The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Quality parametric to couple with clariphonic?
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict
Quality parametric to couple with clariphonic?

Hey Slutz,

I would like to add a quality eq, one that will play well with my Clariphonic.
I know the usual contenders however I would like to save money by getting something which will not offer what the clariphonic already does.

So a parametric which does not go that high and thus is cheaper on the used market but still respectable and rocking the lower frequencies like the best out there would be where it's at I assume.

Surgery capability would be a welcomed feature but lack of is not a deal breaker as I can do that in plugins. I don't have anything that I am happy with on the hardware side when dealing with 110-600 so just thinking out loud. Either I can't scoop out precisely what I need or there are other issues that annoy me. Anyway back to the task at hand...

An example of use would be:
A)Mix bus on jazz quartet (with electric bass): Yet To Be Named Eq>Clariphonic>SSL bus comp (clone)
B)Eletric piano>parallel compression>Yet To Be Named Eq
C)Sculpting a stereo miked double bass with the Yet To Be Named Eq in a way that will not add noise which could later show up when I dial in some air with the clariphonic

I need the noise to be classical/jazz mix buss sensible. Thats not what it will be only used for but that is where I need to make sure I am covered as the piece needs to be able to live on my mix buss as default.

I hate patchbays as I have only a small studio so if something is a liability I have to let it go most of the time. Too many times stuff is only good for drum room or what have you.

Drop some wisdom guys.

Cheerio,
BOP
Old 22nd October 2013
Maag or Harrison?
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Roger Schult makes a single band 500 series parametric EQ, the W2377. There's a set of three (low/mid/high) and although they work well together, you can use them individually. The low one covers 20 to 730 Hz; the mid-range 155 Hz to 3.5k. It's very clean and transparent.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

fully parametric and high-quality analog EQ for cheap will be hard to find. if you have the clariphonic I'd look for something that's cool on lows and mids. maybe already over the budget, but api5500 is great on bass/low mids. nice transformers as well... I had it in my chain before I swapped the clariphonic, but always liked the results.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverV View Post
Roger Schult makes a single band 500 series parametric EQ, the W2377. There's a set of three (low/mid/high) and although they work well together, you can use them individually. The low one covers 20 to 730 Hz; the mid-range 155 Hz to 3.5k. It's very clean and transparent.
It's a bit too expensive for what it is don't you think?
6 Units of RS + lunchbox gives you 3 bands per channel "stereo" unit for about 4000 euros if my math is correct and at this price range one can grab a gml or a massive passive.
Resale value is a big deal for me too so if something is a staple piece it's an added benefit.

I am a bit wary of the 500 series btw. - It's just too sexy and too fresh and then you get just one PSU for 11 modules or something of the sort if you want it to live in ye oldie rack.
Thats a lot of modules sharing one PSU (unless I am missing something here, going from memory).

I liked the API 5500 suggestion and it's in a 1U enclosure which I dig.
The 5500 would grab the mids hard right?
I would really like to get the smudge out of the lower mids without having to only cut cut cut.

Love,
BOP
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOP View Post
I liked the API 5500 suggestion and it's in a 1U enclosure which I dig.
The 5500 would grab the mids hard right?
I would really like to get the smudge out of the lower mids without having to only cut cut cut.

Love,
BOP
5500 can be the ticket on guitar stuff, I always dig the bass and low mids on this unit. and yes, it can be a litle too "hard". but, even with the gains at unity, the tranformers do kind of a very subtle enhancement which I like. the 1/0.5/0.25 range knob is a very cool feature as well.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

They are not very cheap, it's true, but then again, this is the High End forum... They are undoubtedly high quality though. The modularity means that you wouldn't need to splash out on 6 units - 2 of the low frequency ones would work very well for some dedicated sculpting in the range you mentioned, particularly if you're happy using software for more surgical stuff.

There are 1u racks available which power 2 or 3 500 series modules at a time.

Good luck with your search!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOP View Post
It's a bit too expensive for what it is don't you think?
6 Units of RS + lunchbox gives you 3 bands per channel "stereo" unit for about 4000 euros if my math is correct and at this price range one can grab a gml or a massive passive.
Resale value is a big deal for me too so if something is a staple piece it's an added benefit.

I am a bit wary of the 500 series btw. - It's just too sexy and too fresh and then you get just one PSU for 11 modules or something of the sort if you want it to live in ye oldie rack.
Thats a lot of modules sharing one PSU (unless I am missing something here, going from memory).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search