The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Which Neumann mic would suit my voice?
Old 18th November 2013
Gear Nut

Thanks! Kind words . Well the vocals are a little too wet, I agree. Will keep that in mind for our next release.
Remember I had just bought a new reverb at that time (uad EMT 140), and got a little carried away with it
/Gustav
Old 6th December 2013
Here for the gear

On that 4k budget I'd go u87 and 1073. It's really hard to make anything sound bad with that combo. The thing with the 87 is that it takes EQ very well. It might sound just "ok" right out of the box but with the right preamp and little EQ it will win 90% of the time. I've owned the TLM 103, 49 and 67. I currently own the U87 and M149. The only one I didn't like is the 103. Too harsh on most sources. Almost unusable when compared to the others.
Old 9th December 2013
Gear Maniac

I think you might need colored(full of harmonic dist.) mics because your organic music needs to be filled by vocal track.
The reason you used reverb too much like that is because you felt something's missing, and the something is "harmonic distortion of vocal track" I think.

I'm curious what if you used ...
1)Telefunken AK-47 MkII + BAE pre or Manley Tube pre or API pre.
2)Manley Mic + BAE pre or Manley Tube Pre,

M149tube is in my opinion less colored(less harmonic dist.) for male voice.
M149tube is good with electric tracks imo.

Among Telefunken RFT mics, I like CU29 the best because it sounds like ELAM251 more than others,
but ELAM251 type might be too smooth for your music also.
For Telefunken, AK-47 MkII may be the one for your production.

Well, if I were you I'd start with a Telefunken mic + Prism Sound Lyra as Mic pre and Audio IF.
If want a comp, I'd get portico one with silk mode.

By the way, I'm not a fan of U87 either.
I have a vintage one, but it's for someone who wants because it's famous among non-gearsluty people.
However U87 with "Inner Tube Audio U87 Tube Kit" will sound amazing to me, I suppose.
The audio sample (someone uploaded on G.S.Thread) was very beautiful to me.
I wanna get one kit someday.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search