The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
plexi clones: splawn?
Old 3rd October 2006
Gear Maniac

plexi clones: splawn?

Love my boogie mark IV but am missing that marshall rhythm guitar sound.

Looking to add a marshall clone. Ideally something that will bring the plexi vibe.

Anyone have opinions on the Splawn heads, particularly the Competition 50?

Additionally, any opinions on Dave Bray's 1987XL reissue mods?

Thanks guys.

Oh yeah, a pre-emptive tutt to the first one that mentions the pod heh
Old 3rd October 2006
Gear Head

Splawns are cool but you should check out www.sewellamps.com

Doug is a really nice guy and he builds impressively responsive amplifiers to the point where a great many people describe them as "vocal" like.

I have his Texaplex which is essentially his take on the Marshall plexi but with some nice subtle bells and whistles. Beautiful sounding stuff.
Old 3rd October 2006
Gear Maniac

I guess the one thing that worries me about Splawns is that they might just be a high gain metal amp which is not what I'm after.

Would love it if anyone who has used Splawn and or Bray could comment on that.

I'm more interested in something that will approximate the plexi sound but also get me into the jcm800 ballpark without buying 2 amps.
Old 3rd October 2006
Old 3rd October 2006
Lives for gear

Splawn does not approach plexi tones, but they are my favorite high gain amp by far at the moment. They're just not at all plexi.
Old 4th October 2006
Lives for gear

Check out....

http://www.ax84.com

The November series amp does a nice job on the classic Plexi..

I want one big time..!!
Old 4th October 2006
Gear Addict

For a killer vintage plexi vibe, check out the Heritage Colonial:

http://www.heritageamplification.com/colonial.html

It's my favorite amp "in the stable" right now. All kinds of versatility in there.

In fact, there's a head for sale over at thegearpage.net (gearslutz for guitar):

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...light=colonial

Last edited by chrisgraff; 4th October 2006 at 03:14 AM.. Reason: wrong link
Old 4th October 2006
Gear Nut

I build a couple 100 watt replicas:

http://www.metroamp.com/

But I also suggest checking out Germino and Blockhead for accurate plexi clones.
All great amps, it's just a matter of which particular plexi vibe you're after.

My next project is a '66 era block end chassis 100 watt.

george
Old 4th October 2006
Lives for gear

The Cornell PLEXI 18/20 1X12 COMBO 18/20 watt, switches to 5 watt. Class A ,High & Low inputs; Twin Channel. Controls: Valve Line-up: 2 x 12AX7; 2 x EL84; 1 x GZ34 . Unique, classic Plexi Rock tone.
Old 4th October 2006
Lek
Lives for gear

Blockhead amps
Old 4th October 2006
Lives for gear

I don't think you can go wrong with a blockhead or Germino.

I wouldn't count out a ceriatone. Nick is a cool bloke and has a surprisingly fast turnaround time from malaysia. http://www.ceriatone.com/index.htm Pretty cheap too... once you have the amp you can grab a combo or head cabinet to put it in from ted weber.
Old 4th October 2006
Gear Guru

Germinostike
Old 4th October 2006
Gear Maniac

OK I' may have found a used germino.

Those ceriatone's look fascinating. Has anyone actually played through one? I'd love to try one but at that price I'd worry about what the catch is?
Old 4th October 2006
Lives for gear

No mention of the Top Hat Emplexador? I love mine! Has both a "vintage" mode based on a '68 Plexi, a "bright-boost" for a '72 Super Lead edge, and a "modern" mode if you want more gain. Top Hat Emplexador
Old 4th October 2006
Gear Maniac

Anyone have comments on how well the Germino will do heavier rock stuff?

So far I've only heard clips of Greg playing low gain blues stuff.
Old 4th October 2006
Lives for gear

It can get super evil sounding...jump the two channels and Crank... and then you can always put a pedal or three in front of it... You should definately try before you buy though...
Old 4th October 2006
Lives for gear

The THD Flexi 50 will do plexi tones very well, plus modded plexi tones, plus over the top stuff. Single channel with switchable gain stages.
Old 4th October 2006
Lives for gear

Germino.

