The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Electro Harmonix NY-2A - still good?
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

Electro Harmonix NY-2A - still good?

I'm considering a used EHX NY-2A... Reading up, I've see folks say they like theirs, however those posts are often a few years old and mixed in with posts about technical issues with them...

So... Do you have one? Still use it? Still love it?
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Bumpity?
Old 23rd October 2013
member no 666

Asking if its "still good" implies that it was ever good... in my experience it was never very good, I should imagine it still isn't very good.

Peace
Old 23rd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Asking if its "still good" implies that it was ever good... in my experience it was never very good, I should imagine it still isn't very good.

Peace
It makes me very happy when you weigh in here with common sense and honesty. All is right in the world.
Old 23rd October 2013
Except for the fact that the unit sounded good...

Maybe there were other issues that I'm not aware of that made it SOUND not "good", but it would be important to differentiate between one and the other.
Old 23rd October 2013
member no 666

They sounded OK... but they were HIGHLY inconsistent from unit to unit and channel to channel, which in my world makes them "not good". If there was a calibration procedure the user could go through at the beginning of every session then that would have been closer to acceptable -- but there wasn't -- and having a "stereo" capable unit that was unmatched between sides [and would vary on what seemed like an arbitrary basis] made the unit unuseable in my world... but as always -- YMMV.

Peace
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

First one we had here came with a blown right channel straight out of the box. EH sent another brand new unit that's been great since. The fan is kinda loud. Not the easiest compressor to use. I'm sure some guys love it. I'd rather have a pair of 1176's haha.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

The EHX NY2A is a nice unit... I don't know about all that "unmatched sides" jazz, but one should probably make sure the tubes they're using are reasonably matched. I haven't sat down with a glut of them and compared unit to unit, so who knows about that, but if ya hear one side wildly different from another on something like this, checking the tubes is a good common sense thing to do.

EH has been making gear for ages, and it's not shabby stuff either even if it's usually associated with guitar fx.
Old 23rd October 2013
Jai guru deva om

I would love to try this compressor again, as it had potential but was finicky as all get out when I had it in my hands. Very impressive at AES that year but the unit I was sent (we're talking 2005, another lifetime ago) was pretty hard to get along with. I remember switching modes on it was way out of whack on threshold reference and gain staging.

I also remember it sounding very nice and having a nice vibe.

I'm going to reach out to Electroharmonix about the NY-2A and see if it might be worth trying again if they worked out the kinks.

Sitting here typing at this very moment I agree 100% with Fletcher's experience.

War
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I remember switching modes on it was way out of whack on threshold reference and gain staging.
That was inherent to it's design. It's a pain, but not a defect or unit out of spec situation.

I remember reading that Eddie Ciletti had modded one to fix this issue, which if so would be a big improvement. Though it makes me wonder why EH didn't do this from the get go if it was relatively easy for Ciletti to do.
Old 23rd October 2013
Jai guru deva om

Hmm, interesting...the tech here at ZenPro knows Eddie too.

War
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

I owned one of these and traded it before i got an air conditioner in my studio. This thing throws out some HEAT and my NY2A didn't have a fan. It was literally too hot to be in the room with, unless the studio started the day very cold.

I liked it, it had some cool color. Not something I would want on a 2 buss, on any of the styles. I do like the idea of different styles of comp like VCA/ Opto/FET on the same box.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

I owned one of these and traded it before i got an air conditioner in my studio. This thing throws out some HEAT and my NY2A didn't have a fan. It was literally too hot to be in the room with, unless the studio started the day very cold.

I liked it, it had some cool color. Not something I would want on a 2 buss, on any of the styles. I do like the idea of different styles of comp like VCA/ Opto/FET on the same box.
Old 24th October 2013
Jai guru deva om

It was actually 3 different styles or "speeds" of optical and not VCA, etc.

EHX.com | NY-2A - Rackmount Stereo Tube Optical Compressor | Electro-Harmonix

War
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Thanks all for your comments.

Sounds to me like a unit that would be fun to have for an option, so long as you had other, more consistent stereo comps to fall back on if it was acting up!

I think I'll pass.
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Guru

i have one sitting right here ...had to send to Eh when it stopped working ... they had it for months ... put the Fan lit in and fixed it up .. i use once in awhile ... has a cool vibe to it if you use it and not push it too hard ... the right channel acts up once in a while but just turning off and back on settles it down ... need to let it warm up for awhile ... and yes, sucker gets pretty hot .. would not run without a fan kit or fan on it all the time

cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search