uses a similar circuit board arrangement to the 1064 and 1066. There are those that claim the sound of those transformers is better than the later rectangular ones...I have no idea but I am guessing it's the same innards in a different package.

They are very nice modules!

Old 28th December 2015
Quote:
Hi

It's a very early silicon based channel amp that uses a similar circuit board arrangement to the 1064 and 1066. There are those that claim the sound of those transformers is better than the later rectangular ones...I have no idea but I am guessing it's the same innards in a different package.

They are very nice modules!

Much appreciated Geoff
Hope you have a fantastic 2016
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
Hi Peeps
Been a while since I've posted here.
I'm looking at buying some vintage Neve 10 series modules.
Probably not 1073, 1081 and 1084 as they are popular and prices are CRAZY !!!!!
Just wondering what all the different models are?
I've been googling and there are bits and pieces but no comprehensive info that I can find.
eg. no mention of 1079's? etc
Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

http://www.audiotoyshop.com/Tech_Arc...history_2.html

edit - models I know of...
1064 Pre/eq
1066 Pre/eq
1070 Pre/eq
1073 Pre/eq
1079 Pre/eq
1081 Pre/eq
1084 Pre/eq
Out of all of the modules Neve ever made after listening to all of the modules on your list for years I find the Neve 1060 to be the best sounded module they ever made by a long shot.I had a pair of 1060's that no one could figure out how to wire up because they ran on -24VDC not +24VDC while the pair had Jensen mic input transformers instead of the standard Neve transformer that just blew everyone away when they heard them even though we had a rack of 8 class A Neve modules "1073's and 1084's" at the studio I worked at.I still wish today I could find a pair but no cigar as of 2018.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search