The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
When can we expect a 19" rack BURL MIC pre amp ?
Old 23rd November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk sanchez View Post
...I just got a B1D and I am blown-away. I am surprised there isn't more of a buzz on here about them. You're missing out!
They sound amazing. If there has been one piece that lures me toward 500 stuff it's this. Still holding out though.
Old 24th November 2013
Lives for gear

Can the Burl preamps be driven into absolute distortion like I can with a Neve 1073?

Had to ask ... have no idea. Been eying up the B1D for quite a while. No idea where they land in the preamp spectrum.
Old 24th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Yes you can drive the input trannys and backup the output. It almost distorts like an amp head.
I am confident when I use the Burl B1's. They can handle most inputs. Different tonalities based on different settings. For guitars, they are as good as the Pacificas (DI or amp).
I think they are one of the most versatile 500 series pre's around along with Electrodyne 501s and Neve 88LB.

My two cents...
Old 24th November 2013
Gear Addict

Has anyone mixed through a pair of B1's on the 2 Buss?
Old 24th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseLinear View Post
Yes you can drive the input trannys and backup the output. It almost distorts like an amp head.
I am confident when I use the Burl B1's. They can handle most inputs. Different tonalities based on different settings. For guitars, they are as good as the Pacificas (DI or amp).
I think they are one of the most versatile 500 series pre's around along with Electrodyne 501s and Neve 88LB.

My two cents...
That is what I like to hear. Thank you
Old 24th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Yes I sometimes mix through B1's
my chain is DA->Dangerous D-Box->Elysia Xpressor->Burl B1->AD
Low-Z switch affects the tone drastically.
I would recommend a line pad before getting in Burls or any mic pres for mixbus duties.
I sometimes substitue the B1s with Avedis MA5s. They are faster and the bottom end seems more solid comparing to Burls but I like the Burl's high mid sheen.
Old 25th November 2013
Lives for gear

If anybody is interested, here is a very short bounce to mp3 of acoustic guitars recorded with the Burl b1d.

It's just my little Taylor GS mini, the m930ts, Burl b1d, a little compression w/the Brute and then into a Duet USB ~ recorded at home.

I just solo'd my acoustic buss and randomly bounced about 20 seconds of it...there is a full mix of other instruments muted/that you can't hear BTW.
Attached Files

acoustic gtrs danny stapleton.mp3 (1.77 MB, 398 views)

Old 30th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk sanchez View Post
If anybody is interested, here is a very short bounce to mp3 of acoustic guitars recorded with the Burl b1d.

It's just my little Taylor GS mini, the m930ts, Burl b1d, a little compression w/the Brute and then into a Duet USB ~ recorded at home.

I just solo'd my acoustic buss and randomly bounced about 20 seconds of it...there is a full mix of other instruments muted/that you can't hear BTW.
I think it sounds good, not sure how it compare to the DRS though...
I think I will wait until Burl release a full size mic pre...
I will begin with the DRS then maybe later I upgrade to Burl I think..
DRS is o much cheaper per channel and frankly it seem everybody is very impressed with it... Less talk about the Burl Mic Pres..but I guess they are not as old too..not been out on the market as long..
Old 30th November 2013
I have had Manley, Avalon, great river, mike-e

The Burl is my favorite piece besides the mike-e. I think it smokes the great river and Avalon.

the high end is amazing. the only reason I think I like the mike-e better is the comp-sat options

works extremely well with dynamics!!!

I think it's probably the most slept on pre out there. I got mine for like $600open box from sweetwater

**talking about the B1
Old 30th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musaee View Post

The Burl is my favorite piece besides the mike-e. I think it smokes the great river and Avalon.

the high end is amazing. the only reason I think I like the mike-e better is the comp-sat options

I think it's probably the most slept on pre out there. I got mine for like $600open box from sweetwater

**talking about the B1
Do you have the iron or nickel transformer model?
Old 30th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodwindy View Post
Do you have the iron or nickel transformer model?
B1
Old 1st December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musaee View Post

**talking about the B1
Yeah the burl mic pres are not so expensive for just one channel but the problem is most people need mostly two...and most people want to use both b1 and b1D, cause most people will record electric guitar.

