The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Old Hardware synth for 'Fat' Electro baseline
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

Old Hardware synth for 'Fat' Electro baseline

Hey guys,

I've never really had the budget to use vintage synthesisers and they have always interested me.

I'm currently working on a track and I need a really fat sounding bass. I'm thinking of renting a hardware synth as I would like to work with an
analogue bass plus it would be great fun! Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm thinking the original MS-20 atm?

Cheers guys! :D
Old 23rd October 2013
You can use a new ms-20 too. Sh-101 is cool and still affordable. You might be in the wrong forum here tho
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

mooooog
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

emu or juno 106
arp 2600
oberheim
prophet

or just buy a novation bass station 2 @ 499 usd

Cheers
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

Had a more in-depth search and there's another good post on here. People suggested the Sequential Pro One?

I should probably give an example.. I'm looking for something similar to the Steve Angello - Knas baseline. I've tweeted the guy at Vengeance who actually made that but not sure if I'll get a response. Anyone have any ideas of what was used?

Thanks again
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Maniac

The best would be a minimoog (in good condition - otherwise, it could quickly become a nightmare) - if you don't have the budget, try to find a second hand Studio Electronics SE-1 - very impressive (we have both and usually work with the SE-1) - have fun !
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaud Charlier View Post
The best would be a minimoog (in good condition - otherwise, it could quickly become a nightmare) - if you don't have the budget, try to find a second hand Studio Electronics SE-1 - very impressive (we have both and usually work with the SE-1) - have fun !
Thanks for that.

As I'm only renting it budget isn't a major concern.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Yep the MiniMoog is the first synth that comes to mind for that description.
Though both an MS20 and Pro One are capable of great classic bass sounds, the MiniMoog is the King for that.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

Thanks guys. I'm going to go for the minimoog. Excited!

Cheers :D
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I just had a listen to Knas, and it sounds like a more modern synth doing the bassline. It doesn't make me think an old hardware synth.
Old 23rd October 2013
Yeah the moog filter might be a little out of style
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishRed View Post
Had a more in-depth search and there's another good post on here. People suggested the Sequential Pro One?

I should probably give an example.. I'm looking for something similar to the Steve Angello - Knas baseline. I've tweeted the guy at Vengeance who actually made that but not sure if I'll get a response. Anyone have any ideas of what was used?

Thanks again
I am that guy
The sound uses nothing but 2 Nexus internal sawtooth waveforms and a white noise + some distortion inserts in nexus. The Preset in Nexus is called Crazy Dab Bass

no "old magic vintage gear" involved
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

dude... working on a minimoog, prodigy, juno... thought they sounded FAT... until I bought a moogerfooger 107 - The FreqBox. it's a VCO that follows your input signal, so it's like an additional oszillator. this little thing really turns your paltry snythsounds into screaming monsters, especially leads and bass sounds. i'd rather sell the minimoog than the mf107... for instant fun: loopback-mode on the minimoog plus mf107
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Wow...

So nice to see mister manuel schleiss on this forum.

Have Nexus myself and one of the only soft synths I own these days.

Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search