The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio with Great Piano in LA or NYC
Old 10th November 2013
Gear Addict

Studio with Great Piano in LA or NYC

hello

can anyone recommend a studio in LA or NYC with a great piano.
Old 10th November 2013
Here for the gear

LAFX studios in north Hollywood had a great piano, I believe it was the piano used for the Ivory samples.
Old 10th November 2013
Gear Nut

Mission sound recording has a very nice grand - out in Brooklyn.
Old 10th November 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by walth View Post
hello

answered my own question. perfectsoundstudios looks good. the old steinway B at capitol looks nice too lol.
Old 10th November 2013
What kind of Piano?

What kind of sound are you after?

I have a 1919 Mason and Hamlin BB 7 foot....not like a Steinway, but a little bigger sounding.....tons of character.....
Old 10th November 2013
Lives for gear

Really depends on the kind of sound you're going for. There are a couple nice pianos around LA that I know of. Capitol is ok, but not great. The Bridge in Glendale has a great Steinway D. Firehouse in Pasadena has a nice Bosendorfer as I remember (been a long time since I've done anything there).

-Ben
Old 10th November 2013
Here for the gear

The C7 at NRG in North Hollywood is nice.
Old 10th November 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah since you asked about NYC also, Nola on W57th street has Errol Garner's Steinway and it just sounds wonderful.
Old 10th November 2013
Pacifique in Hollywood has an amazing sounding Steinway
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by walth View Post
hello

What kind of sound are you looking for? A lot of the L.A. studio pianos have had their hammers lacquered for that bright Elton John/pop-rock sound that really cuts, but that won't work for classical music or certain styles of jazz. The Yamahas in general tend to sound a bit bright in most of the studios I've worked in, whereas the steinways are a little more guttural. Although at the old Sound City, for instance, they had a really nice Steinway but had not maintained it--it sounded plinky because the hammers had hardened over the years, but I guess they had been reluctant to alter the sound of the piano upon which Dr. John had recorded Iko,Iko.

Point being, I guess, that what is the "best" hinges on what you're looking for.

-R
Old 11th November 2013
mds
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Really depends on the kind of sound you're going for. There are a couple nice pianos around LA that I know of. Capitol is ok, but not great. The Bridge in Glendale has a great Steinway D. Firehouse in Pasadena has a nice Bosendorfer as I remember (been a long time since I've done anything there).

-Ben
I didn't like the sound out of the Bosey at Firehouse, personally.

The piano at The Bridge is nice and they've got a good one at Glenwood too.
Old 12th November 2013
Gear Addict

Brooklyn Recording has a 9ft Steinway Grand from circa 1890 if I recall correctly. On the dark and rich side. Beautiful.

And Peter Karl in Gowanus has two more Steinway grands.
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

It depends on your taste and opinion of good, but I have had good luck renting nearby auditoriums with great pianos. There was a Steinway D two miles from my old home, and I could rent the entire 700 seat auditorium for half a day during the week for a great rate and professional tuning and an audio staff member was included in the deal. The piano was well maintained and stored in a humidity and temperature controlled closet, and not even heavily used according to the people who worked there.

Any "<City name> Center for the Arts" may be worth checking out.

Tim
Old 12th November 2013
Gear Addict

thanks for all the posts. i was looking for a grand piano but uprights are cool too. thanks again.
Old 12th November 2013
Gear Nut

Lakehouse Recording Studios in Asbury Park, NJ has a Yamaha C7 in a WSDG designed room, also the Neve 8024 is a plus

www.lakehouserecordingstudios.com
Old 9th December 2013
J-Note Studio. Steinway M. Great sound, feel. Located in Harlem NYC.
Old 9th December 2013
By the way, the M is just under 6 ft. a few inches shorter than an A. But this particular one sounds awesome and hate the word awesome. Frankly, this is the only time in might life I have used that word because this piano is the only thing I have ever owned that amounted to awesome.

By the way, I played on the D in Steinway Hall on 57th Street while I was testing out pianos for purchase {Just bought the M on Saturday - delivery on 12/18} and it was a near religious experience. Yet, I would find the sound of a D a bit much for Jazz and Pop. The bass is overwhelming on the D. I found the A's and M's to be my favorites and I played a bunch of them. The D is designed to fill a concert hall.

The bottom line is there is something remarkable about a Steinway piano. This particular piano just spoke to me as soon as I played it. There was an interesting "A" but a bit bright for me. Also had the opportunity to go for a Hamburg "A" for similar money as the "M" but don't really care for the Hamburg sound. Again, to "bright". I believe I have the perfect balance of mellow and that unmistakeable, beautiful, incomparable, blows-away-any-Yamaha Steinway sound and feel.

Every piano has a soul, the Steinway coming to J-Note has a wonderful soul. I know because I felt it right away.

Interestingly, I did try a Bosendorfer in their showroom, was nice but not for me. I have a particular taste in pianos it seems and a well maintained Steinway that's not too old is just a wonderful thing. I would also add that the whole "golden age" of piano thing is absolute BS to me. So many of them were bought by wealthy people as "window dressing of the cultured elite" and were never maintained or even tuned and simply turned to **** and were rebuilt by other companies and wound up being less than a real Steinway then dumped by the estate that I can't help feeling the "golden age" thing was the marketing ploy of a clever estate auctioneer.
Old 9th December 2013
i have a 1897 (yes, 1897 not 1987) Steinway B Grand. Restored in 2009 so action is perfect.

sounds ridiculous.

i'm in NJ, an hour from NYC. studio is MUCH cheaper than anything in NYC and features lynx aurora converters, neve, api, chandler, and shadow hills pres, neve summing mixer. LMK if interested.

093010-11 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 9th December 2013
Hey Mission Control, love the look of your Steinway. I'm very excited because I take delivery of mine, as I mentioned, on December 18th. So I'm curious, how do you prefer to mic your piano and for what purpose, what different sounds, what different genres?
Old 9th December 2013
Lives for gear

Studio C at Sear Sound in New York has a nice Steinway from the 70s. Sounds awesome in that room.
Old 9th December 2013
Gear Addict

Stagg Street in Van Nuys
Yamaha C7
Vintage API console
GREAT rates
Old 10th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Hey Mission Control, love the look of your Steinway. I'm very excited because I take delivery of mine, as I mentioned, on December 18th. So I'm curious, how do you prefer to mic your piano and for what purpose, what different sounds, what different genres?
hey man, thanks.

very cool. typically - this is how i mic it, with the room mic set up changing depending on what mics i have access to

Untitled by missioncontrolrec, on Flickr

i use the 414s and gefells, the 414s catch a lot of warmth and "bigness" for me, and the gefells get more attack and hammer sound, which i love. depending on the song, i can mix the two to my liking. i always am very careful when placing them to measure distance from the soundboard to avoid phase issues. polar patterns set to cardiod by the way, not hyper or super, which always sound a bit weird and the image seems skewed somehow.

rooms vary, from putting a ribbon mic beneath the piano - to the u47 out in the room. last session we had a cathedral pipes c12 tribute up high about 10 feet in a corner, and the maudio sputnik like 15 feet away about 5 feet high. don't ask me why, it just sounded good, there wasn't much science behind that one. usually room mics go OMNI.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search