The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Spiral Grooves Monitor
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Maniac
Spiral Grooves Monitor

Hey wanted to hear from
people who have heard these monitors
How do they compare to other speakers out there?
Did you shoot them out against any other monitors?
curious
thanks
Dave
Old 29th October 2013
Old 30th October 2013
Gear Maniac
Anybody try these?
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have mixed many records on these speakers and they are a fabulous
tool. I demoed a pair from Brian Lucey and sold my Barefoot MM27s
the next week. I would not recommend as a tracking monitor as they
only go so loud or deep but as a mixing tool the Spiral Grooves are
remarkable. I have turned about six of my engineer friends on to these
and the mixes that come to me for mastering are very easy to deal with.
I give these speakers my highest recommendation as I have owned or used
just about everything under the sun....
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomatic View Post
I have mixed many records on these speakers and they are a fabulous
tool. I demoed a pair from Brian Lucey and sold my Barefoot MM27s
the next week. I would not recommend as a tracking monitor as they
only go so loud or deep but as a mixing tool the Spiral Grooves are
remarkable. I have turned about six of my engineer friends on to these
and the mixes that come to me for mastering are very easy to deal with.
I give these speakers my highest recommendation as I have owned or used
just about everything under the sun....
Identical situation for me. These things are totally on another level compared to anything near their price range.

Like nomatic said, they aren't meant for tracking though (unless you never monitor above 95dB...
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have the SGS1's, the Pelonis model 42 with sub, and the Equator D5's. Maybe the greatest thing about the SG's is their almost magical and accurate control over the low end in my bass-challenged small room. With the SG's, I have now accurate monitoring top to bottom. In my lightly treated room, Pelonis 42's represent a satellite system or pair of pro in-ear monitors and are good for tracking, and the Equators function as my Auratone, or a good car stereo. But the anchor and reference point of my system is the SG's. I love them for near-field monitoring. No tricks, no digital correction for an inadequately-designed speaker. Just a super well-designed monitor from a guy who has spent his life designing speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Spiral Grooves Monitor-imageuploadedbygearslutz1383148647.328160.jpg  
Old 31st October 2013
Gear Maniac
Love to hear these to bad they don t have distribution in Canada
It will be too expensive to ship these to try
How is the head room compared to the k&h 0300 which I found did not have
Enough headroom and volume
Don t have the space for tracking monitors along side mixing speakers
But I am curious
How do they compare in shootouts to the atc, barefoot ect..
Old 31st October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
Love to hear these to bad they don t have distribution in Canada
It will be too expensive to ship these to try
How is the head room compared to the k&h 0300 which I found did not have
Enough headroom and volume
Don t have the space for tracking monitors along side mixing speakers
But I am curious
How do they compare in shootouts to the atc, barefoot ect..
Lookup SpencerC on the forums here. He's (sort of like) an SG monitor Canadian rep and has a studio out here in Calgary. He's more or less holding a few pairs for interested Canucks (as he had quite a bit of trouble bringing them up).

He also has a few new pairs boxed away. We tested them against his Barefoot MM27 GEN2. At low volumes they can be hard to tell apart. Both speakers are bright with lots of space and detail.

If you don't need tracking volumes (over 95dB), and enjoy bright speakers, the SGS1 should do you fine and are less than half the cost of the MM27s (amp included).

I hope this helps!

-Phil
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear
Would the spiral grooves serve as a compliment to the MM27 Gen2's or should I just pony up for the MM27s once I save up the cash?

The small size of the SGs doesn't have me convinced about reproducing the sub bass in my music.
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
Both speakers are bright with lots of space and detail.

If you don't need tracking volumes (over 95dB), and enjoy bright speakers, the SGS1 should do you fine and are less than half the cost of the MM27s (amp included).

I hope this helps!

-Phil
I don't find mine bright at all. But I do find that positioning the tweeter above ear height is crucial to getting a balanced tone.

They are certainly desert island speakers in my (well thumbed) book...
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKD View Post
Would the spiral grooves serve as a compliment to the MM27 Gen2's or should I just pony up for the MM27s once I save up the cash?

The small size of the SGs doesn't have me convinced about reproducing the sub bass in my music.
I have both...

The MM27 gen2's certainly DO NOT replace the Spiral Grooves. And vis versa.

My MM27's are amazing for tracking, and checking the mix at loud volumes. I also like starting my drum mix on them since I can crank it and get a feel for how hard to make the drums hit.

The Spiral grooves are like a totally hyper focused microscope into the mix, and have depth/detail/spacial imaging like you've never heard before. They're so uncoloured/low distortion that there is ZERO guess work when mixing.

