All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Dangerous Audio Compressor
Old 4th May 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Why are you selling.

Cheers
I already own a bunch of nice analog compressors, and it is just not the flavor I am searching for.

John
Old 6th May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
Great sounding live mixes! As a live sound guy for 20+ years I give you kudos! What console were you using?
The comp sounds great too!
Thanks much! I think that was a CL5 that day, not my console of choice, nor even ON my rider for FOH Consoles, but hey it's what we had...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immersion View Post
Well I hope you would be willing to share more samples of it.
it hard to give you specifics, but as I am to use it on full mixes that is the most intersting aspect for me, I would love to see if the music is still dynamic even if you increase to more extreme settings or of it feels brickwalled.
Absolutely, I'd even happily pass through some of your stuff if you'd like. I've been working on a record that has this on the 2bus, and it working in a way that gets me to my destination much faster, works well for me. I'll post some samples when I've got a few "finals" done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I might be in the minority and I'm not about to judge a compressor without demoing it, but from this example I can hear compressor artifacts that I find not flattering. Especially for -1.5 dB.

It's most evident to me in the kick drum. In the "B" file, in both examples with the compressor, I can hear it doing something to the kick I don't like. It's almost making it pillow-like. Or like it's sucking the thump out of the kick. In the uncompressed examples, the kick hits me in the chest. In the compressed ones, it feels "hollow" if that makes any sense.
I'm actually really taken aback by how many people say this compressor is transparent, I don't agree in the least. It definitely has a sound, and even with 1.5dB of compression on it, I can hear it clearly. I don't personally agree on the tonal opinions, but that's just opinion on both ends. I like what a wide open mix sounds like, and I feel this brings the mix closer to what a commercial mix sounds like, which although it tends to be quite squashed, this does it in a way that I am pretty happy with, versus some others I've tried. To each their own of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
My comments would agree with the sound being a little too smacked , and the drums do sound changed a bit too much . I really love the sound of the uncompressed mix . what were your settings ? Maybe try the lowest ratio , fastest attack and hardly .5 db of reduction , to set it up more as transparent leveler .
This is 1.4:1 manual attack (10 o clock) and release (11 o clock),

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search