The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Spiral Grooves Monitor
Old 14th November 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammon2004 View Post
Yup, it's always been one primary company making both Canalis and SG. The different branding is just for marketing and/or legal purposes, it seems. Good find with the UK Canalis distributor! I don't see anything on that page about amplifiers, though - I'm using the Class D Audio Spiral Groove Amp that they recommended on the website and it works great for me, but I'm not sure what they'd be sending you with the demo. Though I imagine most any quality amp will work great.
Just got a mail back. Their 'demo' style is pay for them, get them sent for 7-10 day trial and if you don't want them and send them back unscathed, do that for a full refund.

Now the only thing that irks me is how much they have gone up in price..... If no other way presents itself I may just end up going there eventually....
Old 14th November 2013
Lives for gear

Go for it. There is a very good chance you won't be sending them back.
Old 14th November 2013
Gear Guru

Right.

Who has these things in London?

Anyone happy for me to come visit for a quick listen? I really want to hear these puppies......ideally without effectively buying them first.
Old 14th November 2013
Lives for gear

Just know in advance that the SG's are for monitoring 1-2m at up to 95db or so. If you're looking for loud, these may not be your thing. For me, it encourages me to protect my ears.
Old 14th November 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodwindy View Post
Just know in advance that the SG's are for monitoring 1-2m at up to 95db or so. If you're looking for loud, these may not be your thing. For me, it encourages me to protect my ears.
Don't need loud. Pretty much have all I want in my PSI A21's....but curious....and also interested in them because they'll upset my less than perfect room less round the bottom end.
Old 15th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Don't need loud. Pretty much have all I want in my PSI A21's....but curious....and also interested in them because they'll upset my less than perfect room less round the bottom end.
Please try them and tell us what you think!

I'd love to try them myself, might do that one day (but first Quested). I don't think it's pragmatic to have both PSI A21 and Spiral Groove, but if the Spiral Groove are as detailed and true as A21 and perhaps more musical, I'd be willing to sell the PSI. Still... arg... the PSI are so lovely! just thinking about it is wrong.
Old 17th November 2013
Gear Head

Emailed the german distributor a few day ago, still no answer :/

Hope you go for it Karloff and find a way to listen to these!
If I find someone who is distributing in middle europe I would do it even if I have to pay for a demo.
Old 17th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetom View Post
Emailed the german distributor a few day ago, still no answer :/
Who's the german distributor?

Thanks !

R.
Old 9th December 2013
Lives for gear

There's a german site that sells the Sonics (60Hz - 33kHz) for a little over 1k.
The SGS1 go for close to 3k, with int.shipping and taxes it's over 3k. Euros that is.

Really wondering if the SGS1 chassis upgrade is worth it.
Has anybody experienced both?
Old 9th December 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdilletteMan View Post
There's a german site that sells the Sonics (60Hz - 33kHz) for a little over 1k.
The SGS1 go for close to 3k, with int.shipping and taxes it's over 3k. Euros that is.

Really wondering if the SGS1 chassis upgrade is worth it.
Has anybody experienced both?
I think it's more than a chassis upgrade...
Old 9th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayo View Post
I think it's more than a chassis upgrade...
Well, hopefully somebody knows more about differences/similarities
and shares it with us.
Old 9th December 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdilletteMan View Post
Well, hopefully somebody knows more about differences/similarities
and shares it with us.
If you do a search and find Brian Lucey's first posts about the Spiral Grooves vs Sonic Animas, I recall he talked at length about the differences in design.
Old 9th December 2013
Gear Addict

The only difference is the box. I could send my Sonics in and have them put in the bamboo box if I wanted but right now I'm getting the results I want and frankly the best thing about these for me is their ease of use in small rooms. Sure the extra roll off in the low end would be great but I don't really need it as the impression of the fundamentals is already there.
Old 9th December 2013
Gear Addict

Also don't trust the German site selling the animas. I don't know for sure but I think those aren't quite legit. Search for prior posts from Brian Lucey on that.
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynedelario View Post
Also don't trust the German site selling the animas. I don't know for sure but I think those aren't quite legit. Search for prior posts from Brian Lucey on that.
K, good to know.
btw, there are some animas on german ebay atm.
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynedelario View Post
Why aren't these legit?

According to Brian Lucey here, (Spiral Groove Studio One vs PSI A21-M) they are IDENTICAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
The Spiral Groove Studio One speaker line branding and look was my idea and I am the source here, please shoot me an email on any of this ****. [email protected]

Facts: The Canalis Anima and the Spiral Groove Studio One are IDENTICAL except the color and badge AND we break in the SGS1 for 7-10 days at high volume. Canalis Anima are to be sold to hi fi people, SGS1 are to be sold only to studios.

It was my sense that our world needed black, and I wanted to provide the service to you, to break these in so they are ready to go. This takes time and effort to do properly and carefully. Hi-Fi people buying the Canalis Anima are going to sit there and smoke a cigar for a month as they break in ... we need to work NOW. No other dealer does this. So ... the Canalis Anima will sound thin and tight for a VERY long time. Quality caps and drivers that move a lot need break in. SGS1 is ready to go after you get the set up ... and they get slightly better over time.

---

The CS can be done in the SGS1 black look. It has a very heavy metal base and better components in the crossover. No expense was spared approach. This is an upgrade, but not something you need to mix. I was happy with the old Anima that had a -3 at 63 in birch. The bamboo is now -3 at 44 now and far more quiet.
It seems the only difference is the cabinet material (-3 @ 63 vs -3 @ 44) and the SG's are broken in already, vs the Anima's will need broke in.

Am I missing something?
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

The Canalis Anima is not the same speaker as the German one....
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

Canalis Anima loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

Interesting article. It appears they are not the exact same speaker, but closely related...
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomatic View Post
The Canalis Anima is not the same speaker as the German one....
And you know this how?
...not saying that they are, because I don't know.

Since we are already in the land of speculation here, they look the same to me.
Same designer (J.Gerhard), same chassis design, driver, woofer and same specs as the old pre bamboo Canalis.
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

Read the article posted above. The German version is the Anima by Sonics. The Spiral Grooves are a redesign of this speaker and made in the U.S. If I remember, the crossover and cabinet had been changed in the Canalis version.

Maybe Brian can chime in and confim?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search