I also keep a pair of NS10's around which I find invaluable for finishing mixes on. Something about the dry, super tight and kinda ugly harsh truth on bad speakers makes you work that much harder to make sure everything you want to come through on poorer systems. I'm using a great amp though, which actually makes them sound not bad. With a low end amp, I can't stand the ns10's...

Anyway, this all to say that every speaker has it's purpose. It really depends what you're doing and what your needs are.

Are you a tracking engineer that needs to record full bands and blast clients heads to impress them after they come back from the live room? The MM27 Gen2's are INCREDIBLE for this. ATC 25's are nice too, but the Barefoots just clinched it for me (I also owned Gen 1's for years...so obviously I like that style of speaker).

Are you a mixing only engineer? Get the Spiral Grooves with a pair of Mixcubes or NS10's. The original reason I sold my Gen1 MM27's is because I tried a mix with the Spiral Groove Studio Ones. Yup, they blew my mind...

Do you track/and mix, and are a total Gearslut? Get both!!!

Seriously though...

And to the "sub bass" question...I actually feel like I can head more detailed lows on the SG's. Sure, you don't "feel" them like you do on the MM27's, but can you hear down there and make accurate decisions? Yup...it's freaky to think about, I know.

As Phil mentioned...I was one of the first (I think literally the second) guy to get a pair of these in Canada. It was a bit of a pain with customs etc, and shipping was crazy expensive. All in all it just shouldn't have been that hard. But, the product was SO good, I looked past it. That being said, I believe in these so much that I talked to Brian about helping him distrubute these in Canada, so that other Canucks wouldn't have as hard of a time as I did. The Spiral Grooves really are a special product that I think you'll start seeing in a ton of studios.

So am I biased? Barely...I make hardly any money off helping Brian distribute these in Canada. By the time I pay for shipping/duty/exhange fees etc, I'm only making a couple to a few hundred bucks. I also have to break them in for 150-200 hours, so it's definitely not a good way to make money, especially when my studio bills out at $650-1300/day. The money I make off the SG's is peanuts for me, but I'm doing it because these speakers were a game changer for me, and I want my friends to have them too. I make absolutely nothing from any American/International sales, or from the company at all. Any posts I wrote in the past about the Spiral Grooves where I was freaking out about them was prior to my decision to help distrubte these in Canada. (Like when I sold my MM27 Gen1's because of them)...

Like I said, I also own Barefoot MM27 gen2's with a pair of JL Fathom F112 subs (to really blast the low end when I need to ), the Spiral Grooves and NS10's. If the Gen2 Barefoots didn't have the mode switch, I would still own a mix cube as well...my point being, one set of speakers will never be able to truly do it all. The Barefoots come close, but the Spiral Grooves just do something the Barefoots can't (even the MM12's - I heard them and even though they are breathtaking and have a low end like you've never heard, the SG's are still more open in the upper mids/up top).

If you think I'm crazy for comparing these, you'll just have to hear it for yourself...

And yes, if you're a fellow Canadian, drop me a line and we can try to get a pair of the Spiral Grooves in your hands.

Thanks,

Spencer
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

Double post...ah iPhone
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerc View Post
I have both...

The MM27 gen2's certainly DO NOT replace the Spiral Grooves. And vis versa.

My MM27's are amazing for tracking, and checking the mix at loud volumes. I also like starting my drum mix on them since I can crank it and get a feel for how hard to make the drums hit.

The Spiral grooves are like a totally hyper focused microscope into the mix, and have depth/detail/spacial imaging like you've never heard before. They're so uncoloured/low distortion that there is ZERO guess work when mixing.

I also keep a pair of NS10's around which I find invaluable for finishing mixes on. Something about the dry, super tight and kinda ugly harsh truth on bad speakers makes you work that much harder to make sure everything you want to come through on poorer systems. I'm using a great amp though, which actually makes them sound not bad. With a low end amp, I can't stand the ns10's...

Anyway, this all to say that every speaker has it's purpose. It really depends what you're doing and what your needs are.

Are you a tracking engineer that needs to record full bands and blast clients heads to impress them after they come back from the live room? The MM27 Gen2's are INCREDIBLE for this. ATC 25's are nice too, but the Barefoots just clinched it for me (I also owned Gen 1's for years...so obviously I like that style of speaker).

Are you a mixing only engineer? Get the Spiral Grooves with a pair of Mixcubes or NS10's. The original reason I sold my Gen1 MM27's is because I tried a mix with the Spiral Groove Studio Ones. Yup, they blew my mind...

Do you track/and mix, and are a total Gearslut? Get both!!!

Seriously though...

