The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Neve 1073LB or Heritage Audio 73JR?
Old 22nd November 2013
Gear Addict

Neve 1073LB or Heritage Audio 73JR?

Title says it all. Has anyone compared these side by side?
Old 23rd November 2013
Gear Maniac

I have both. To me both have similar tonal characteristic but the Jr73 has a lot more bottom end its more rounded. I got my 1073LB a year ago and i used them constantly for the last year and i am very pleased with the results. But when it was time to get two more i gave the Jr a shot and i could not be more please. But i don't have any reason to sell the 1073 LB. Both are very good as i said already.....

hope it helps...
Old 23rd November 2013
Gear Nut

I was just told by chance from a high up source that the Heritage is crap. I've never heard one so I cant say from my own experience.
Old 23rd November 2013
Lives for gear

73jr is amazing....
Old 23rd November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanrock View Post
I was just told by chance from a high up source that the Heritage is crap.
but according to Heritage, it is great
Old 23rd November 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikin View Post
I have both. To me both have similar tonal characteristic but the Jr73 has a lot more bottom end its more rounded. I got my 1073LB a year ago and i used them constantly for the last year and i am very pleased with the results. But when it was time to get two more i gave the Jr a shot and i could not be more please. But i don't have any reason to sell the 1073 LB. Both are very good as i said already.....

hope it helps...
Interesting... Can you elaborate a bit more about the low end and mid range on the JR?
Old 24th November 2013
Lives for gear

Heritage is insanely good. I just got myself a 1073/500 and I can't wait to get another one.
Old 24th November 2013
H89
Gear Nut

I have the 1073lb and Heritage 8173 10 series modules (not lb). They both stack up side by side, but I would expect the Ams Neve to hold up better for resale just because of the name. Many people don't even know about Heritage and lump it with any other 1073 clone.

Without the EQ, the 1073 is IMHO, just another really nice preamp. Consider getting the Ams Neve 88rs LB which includes a gritty FB trim and a HPF for the same price. And it matches the circuitry of the full AMS-Neve 88 console at a good price point.
Old 10th December 2013
Gear Addict

So I ended up going with the Heritage 1073JR. I wasn't able to A/Bit with the 1073LB. But the preamp is really nice upon first power on. Very smooth. The only thing I noticed is when going from 42 to 45 db of gain on the input, I get a super loud "pop". The pop also occurs when going back down to 42db of gain. Has anyone else experienced this? Or did I get a defective unit?
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

I could be talking out of my but however I think they go from 2 - 3 gain stages somewhere it could be there ...
Old 19th December 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoZo View Post
I could be talking out of my but however I think they go from 2 - 3 gain stages somewhere it could be there ...
You´re correct sir
Old 20th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Audio View Post
You´re correct sir
Good to know! Understanding precisely where it changes will allow me to further predict the gain staging and tone I desire... ! Thanks!
Old 20th December 2013
Lives for gear

I prefer the Heritage myself.
Old 15th February 2014
Gear Nut

Are you guys still digging your Heritage 73jrs? I'm thinking about picking one up. Thanks
Old 15th February 2014
Lives for gear

Just got another 73JR....
Old 15th February 2014
Lives for gear

Had a pair to demo and didnt sound like neve
Old 15th February 2014
I have a pair of HA JR73s and I dig them. Never had a real Neve, but out of Vintech,
CAPI VP28s and Daking they are my go to pre for everything.
Old 15th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
Had a pair to demo and didnt sound like neve
1073lb Or Heritage?
Old 17th February 2014
Lives for gear

Heritage
Old 18th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
Heritage
Wow,
i have the opposite experience.
For me heritage audio is the closest Neve clone on the market.
And everywhere i read, i see that this is the common feeling.
Old 18th February 2014
Hello,

I wanted to see if any other owner of 73JR can help me out.

I bought my 73JR less than a month ago and I love it, but I think I have an issue.

I haven't been able to try them and compare them to my CAPI VP28 that I love too, but the sound is drastically different, like very high cut. I don't remember them sounding that different 2 weeks ago.

I have some audio examples (a snare and a synth, just messing around) so you guys can see what I am taking about. Maybe someone with a 73JR can run the audio from the VP28 sample and see if it cuts too?

Well let me know!

Thanks,

Eddie
Attached Files

73 JR.mp3 (1.24 MB, 10816 views)

VP 28.mp3 (1.24 MB, 10486 views)

Old 18th February 2014
Lives for gear

yea one is bad... sounds like the 73 messed up...
Attached Files

preamp u87 test 73 jr.mp3 (111.6 KB, 10758 views)

preamp u87 test GRMP-2NV.mp3 (111.6 KB, 10050 views)

preamp u87 test vp28.mp3 (111.6 KB, 10481 views)

Old 18th February 2014
Thanks a lot SOZO, thats what I thought. Definitely something its not right. I wanted to know before the month was up so I can have a return to Sweetwater.

Thank You,

Eddie
Old 18th February 2014
Lives for gear

Yea I just got another one one today... i better try it out.

just checked... all good the same
Old 18th February 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoZo View Post
Yea I just got another one one today... i better try it out.

just checked... all good the same
Congrats! I have one arriving in the mail today.
Old 18th February 2014
Lives for gear

That vp28 sounds pretty damn killer on snare!!
Old 18th February 2014
Update: Sweetwater will send a replacement. Very happy with their fast service.

Haha, I agree. It is definitely a go-to for high percussions or instruments, but it doesn't have the bottom of the 73JR. It is very noticible on bass, bass synth, kick, and mid pads. The DI is a JFET too and is very good for bass actually...Well when my unit was working properly earlier this month. I knew it was wrong but I needed to check, I wasn't sure.

Actually, If you put both samples I uploaded, and match the snares, They compliment each other soooo good. I know the 73JR is broken but wow, it sounds good on the bottom.

Eddie
Old 18th February 2014
Lives for gear
My question is if you can afford the 1073lb, then why settle for a clone. If you want the "real" Neve sound then why not buy a "Neve" product. I own the 1073lb and I love it. I've had to put an inline attenuator on the output to trim it down so that I can push the input into saturation and not distort the input to my D/A and DAW, but I love it when its pushed. Very nice, full, warm sounding. Couldn't be happier.
Old 18th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob View Post
My question is if you can afford the 1073lb, then why settle for a clone. If you want the "real" Neve sound then why not buy a "Neve" product. I own the 1073lb and I love it. I've had to put an inline attenuator on the output to trim it down so that I can push the input into saturation and not distort the input to my D/A and DAW, but I love it when its pushed. Very nice, full, warm sounding. Couldn't be happier.

The Neve is very nice but honestly when i listened to the comparisons the Heritage sounded a little better (less sibilant) then the Neve and Vintech for vocals and less masked then the BAE.
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

I have both and like the jr73 more, and it' s cheaper...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search