The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Neve 1073LB or Heritage Audio 73JR?
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear
Has anybody used the 1073LB with the 1073LB-EQ?
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoZo View Post
The Neve is very nice but honestly when i listened to the comparisons the Heritage sounded a little better (less sibilant) then the Neve and Vintech for vocals and less masked then the BAE.
Well then I guess that would just be a matter of taste. I don't have sibilance issues with my 1073lb. There are many things that could be a factor. The mic, the input setting, the output setting any compression you may be adding. Again it's just a matter of taste. I don't have any experience with the other pres but I pretty much have all bases covered with the Neve pre and the 2264alb, plus an API 512c and 527.
The best of both worlds I suppose.
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

I have the 1073LB and am going to buy a second unit soon. I considered the Heritage unit because it has DI and is a bit cheaper, but the Neve is "real Neve" (clients like that), although the Heritage unit looks more like an old Neve module than the newer Neve stuff (different color). The Heritage logo resembles the Neve logo so much that you could fool clients into thinking they're real Neve modules. But who are you fooling then heh Guess I'll just settle for the 1073LB, very happy with the sound! Plus it has a level LED heh
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob View Post
Well then I guess that would just be a matter of taste. I don't have sibilance issues with my 1073lb. There are many things that could be a factor. The mic, the input setting, the output setting any compression you may be adding. Again it's just a matter of taste. I don't have any experience with the other pres but I pretty much have all bases covered with the Neve pre and the 2264alb, plus an API 512c and 527.
The best of both worlds I suppose.
I would agree.. I have no personal experience with it but it, Im sure I would not hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 20th February 2014
Gear Nut

I have the 1073lb with the 1073lbeq. I have to say the eq changes the sound a lot. Just running the signal through the eq adds a different tone. To my ear it completes the neve sound. I liked the lb but i like the lb+eq better.
Old 19th October 2014
Here for the gear

I recently tested several 500 series pre amps. Amongst them the Heritage 1073/500.
I couldn't get hold of a 1073LB quick enough so I started the test amongst other good pre-amps like the A-designs P1, API 512c, Warm audio WA12 and Golden Age Pre73.
Check out on youtube. Mic Pre amp shootout 500 series on vocals - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tRp...m-upload_owner

After the test i received the AMS Neve 1071LB.
I did the test on goals only but use the chosen pre amps for drums mostly.

The heritage I tested without EQ to get a honest comparison.
After that I ordered the heritage 73jr and the A-designs P1. (already owned the WA12 and the GAP73)

Honestly The 73 Jr is a really great amps and the Neve 1073LB is too.
Mostly I prefer the Heritage because it has an output knob which enables to drive the pre amp more without getting a too hot signal.
Now I have both and are happy with both. Love to have more heritage though!! Well done heritage Audio!

Just listen with good headphones to the youtube shootout en decide for yourself.
Your ears won't lie!
Old 20th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob View Post
My question is if you can afford the 1073lb, then why settle for a clone. If you want the "real" Neve sound then why not buy a "Neve" product. I own the 1073lb and I love it. I've had to put an inline attenuator on the output to trim it down so that I can push the input into saturation and not distort the input to my D/A and DAW, but I love it when its pushed. Very nice, full, warm sounding. Couldn't be happier.
Just because it has a Neve badge doesn't make it any more 'real' than any of the clones. However you look at it, it is not the same as an original 1073. And, to my ears, many of the clones get closer to sounding like an original than that unit does.
Old 19th December 2014
I just received my 73Jr. A lot of people talk about the lower mids of a Neve. On lower gain settings, I feel like this unit irons out the low mid flub that my Apogee Duet had going on, and has more high end content, but in a very balanced sort of way. I haven't used any other high end preamps in my personal setup, so I can't compare it to much, but the 73jr has been a great introduction. If I increase the gain to call upon the 1073 mojo on a source, then I can hear the lower midrange thing going on, but I can't imagine doing that on every source enough for things to get muddy later on. There is also the insane clarity in the upper mids that sounded weird to me initially, but in the mix it's perfect. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. The HA73 looks great, very inspiring, and sounds beautiful.

My only issue at this point is...I am not sure what to get next!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search