I just wonder since you seem to have experience do you by any chance been trying to the Phoneix audio DSR pre amp ? most preferable the DSR.-8 MK2 but I do not think there is not much difference between mk1 and mk2 in sound...
Old 27th March 2014
same question, if someone can talk about "Phoenix drs" vs "burl B1" (or B1D) it'd be great
Old 27th November 2014
Here for the gear

I understand this is a somewhat old thread, but I just got a pair of b1s and they are my favorite mic pres. Phenomenal. VERY thick. I have never been able to get an electric guitar so present sounding. An M160 and a mojave M200 each running through a B1 on a twin reverb is spectacular. I bought them to use for live classical recording, which I haven't yet been able to try, but they are already proving to be an invaluable tool, a true all-arounder. They make sources sound huge, while at the same time remaing incredibly true. I can't wait to get them on drums. When I have $3000 I am going to buy 4 more.

Also, the 500 series is great. By no means is it sub-par to the 19 inch rack format. Check out the vintage king lunchbox.
Old 27th November 2014
Lives for gear

It may not sound inferior or even be inferior but the circuits in the two counterparts can never be the same. This is a fact not theory. Real estate mandates a difference. And that said, allows for a slightly better choice of components in many cases. Desighn wise, 19 inch gives a builder more options for a superior build. Would a B 1 rack version be better? Better is a matter of taste. But you can bet the 19 inch will be a higher price for a reason.
Old 28th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
It may not sound inferior or even be inferior but the circuits in the two counterparts can never be the same. This is a fact not theory. Real estate mandates a difference. And that said, allows for a slightly better choice of components in many cases. Desighn wise, 19 inch gives a builder more options for a superior build. Would a B 1 rack version be better? Better is a matter of taste. But you can bet the 19 inch will be a higher price for a reason.
I am only an amateur compared to some of you guys but this is one of the reasons why I have never invested in the 500 series.

Thanks a heap for your tuition/education.

Nonetheless making inroads learning all this great gear.

19 inch all the way for me too.

Cheers
Old 28th November 2014
Lives for gear

Thinking over this again, maybe there's something to this 19" rack Burl idea ...

What if they made a 2U unit (like the Orca), but with two channels of preamp (selectable transformer), along with a B2 Bomber A/D inside? 2 channels of Burl preamp, followed by 2 channels of Burl AD. Digital outs (SPDIF, Toslink, AES, Ethernet), and analog insert/return, pre-A/D. Price it around $3000.

Would be Burl's answer to the 1073 DPD.

I'd buy it in a second. Would anyone else?
Old 28th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avening View Post
Thinking over this again, maybe there's something to this 19" rack Burl idea ...

What if they made a 2U unit (like the Orca), but with two channels of preamp (selectable transformer), along with a B2 Bomber A/D inside? 2 channels of Burl preamp, followed by 2 channels of Burl AD. Digital outs (SPDIF, Toslink, AES, Ethernet), and analog insert/return, pre-A/D. Price it around $3000.

Would be Burl's answer to the 1073 DPD.

I'd buy it in a second. Would anyone else?
Damn right I would. Anything green is gold.
Old 8th July 2015
The latest on this, is "no plans currently", !!BUMMER!! See email below, James

///////////////1st July 2015///////////////

Hello james. No plans currently.
I hope we do make this someday... it would be BURLY!
Will Kahn

Replying to:
Dear Burl,
Loving the B1/D Mic Pre. Can I ask, do you have any future plans, even if a few years out to do a Stereo B1/D Mic Pre 19" rack mounted? ie, not 500 series.
I ask as am not a 500 series fan, though, am keen on getting your mic pre's.
Thanks, James

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search