And to the "sub bass" question...I actually feel like I can head more detailed lows on the SG's. Sure, you don't "feel" them like you do on the MM27's, but can you hear down there and make accurate decisions? Yup...it's freaky to think about, I know.

As Phil mentioned...I was one of the first (I think literally the second) guy to get a pair of these in Canada. It was a bit of a pain with customs etc, and shipping was crazy expensive. All in all it just shouldn't have been that hard. But, the product was SO good, I looked past it. That being said, I believe in these so much that I talked to Brian about helping him distrubute these in Canada, so that other Canucks wouldn't have as hard of a time as I did. The Spiral Grooves really are a special product that I think you'll start seeing in a ton of studios.

So am I biased? Barely...I make hardly any money off helping Brian distribute these in Canada. By the time I pay for shipping/duty/exhange fees etc, I'm only making a couple to a few hundred bucks. I also have to break them in for 150-200 hours, so it's definitely not a good way to make money, especially when my studio bills out at $650-1300/day. The money I make off the SG's is peanuts for me, but I'm doing it because these speakers were a game changer for me, and I want my friends to have them too. I make absolutely nothing from any American/International sales, or from the company at all. Any posts I wrote in the past about the Spiral Grooves where I was freaking out about them was prior to my decision to help distrubte these in Canada. (Like when I sold my MM27 Gen1's because of them)...

Like I said, I also own Barefoot MM27 gen2's with a pair of JL Fathom F112 subs (to really blast the low end when I need to ), the Spiral Grooves and NS10's. If the Gen2 Barefoots didn't have the mode switch, I would still own a mix cube as well...my point being, one set of speakers will never be able to truly do it all. The Barefoots come close, but the Spiral Grooves just do something the Barefoots can't (even the MM12's - I heard them and even though they are breathtaking and have a low end like you've never heard, the SG's are still more open in the upper mids/up top).

If you think I'm crazy for comparing these, you'll just have to hear it for yourself...

And yes, if you're a fellow Canadian, drop me a line and we can try to get a pair of the Spiral Grooves in your hands.

Thanks,

Spencer
Ok this is very helpful. Thank you!

Of course the final conclusion maintains proper gearslutz form: GET BOTH!!!!

Hopefully I can and will when I get on track with a new job.

I am pretty much a one man show over here...tracking,producing,mixing, home brew mastering. I'm not a pro, but I take my music very very seriously.

I'm not in Canada, but I live in Ohio and am 2 hours away from Lucey if he's still in Columbus.
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

I totally don't need more monitoring, as my Adam A7s still sound amazing(to me), but I'm going to have some extra money to blow, and after getting a new interface I'm thinking about getting some higher quality monitors for mixing tracking, and general listening.
I so want to get a huge set, like the Opals, and a "clinical" set, like the Sprial Grooves.

I like listening to music on the Adams. After I actually properly treated my room with real acoustic panels, I was able to hear a lot more detail than before, so I know I will benefit from a monitor upgrade.

I don't really need to impress any clients with LOUD, but I have the luxury of listening loudly if I want to. I almost never do; I usually mix at low volumes.

That being said, the amount of detail I gained from proper treatment has made me very very itchy to upgrade my monitors.
I'm thinking of Opals, S3XVs, and maybe the Spiral Grooves. Totally different ends of the volume spectrum there, I know. I think I'll keep the Adams, as they are kind of in the middle of nearfield/midfield, (more near than mid, really) so it might make more sense to go bigger, but more detail is so enticing.
I feel very luck to have so many choices for excellent monitoring in my home studio!

great thread. (despite my post)
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkopald View Post
I totally don't need more monitoring, as my Adam A7s still sound amazing(to me), but I'm going to have some extra money to blow, and after getting a new interface I'm thinking about getting some higher quality monitors for mixing tracking, and general listening.
I so want to get a huge set, like the Opals, and a "clinical" set, like the Sprial Grooves.

I like listening to music on the Adams. After I actually properly treated my room with real acoustic panels, I was able to hear a lot more detail than before, so I know I will benefit from a monitor upgrade.

I don't really need to impress any clients with LOUD, but I have the luxury of listening loudly if I want to. I almost never do; I usually mix at low volumes.

