The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
In TDM Land Which Is More SSL Sounding? SSL Waves, or SSL URS? Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 2nd October 2006
Gear Maniac

In TDM Land Which Is More SSL Sounding? SSL Waves, or SSL URS?

In TDM Land Which Is More SSL Sounding? SSL Waves, or SSL URS?

A 777 Subject.
Old 12th March 2008
Lives for gear

hmmmm i havent used the urs bundle in a while but i have the ssl waves and ive tryed an ssl board...it sound near idientical to the ssl eq's though i like the v series more..but its good
Old 12th March 2008
Gear Addict

I demoed URS and Waves half a year ago and the clear winner was the Waves Bundle. Much more agressive - the E-Channel is awesome! - and Buss compressor reacts much more like I expected and know it from the hardware unit!
Old 12th March 2008
Lives for gear

between the two i like the waves a little better. i also use the mcdsp channel g alot with the ssl console setting. maybe you should look into that also. i believe they all offer demos for 14 days. give em a try!
Old 14th March 2008
Gear Addict

I never wanted to say this, but I like the Waves a lot better than the URS.
Old 14th March 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by patheticus View Post
I never wanted to say this, but I like the Waves a lot better than the URS.

Clearly. The URS stuff is useable but none of the plugins are anywhere near to what they purport to be. they LOOK the part but sonically - no. As I say, quite useable but, like a pretty lady, seems to be more about the face than anything deeper.....
Old 14th March 2008
Lives for gear

IMO, the Waves plugs kick the ass of the URS plugs. I know URS has alot of fans on here and I wanted to like them more for business practices....but they just do not have that sound to me like the Waves.
Again...IMO
Old 17th August 2008
Gear Head

Stop even thinking about it, waves wins . I still buy URS but always end up using MCDSP, UA , MASSEY or WAVES.
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

I still use Impact all the time
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Waves sounds more musical to my ears
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

+1 Waves Bundlethumbsup
Old 19th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaellus View Post
hmmmm i havent used the urs bundle in a while but i have the ssl waves and ive tryed an ssl board...it sound near idientical to the ssl eq's though i like the v series more..but its good
Strange. I A/Bd the waves against my 6048E/G SSL with orange and brown EQs. I found the Waves EQ going way deeper at the bass level, so yes, better than the original SSL EQ and you could crank it up louder as well. At the mids and highs I found the waves less natural. I had the impression they didn't sound as refined as the real SSL EQ. Note: I believe waves SSL are modeled after the black EQ of the E/G. These are of course a lot different than either the brown or orange EQs I compared them against. But anyway, the EQ is an important tool to mix but it's not the only thing.

Today, I feel the SSL Duende are the best sounding tools available for your DAW. Especially the additional X-EQ and X-comp are fabulous I feel.

Regards
Old 19th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
I still use Impact all the time
Yup. Great plug-in. thumbsup
Old 19th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Waves. They totally nailed the channel compressors and the gates.

I do find it a lot harder to catch the 'sweet spot' on the bus compressor than with the real rack unit though...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search