The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ariana Grande, Ladygaga and Rihanna "Diamonds" Vocals Condenser Microphones
Old 10th November 2013
Gear Addict

Ariana Grande, Ladygaga and Rihanna "Diamonds" Vocals

Hello,

Does anyone know the signal path/mix match for tracking and mixing for rhianna's "diamonds", Lady Gaga's present record and the present Ariana Grande record? the vocals sound really great. i'm sure ultimately it's the way they sing.

Thanks
Old 10th November 2013
Gear Addict

saw a photo of ariana grande singing into a C-800G
I heard rihanna uses an ELAM 251 or U47. don't remember. i also heard she uses a CL1B but not sure. i'm not sure who tracks her.
Old 10th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by walth View Post
saw a photo of ariana grande singing into a C-800G
I heard rihanna uses an ELAM 251 or U47. don't remember. i also heard she uses a CL1B but not sure. i'm not sure who tracks her.
without knowing for sure, I'd say Rihanna's vocal for "Diamonds" is more characteristic of a 251, than U47. She has a generally thin, crisp vocal tone and a good 251 will accentuate that quite nicely, while smoothing out her natural sibilance. It's possible to achieve a similar sound with a C800G, but the 251 has a way of making it sound more elegant and effortless
Old 10th November 2013
Lives for gear

Most of Ariana's record was recorded at Brandon's way. They really like the Sony c800g over there...usually with an Avalon 2022 and a summit tla100. I might be hazy on the compressor but I am pretty sure about the c800g and the Avalon 2022.

Gaga has neve 1081's. I think she has a 47 as but can't remember off the top of my head. I can't recall the compressor.

Ej
Old 10th November 2013
Yeah prob a C800G. I love mine, I can get pretty close but please be aware that the Sony DOES NOT sound like what you are hearing in the Final mixes right off the batt...... Those SUPER cripsy vocals are almost always Processed HEAVILY in the mix over and over.. to get that sound. Use a good bright mic, and then in the mix process it again, and again.... Usually a Multiband Limiter squeezing each band 5-7 DB 1-2: Ratio and then gaining the air band way up can get that sound and even sometime MORE EQ or COMP after that! ... it's all about the Processing these days, Mixers and EQ ing the living SH(*&T out of stuff.. nothing is natural at all anymore... And I'm sure this trend will continue. Kind of makes me sad, I spent 8K on a mic, just so I can RE EQ it to CRAP to get vocals to "compete" lol
Old 10th November 2013
Lives for gear
Test some frequency selective compression to emphasize some frequencies and or notes..
Old 11th November 2013
Gear Addict

Does anyone know which preamp rihana is using?

Thanks for all ur posts. To the people who replied what r ur go to vocal chains?
Old 11th November 2013
I know for a fact that on her early stuff her engineer used a tlm 103 and a DBX 165 for tracking but dunno abt her more recent stuff...
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ology View Post
Yeah prob a C800G. I love mine, I can get pretty close but please be aware that the Sony DOES NOT sound like what you are hearing in the Final mixes right off the batt...... Those SUPER cripsy vocals are almost always Processed HEAVILY in the mix over and over.. to get that sound. Use a good bright mic, and then in the mix process it again, and again.... Usually a Multiband Limiter squeezing each band 5-7 DB 1-2: Ratio and then gaining the air band way up can get that sound and even sometime MORE EQ or COMP after that! ... it's all about the Processing these days, Mixers and EQ ing the living SH(*&T out of stuff.. nothing is natural at all anymore... And I'm sure this trend will continue. Kind of makes me sad, I spent 8K on a mic, just so I can RE EQ it to CRAP to get vocals to "compete" lol
U r mistaken. First, no one uses multiband on vocals. Second, there is very little eq going on beyond a cut or two. The mic and chain is very specific to the voice of a gaga, Beyonce, Rihanna, etc. There also isn't as much compression as people think. I have mixed records with features by both Rihanna and gaga. The vocal sessions come bounced and premixed but u can still see what was used in the inactive part of the session and the hardware input labelling.

To the op, search the rap forum. There used to be four or five a-list engineers that spent time there who worked with many of the top line hip hop/r&b/pop artists. They talk about mic chains here and there. One of them had a room in our place for a few years.
Old 8th December 2013
Old 8th December 2013
Lives for gear

If you look in a few back issues of SOS or aussie mag Audio Technology you may find some in depth interviews there.

Phil Tan mixes hybrid as far as I know.

Cheers
Old 8th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post

Thanks for the Phil Tan video.
A very nice guy !

R.
Old 9th December 2013
Lives for gear

Rhianna uses a slight auto tune on her vocal and tuning is very minimal.

Phil Tan also used two neve 1079's which went into a Manley Limiter.

Back to protools he used a Waves stereo imager and metric halo channel stip.

Eq ing the vocal he used a eq1b and waves ssl channel.

Fattening up he used a waves reverb and meta flanger and protools delay.

He also starts off with the renaissance box dynamics and adds compression in multiple stages.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 9th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post

He also starts off with the renaissance box dynamics and adds compression in multiple stages.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
A guide to 2D a beatifully recorded vocal
Old 6th February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post

Hope this helps.

Cheers
i also read mr tan is a fan of john hardy preamps and a m149 and AKG tube mic i don't remember if it was a c12vr or the "The Tube" model.

thanks for all your posts.
Old 6th February 2014
Lady Gaga uses a u87ai into Neve 1073 into Cl1b
Old 13th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssprod19 View Post
without knowing for sure, I'd say Rihanna's vocal for "Diamonds" is more characteristic of a 251, than U47. She has a generally thin, crisp vocal tone and a good 251 will accentuate that quite nicely, while smoothing out her natural sibilance. It's possible to achieve a similar sound with a C800G, but the 251 has a way of making it sound more elegant and effortless
The ELAM 251 is a wonderful mic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search