That being said, the amount of detail I gained from proper treatment has made me very very itchy to upgrade my monitors.
I'm thinking of Opals, S3XVs, and maybe the Spiral Grooves. Totally different ends of the volume spectrum there, I know. I think I'll keep the Adams, as they are kind of in the middle of nearfield/midfield, (more near than mid, really) so it might make more sense to go bigger, but more detail is so enticing.
I feel very luck to have so many choices for excellent monitoring in my home studio!

great thread. (despite my post)
I got my Opals a few weeks back and trust me when I say this, they are everything users say they are. 3D sounding, easy to mix on, and loud as heck. I love them!
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

I'm interested in replacing my NS-10's. I have a treated control room. I'm just kinda tired of NS-10's. I liked the Pro Ac's (100's?) when I was over at The Maid's Room a year or so ago. I'm very interested in the Pelonis 42's. I love co-axial speakers; I have Equator E8's as my mains. The E8's are very hard to please, plenty loud if need be, don't require a sub, and fit in my small space. But I really want to get off the NS-10's. I wonder if anybody in NYC has a pair of Spiral Groove's that I can listen to? I usually buy my speakers from Dale Electronics. I think they have a set of 42's, but I'm not sure. I'll watch this thread. Thanks.
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekis View Post
I'm interested in replacing my NS-10's. I have a treated control room. I'm just kinda tired of NS-10's. I liked the Pro Ac's (100's?) when I was over at The Maid's Room a year or so ago. I'm very interested in the Pelonis 42's. I love co-axial speakers; I have Equator E8's as my mains. The E8's are very hard to please, plenty loud if need be, don't require a sub, and fit in my small space. But I really want to get off the NS-10's. I wonder if anybody in NYC has a pair of Spiral Groove's that I can listen to? I usually buy my speakers from Dale Electronics. I think they have a set of 42's, but I'm not sure. I'll watch this thread. Thanks.
I don't know if the Spiral Grooves are going to "replace" ns10's necessarily, (who knows, maybe they will for you)...I use my NS10's along side them.

But I can tell you, that the Pelonis 42's sound like cheap toys compared to the Spiral Grooves.

The Spiral Grooves are more along the lines of the ProAc's, but WAY less distorted and have way more depth/detail/clear open sound. The imaging and sweet spot are also wider in my experience.
Old 6th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by madehumble View Post
I got my Opals a few weeks back and trust me when I say this, they are everything users say they are. 3D sounding, easy to mix on, and loud as heck. I love them!

You know I have had for many years....2 pairs of 4411 JBLs which are now completely rare...for playback only not so much tracking. For acoustic music which is my favourite thing to record.
Big passive monsters that not only do not reach anything much above 16K but have a beautiful warm sound that I have never found anywhere else.

I also had used Tannoy 8inch dual concentric powered monitors for mixing, and tracking for years and always found them too bright but the balance of playback between them and the big guys was providing a workable mix. Then one day I was interested in looking at the top of the line JBL powered units to replace the Tannoys, being the JBL fan I was and this guy was selling me on the Opals. I have heard the old Event line up and thought they sounded like a padded cell just like Alesis Monitor Ones if anyone is old enough to recall. I have to admit I did take the Opals home to try and was pleasantly impressed with instant translatable mixes. They were not like their predecessors at all.

Now these Spiral Grooves and Spencer have me intrigued. We shared some emails and he is sincerely excited about them. I am thinking on trying them as well. I just have my studio all over the place right now. It sounds like these are my kind of speaker not sure. I am not a loud listener. I have managed to save my ears over the years. I don't think under 95db is a challenge.

Anyway...thought I would pipe in. My story of the Opals was an example of keeping an open mind. You don't know until you try yourself what is going to please you but I have heard a lot of buzz on the SG units. Spencer, how many mixes have you guys done now on the SGs? Are you still being won over? IF you can share what genre or genres you have been mixing with them. Any insight on that?
Lou .
Old 6th November 2013
Lives for gear

I am wondering if I should upgrade my animas to the sg's.
Old 6th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic View Post
Interesting. I just read up . There is Sonic Anima (older company) and the SG or Canalis model as of today. Both the same designer. The latter looks to be the same speaker as the SG in a lot of ways. Other than finish possibly? (Actually Sonic on the right in the pics) ....edited to decipher pic location.....
Attached Thumbnails
Spiral Grooves Monitor-213canan.promo_.jpg   Spiral Grooves Monitor-sonics-anima-02_155210.jpg  
Old 6th November 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEgo View Post
Interesting. I just read up . There is Sonic Anima (older company) and the SG or Canalis model as of today. Both the same designer. The latter looks to be the same speaker as the SG in a lot of ways. Other than finish possibly?
The new ones go lower (44Hz/-3dB I think?) than the older ones due to their new, bamboo boxes.
Old 10th November 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic View Post
Wondering the same thing here. To get the parts swapped into the new cabs is $1k.
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear
i have a pair and completely love them.

