The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amek BCII Questions
Old 25th November 2013
Gear Head
Amek BCII Questions

Hey Guys,

I recently acquired an Amek BCII in London, that I'm about to transport back to the States. I'm a bit ignorant/foggy about some of the specs, options, etc.. on the board, and I was hoping to get some help.

So far I believe these are the specs:

6 x BC 1118/4 (Stereo Inputs/4 Aux Sends)
3 x BC 1115 (Mono Inputs)
2 x BC 1115/4 (Mono Inputs/4 Aux Sends)

2 x BC 1135/4 (Mono Outputs/4 Aux Sends)

1 x BC 1146 (Aux Master)
1 x BC 1156 (Stereo Monitor)

A couple of questions:

1. There are no Mono Subgroups .. Would I be able to use one of the input channels, either Stereo or Mono, as an Aux Sub? If not, how could I go about that?

2. Have an owners of this board upgraded to Langely Pres, and was it worth it?

3. I think mine has Direct Out's, but I'm not sure. Haven't gotten to test it yet. Any overall advice on this board/my board given the pictures? I believe this board was bought from Funky Junk in London by the previous owner.

Thank Very Much .. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 25th November 2013
Lives for gear

Hi
Make sure you get a copy of the manual before you take it out of the UK as although you can have one shipped it will cost!
There are custom desks so practically anything has or could have been done to it and without opening it up and examining it it is almost impossible to tell.
The insert sends can be used as 'direct outs' if you wire to the D subs. These may be either pre or post fade but not both and it is hard wired inside but readily modifiable.
Direct outs may have been fitted, but examination is needed.
The power supply will want altering to the correct mains voltage, info in the manual.
You may get lucky and find another mix module, preferably stereo to act as another mix if you want a subgroup.
Matt S
Old 26th November 2013
Gear Head
Hey Matt/GS Users,

Thanks for the info. I've finally got it set up. The edac is connected in the back, everything's lighting up seemingly properly, and I've got a mic connected to on the inputs, but no sound (I'm listening through the headphone output). I know this elementary for you, and I've probably bitten off more than I can chew (I'm a musician not an engineer), but I'd really appreciate some guidance. I'm just not familiar with this board, and the manual I have only tells about the different strips with a matter of fact description.

Thanks
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

Hi
The channels and master all go through insert points, at least through the 50 pin D subs on the rear so these MUST be linked, either by little links in the plugs, or if you have a patchfield then wired to that and back again.
Your initial pictures show some of these connectors at the back/bottom of which the first is 'absent'. You need to link the 'hot' and 'cold' signal as although usually the inserts are unbalanced send, they are usually balanced 'return'.
Matt S
Old 27th November 2013
Gear Head
Hey Matt,

Thanks for the replies. I think I've got it sorted out. Just took me some time to understand the board and there's a lot of text worn off on buttons and such. I'm running any/all inputs through an EDAC Loom, of which I have a Mono and Stereo (edac 1 and 2) options, and then I'm running the outputs out the far right L/R, with the ST button pushed in on the channel/s I'm using and ST on direct sources for metering .. if that makes sense. I know this is elementary, I just haven't used a board in awhile and couldn't get this one figured out. I think all that's right, correct me if I'm wrong.

It sounds really good so far. Well worth the investment. I had a Soundcraft 200b years ago and it reminds me of that, but at a whole other level. Very happy in that respect.

I'm only using it as a front end to my DAW and/or possibly a summing box when all said and done, although I've got a dbox for that too.

A couple more questions if you don't mind.

1. You mentioned altering the power source for US currents. Is that an easy task? or should I just get a powerful converter when I get home.
2. What is the advantage of Direct Outs? I don't think my board has that.
3. I think I'd like to have the compressors on my output. Do you know where I could get a pair of those and how easy/difficult it would to install them?

Oh and is it true that the Stereo channels usually had White Fader Knobs and Mono Grey?
Old 27th November 2013
Lives for gear

Hi
An easy answer, the fader knob colours were whatever you asked for originally!
The modules shown don't appear to have the compressor option so chances of finding the right bits is 'slim'. (sub boards, new faceplates and knobs).
Direct outs would be used for recording individual channels direct to DAW but this can be done using the insert send if wished.
Mains is adjustable to any part of the world using screwdrivers and maybe a couple of inches of link wire.
Matt S
Old 29th November 2013
A33
Gear Addict

The compressors are really easy to install I had 6 on mine 4 on the busses and 2 masters
They are full strips so just pop in .. Funky Junk are worth asking if they have any spares...They might do a part exchange for your 2 x BC 1135/4
Old 29th November 2013
Lives for gear

Hi
Yes replacing full modules is easy, if you can find some. I was referring to upgrading the modules you have already.
Matt S
Old 3rd December 2013
Here for the gear

hi seth, i'm currently in the process resurrecting a BCII over here in australia.

have actually been knee-deep making up a new wiring harness for the last 2-days..

Anyway just thought I'd hijack your thread to let you know that I have a bunch of spare input channels (BC1115/4) and a pair of sub groups (BC1125/4) that i'd be interested in parting with for some $$.. or trading for any BC1118/4s...?
Old 5th December 2013
Here for the gear

Hi again seth,

another thing i wanted to ask you is - do you have your monitor output wiring up thru the EDAC?

I'm having difficulty locating which pins my monitor 1 and 2 outputs are connected to (I have the 1155 dual monitor strip in mine) and the documentation I have seems to differ from my desk regarding the monitor O/Ps

To make matters worse I dont have a pin extractor tool so each time I try and get it wrong my EDAC connector come off a little worse for wear..

It would be a massive help if you could let me know what EDAC pins your monitor O/P is connect to....?

My BCII..

timber side cart thing is a work in progress..

and a mega stash of spare channels strips..

Last edited by JimiP; 5th December 2013 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: Images..
Old 9th December 2013
Gear Head
Hey Mate,

Looks nice! I might be interested in those Aux Subgroups, but what I'm really after are the BC1137 Outputs with Compressor/Limiters. Looks like you have those. Do you have extras? For what it's worth I'm loving this board. It's got a great sound.

I've just gotten it back home to Austin, TX and I've successfully switch the power supply for the US, hopefully. Matt was really helpful there.

For the outputs I've attached a picture from the manual which I drew on a bit .. I know it's looks like a child's drawing but you get the idea. Hopefully that helps. I'm not real familiar with the board outside of my own.

Old 9th December 2013
Gear Head
Also, I do have quite a few Stereo Inputs I might be willing to trade for the Aux Channels. How much were you thinking price wise though if I bought them from you?

Best
Old 11th December 2013
Here for the gear

Hi Seth,

thanks for the image - that one seems to be missing from my manual...

Does your manual have a page for the BC1155 dual output module? I think the the pin-out info I need will be in this section - sadly my manual only has info on the BC1156 single monitor..

I would do you a straight trade on a pair of BC1125 sub groups for a pair of your BC1118/4s - Are yours non VCA?

I can also sell you some BC1115/4s for a decent price if you want them.. PM me..

Cheers
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search