The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Mic Purchaces
Old 24th November 2013
Gear Maniac

New Mic Purchaces

Recent New Mic purchases, I always like to hear peoples new stuff as it never gets old to me. I am really asking for the new mics, not the old ones but I would not object if someone just discovered an old favorite. Show me your mics!
Old 24th November 2013
I'm a very slow adopter of new microphones, as I'm so comfortable with the tried and trues that I have a bit of a "Doubting Thomas" mentality towards new microphones - the primary tools in our trade.

So, only over the past couple of years have I adopted new microphones and here's what they are and my thoughts.

Neumann TLM102. Magnificent, highly detailed, incredible on percussion, cymbals and acoustic instruments as well as BVox. Pleasantly bright.

Gefell M930. Astouding realism, balance and clarity. They make your ears pop. The true Neumann sound. Unbelievable on wind instruments, Femvox and overheads.

T-Funk M80. Best damned snare mic, hands down. Great for live vocals too, if you need a second reason.

T-Funk M82. Great kick drum and voice-over microphone. Plenty of built in EQ options. The natural successor to the D12 and D112.

T-Funk CU29. The Copperhead. Has a sound similar to a Neumann UM57 but without the noise and only cardioid. Fantastic on hard rock and metal singing/screaming/growling etc. Also wonderful mono mic for acoustic guitar when you need a bigger sound.
Old 24th November 2013
Gear Maniac

I haven't tried any of those yet, but I have heard good things. Maybe least good things about the Neumann. I am from the same adage, I like the tried and true as well but I think the industry is changing everyday.
Old 25th November 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
T-Funk M80. Best damned snare mic, hands down. Great for live vocals too, if you need a second reason.
The M80's don't get as much love as they should. It is indeed a great snare mic. Also good for live vocals, BUT also very good on studio vocals. People just won't use it because it looks like a live vocal mic.

I really wanna try the m82 also. I wouldn't have thought to use it on VO, but I'll have to try it.
Old 25th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPDiva View Post
The M80's don't get as much love as they should. It is indeed a great snare mic. Also good for live vocals, BUT also very good on studio vocals. People just won't use it because it looks like a live vocal mic.

I really wanna try the m82 also. I wouldn't have thought to use it on VO, but I'll have to try it.
I owe my discovery of both to Fletcher, who has never steered me wrong. Both are sensational microphones that are already EQ'ed the way most of apply EQ to the various old-time standards to get them to sound the way we wished they would out of the box.

One other...

CAD M179 Picked up a matched trio of these for the price of an MD421U5. Fantastic on toms. They sound very similar to 421s but much better off-axis rejection. I hardly use my 421s on toms anymore, unless there are more than 3 toms. Then the 179s mix perfectly with the 421s.
Old 27th November 2013
Gear Maniac

That Cad looks very slutty...
Old 27th November 2013
Gear Maniac

I also picked up the CAD 179's for toms. Grabbed the trio plus one and I'm blown away by them. I want to try them on other sources but they live on the toms.
For the price, you can't go wrong!
Old 11th December 2013
Gear Maniac

I just picked up an Audix cx212b and was really blown away by its capabilities. It is a big contender in the large diaphragm condenser microphone market. For 400 it is a steal and can easily blow away many higher priced models from other inflated mic companies. Vocals and Acoustic guitars is where it really shines but all applications in a studio should not be ignored. Be sure to check it out!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search