The first time it was mentioned, the thread should have been closed.

However, I'd take my Dr Z over a Plexi clone anyday!!!

heh

I'm actually gassing for another...

BTW, if you want more input, go to http://thegearpage.net

Prepare to be overwhelmed by information....
Old 4th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzleboy View Post
The THD Flexi 50 will do plexi tones very well, plus modded plexi tones, plus over the top stuff. Single channel with switchable gain stages.

Ah yes! Very nice!
Old 5th October 2006
Gear Addict

Even if you buy a used Germino you still get the warranty and Greg Germino's
gracious support.For that I have found it to be well worth it, besides having a great tone no matter which amp you have. Greg's amps are not high gain by modern standards but some have more gain than others. No switches for this sound or that. No master volume either. They are designed to capture the early to late Plexi tone depending on which model you chose. He also brought a 67 JTM Plexi back to life for me at minimal cost so I may be some what biased!!!!!!!!!!
Old 5th October 2006
Lives for gear

The Splawn amp I played not too long ago had a comical amount of gain...sounded terrible...very thin and over-compressed. If you want something in the jcm800 gain range, check out the Fargen Olde 800. Phenomenal sounding amp...

-Chris
Old 5th October 2006
Gear Maniac

Just bought a used Germino Lead 55. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I still am intrigued by ceriatone though and think I will end up ordering sonmething from Nik at some point so I can see for myself...
Old 13th October 2006
Gear Maniac

If that's the sound you're after and you have a room to crank it in stike get the real thing. Everything else falls short in one way or another. Roccaforte amps are pretty good. I have an '73 super tremolo and a Roccaforte. The R is a different beast that can clone a "plexi" tone. But if plexi is what you want plexi is what you should get.
Old 13th October 2006
Lives for gear

NICE... what cabinet?
Old 13th October 2006
Lives for gear

I know this is gonna sound like a mad idea for getting a Marshall sound ... but how about checking out a second hand Marshall..?? Or one of the newer point-to-point reissues.

Having said that - the Mojave plex clones I have heard all sounded great. Whether they sound like a 'Marshall' I am not so sure... OR maybe it's just that I have never heard a vintage Marshall in SUCH good (new!) condition.
Old 13th October 2006
Gear Maniac

Kris, the cab is an old style block-logo (same as the head) Germino 2x12 open back with greenbacks. I'll eventually break down and add a closed back 4x12, probably bogner, orange or older marshall just to get some tonal variation.

Head sounds damn good by the way! thumbsup

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
Old 16th October 2006
Lives for gear

If it's the same as mine, you can get a panel to attach to the cab and get a closed back sound...
Old 16th October 2006
Lives for gear

Ditto on the Sewel Amps. I have two - a Catawampus (kind of a Tweed Pro copy) and a Texiplex 25. The Texiplex is a sweet sounding amp and other then Dave Allen, Doug Sewell is probably the most helpful and useful amp maker I've dealt with. Try one if you can.
Old 16th October 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
If it's the same as mine, you can get a panel to attach to the cab and get a closed back sound...
Will probably do that also!

BTW, need to find the right pedal to get a bit more gain out of the head. Any favorites that work best with your germino?

Seth
Old 17th October 2006
By Jove and Jupiter I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by preben View Post
I know this is gonna sound like a mad idea for getting a Marshall sound ... but how about checking out a second hand Marshall..?? Or one of the newer point-to-point reissues.

Having said that - the Mojave plex clones I have heard all sounded great. Whether they sound like a 'Marshall' I am not so sure... OR maybe it's just that I have never heard a vintage Marshall in SUCH good (new!) condition.
You may be on to something here, you mean in order to get a vintage marshall
plexi sound you go out and buy a vintage marshall plexi. Christ now there is an Idea.
I managed to buy one brand new seems like just the other day now.
Sorry Chaps off to write me memoirs. Ehhem! As I said to Monty, Tanks I said!......
Brrrr blup blll Blew his bloody head off..... zzzzzzzzz.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search