I'm used to them now...but when i first heard them it was a pretty mind blowing experience. People really need to check them out. It's a whole other level of monitoring.
Old 11th November 2013
Gear Maniac
I have the Animas and also completely love them. The best way I can describe them is that they have the best combination I've heard of presenting both details and the big-picture. They present details (reverb tails, small EQ changes, transients, compression) so accurately that I never worry about missing any important information in the mix. But at the same time, they present big-picture information (especially when I monitor at reasonable lower volume levels) in a way that encourages me to make better musical decisions while I'm mixing, in the same way that my avantones do. So, they might not be the most impressive playback speakers you'll ever hear - I was more blown away by the mm27s at my friend's studio, for instance - but they're just incredibly useful tools for mixing music that sounds as musical and as technically correct as possible on the largest number of playback systems. So in that regard, they're probably my best ever purchase of audio gear.

As for upgrading to the Studio One cabinet material - I suppose part of me is tempted to try that, but realistically speaking I know there's basically zero chance that I'll be able to tell a difference. You could probably put both in one room and have me do a blind A-B test and I wouldn't be able to pick which was which with any consistency. So I think I'll just stick with what I know works and spend my energy trying to make my music better. I realize that's borderline blasphemy on Gearslutz, but it's possible that these speakers are so good that they've cured me of some of my gearsluttiness.
Old 11th November 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammon2004 View Post

As for upgrading to the Studio One cabinet material - I suppose part of me is tempted to try that, but realistically speaking I know there's basically zero chance that I'll be able to tell a difference. You could probably put both in one room and have me do a blind A-B test and I wouldn't be able to pick which was which with any consistency. So I think I'll just stick with what I know works and spend my energy trying to make my music better. I realize that's borderline blasphemy on Gearslutz, but it's possible that these speakers are so good that they've cured me of some of my gearsluttiness.
Amen, Gammon. Although the boost down to 44hz would help, I too know this speaker very well now. I have the MM27s if I am mixing something that requires chest bass, but even then it's easier to hear the balance post compression on the Animas.
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks guys, Lucey did seem to think it was worth it for the bass improvement but I plan on getting Audeze cans plus I have bigger monitors to get that sense of low bass. I also feel some of the sub type information is better suited to mastering anyway.
Old 14th November 2013
Gear Head

Still haven't found out the actual difference between Spiral Groove Studio Ones and Canalis Animas by Spiral Groove.
First I thought it must be the frequency extension that everybody is talking about, but the new animas shows the same specifications as the SGS1's.
Anima Specifications
Whats with the components? Are they the same?

And where can someone listen and purchase them in europe?
Old 14th November 2013
Gear Maniac
As far as I'm aware, there is no difference between the *current generation* Canalis Anima speakers and the Spiral Groove Studio One speakers, other than branding. But both of those speakers are an updated version of the speaker that was also called Anima but was branded as "Sonics by Joachim Gerhard." That 1st generation Sonics Anima speaker has the exact same electronics as the current speakers but has a cabinet made of wood instead of bamboo, and as such has a slightly smaller bandwith in the bass region. But probably also has an ever so slightly different tone that some people may prefer. Though as I said earlier, I would be very surprised if I could reliably tell which is which.

I would assume that everyone on this thread who is saying they have Anima speakers (myself included) is saying that they have the first generation Sonics Anima, because we bought them before so many people realized how good they were as studio monitors and they were re-branded to Spiral Groove, at which time they also changed cabinet manufacturers and material. I've been told that the wood cabinets in the older models were actually more expensive to make than the current bamboo cabinets, so even if the bamboo is an improvement that might not have been the only reason for switching. Given that the Anima was originally conceived as a hi-end listening speaker, not many people in the studio business had heard of it before they changed the branding and started marketing it to mixing engineers.
Old 14th November 2013
Gear Guru

To confuse it further, I just went to that Canalis link above and find in the ABOUT page both Canalis and Spiral Groove. Is this the same company? Very confusing.....

In any case, on that Canalis site there is a UK distributor which raises my hope of demoing a pair. Emailed and waiting......
Old 14th November 2013
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
To confuse it further, I just went to that Canalis link above and find in the ABOUT page both Canalis and Spiral Groove. Is this the same company? Very confusing.....

In any case, on that Canalis site there is a UK distributor which raises my hope of demoing a pair. Emailed and waiting......
Yup, it's always been one primary company making both Canalis and SG. The different branding is just for marketing and/or legal purposes, it seems. Good find with the UK Canalis distributor! I don't see anything on that page about amplifiers, though - I'm using the Class D Audio Spiral Groove Amp that they recommended on the website and it works great for me, but I'm not sure what they'd be sending you with the demo. Though I imagine most any quality amp will work great.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search