The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Knock-down drag-out favorite preamp for snare drum.
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

Loving the VP28 driven hard!
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

Dan alexander neve. My fav
Old 26th November 2013
Avedis MA5
Old 26th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post

Capi Heider FD312's arrive on weds.
vs. VP28 shootout time.
I am so stoked for this. =)
Old 26th November 2013
Here for the gear

I love snare through my TL audio m4. Usually patch in a drawmer dl241 for top and bottom.

57 on top and a sennheiser e609 on bottom.
I love a 414 on the bottom and the 609 is the closest mic I have to looking like it? That's how it works right?
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diylan View Post
I've own a Midas PR series console with Sowter input transformers from the early 80s. Its pres sound perfect on snare. When I'm tracking in another studio though, API is usually my first choice.
Hey,

Is it a PRo3?
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

On top I use a dozend different mics depending on what the snare sounds like, how I feel like, what the drummer wants. It could be a tube SDC, a moving coil classic, whatever. Preamps either HCL affinity 2a if I want some peaks to be leveled or anything JLM audio if it's a job for opamps. But a few weeks ago I made a "mistake" and plugged the snare bottom mic into the Telefunken 672 (rectangular output transformer version ;-) and MY GOSH!!!! did it make the sound. Usually the bottom signal hides 1 or 2 thirds under the snare top mic (to be automated at mixdown according to ghostnotes or stuff) but with this I found myself bringing it up as much as the top and not only didn't it distract or sound papery wires-fizzling, it made it sound like how the overheads heard it, just closer and more weight and snap. Maybe the drummer had a magic touch or I'm on to something. The mic? I used it for years on snare bottom (like AKG 414 or Oktava 319/modded or ...or..) but on THAT day it was different. Was it the drummer? The pre? The astronomical constellation? The snare? I'll will see about that in the next weeks.
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

Ludwig Black Beauty ----> w/Km84 ---->DBX 160 ----> (C)API Pre ---
Old 27th November 2013
Lives for gear

Last time: KM86 fig.-8 -> Great River pre -> DAW
The time before that: Revox3500 -> API512c -> API550b -> DAW
Next time: no idea yet.
Old 27th November 2013
Gear Guru

how much longer before we have listed every preamp there is?
Old 27th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
how much longer before have listed every preamp there is?
Give two or three more days.
Old 27th November 2013
Gear Head

The general impression I am getting is "anything goes". I like that.

Currently for me, it is a beta 57 for top snare > 1 chan of a UA 4-710 with a little bit of compression in the pre. Sennheiser 609 for bottom into whatever is available that sounds good for the moment.

Check back in a few weeks.
Old 27th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
how much longer before we have listed every preamp there is?
Lets speed up the process: create a db of every preamp and just vote. Threads are mostly the same.
Old 28th November 2013
Lives for gear

maybe i'm the only one..... its just a snare drum. whatever is available will be fine. api, great. neve, super. Ma5, fantastic. i care way more about my overs and rooms. i find my snare chain to be mostly something that will pass signal, often what is left over.....
Old 29th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post

Capi Heider FD312's arrive on weds.
vs. VP28 shootout time.
Please keep us informed!
Old 29th November 2013
Lives for gear

Externaly padded api 3124 here. Ive tried my dan alexander 1272s and thought it squished the top end too much and there wasnt enough bacon sizzle up there... maybe i should give it nother try though since several people here like the 1272s on snare.
Old 29th November 2013
Lives for gear
Wouldn't know. I avoid close miking drums these days. A sweet stereo pair in front of the kit through Neve 1272s and a stereo ribbon on the room is my ticket these days, and my drums have never sounded better. Once you got a good room, and a good sounding drum kit that's properly tuned, with a player who understands accents and dynamics, close miking seems totally silly unless you're triggering Drumagog or something.

So for close miking, a behringer ADA8200 for $400 or a PreSonus Digimax and a set of Samson or Audix fusion drum mics ... that's right I said "Behringer" in the High End forum...
Old 29th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykostx View Post
Wouldn't know. I avoid close miking drums these days. A sweet stereo pair in front of the kit through Neve 1272s and a stereo ribbon on the room is my ticket these days, and my drums have never sounded better. Once you got a good room, and a good sounding drum kit that's properly tuned, with a player who understands accents and dynamics, close miking seems totally silly unless you're triggering Drumagog or something.

So for close miking, a behringer ADA8200 for $400 or a PreSonus Digimax and a set of Samson or Audix fusion drum mics ... that's right I said "Behringer" in the High End forum...
Say it loud and proud if it works for you brother.
Old 29th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykostx View Post

Never understood why Behringer is such a "DIRTY" word in any forum. Those Behringer Edisons were one of the best Psychoacoustic type Aural Exciter/Sonic Movement Units I heard in deep, deep, depth ever designed! Seriously perfect for "Sound Design & Making Audio in Subs & Stems go out of the normal Mixing Sphere".

I've heard of people paying serious money $600-900.00 for a great condition model of them and keeping them a well kept secret! Shame I don't have one, I continually look, though to no avail.

-TLB-
Old 29th November 2013
Lives for gear

KM84 to John hardy 990 to a brodcast tube limiter I built.
Old 29th November 2013
Lives for gear

i honestly dont care as long as it is of high quality. an inch to the left will make a lot more difference. if im not happy with the sound i change the snare drum (or its tuning) not the preamp. i might change the mic. but preamp? thats about the last thing id change... (always assuming that whatever you use is of good quality). i get it right at the source. the preamp is rather far away from that.
Old 2nd December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
i honestly dont care as long as it is of high quality. an inch to the left will make a lot more difference. if im not happy with the sound i change the snare drum (or its tuning) not the preamp. i might change the mic. but preamp? thats about the last thing id change... (always assuming that whatever you use is of good quality). i get it right at the source. the preamp is rather far away from that.
Tuning makes a HUGE diff!!
I usually take a lot of time to get the tuning 100% b4 I start my mic placement and choices
Old 2nd December 2013
7+1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
Dan alexander neve. My fav
Oh yeah.. Very nice! I miss my old pair..

A vintage 1073 is a delight..

As is Greg Normans pre.. That's a goodie too!
Old 15th May 2019
bringin' back... bringin' back... bringin' back...

I've been doing some drum recording experiments with different mic's, pre's, placement etc... I was pretty excited with my MA5's on kick and snare (esp kick) nice weight, some transient shaving, but with the m201 on snare, i was getting some annoying hi hat bleed. I tested the purple biz after that and the snare was fat as hell, with the hi hat well in check. Kind of blows my mind how different pre's just bend space and time...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search