The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API The box?
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Nut

API The box?

Have you guys seen this new summing mixer/routing mixer?

Looks cool, check it out;

http://www.apiaudio.com/thebox.html
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Looks fantastic. They will sell a LOT of these.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear
Is it all the same circuitry as a real API?

Coolest thing this year for me! WOW!
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Doesn't look like it has automated faders...does it?
Old 19th October 2013
Looks pretty cool. Don't get the name though, doesn't look like a box to me.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Doesn't look like it has automated faders...does it?
No, there's no automation on this. I don't think it needs it but maybe they could develop an automation package based off what the API 1608 can have. I just wouldn't hold my breath because that's a $14,000 fader system and the Box's layout is different so they'd need to develop something similar that fits the framework.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daez View Post
Looks pretty cool. Don't get the name though, doesn't look like a box to me.
It will give a whole new meaning to the phrase "Mixing in The Box".
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
It will give a whole new meaning to the phrase "Mixing in The Box".
I like that...I wish there was an option to upgrade to four built in EQ's since the first two 550a's are not 500 series or removable...I'd just want four of the same thing honestly.
Old 19th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
I like that...I wish there was an option to upgrade to four built in EQ's since the first two 550a's are not 500 series or removable...I'd just want four of the same thing honestly.
I find the 550 kinda limiting. Put some e27s in that btch.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycox View Post
I find the 550 kinda limiting. Put some e27s in that btch.
If only haha...they don't make those anymore.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Game changer for project studios i think..
Old 19th October 2013
don't like the name and the logo is huge and ugly.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

I think $17000 for the limited functions and gear it would replace is pretty outrages. I dont theyll sell many personally - its just too high a price for anyone whod be seriously wiing to actually put down seventen thousand dollars for what is essentially a 2 channel - 16 summing bus with faders (1 stereo send - really). Just another waste of this format. I still think the 51x crowd if they went professional could pull something off much more usable and cheaper for sure
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

Yeah if this was under $10k I'd be interested. $17k is little steep for what this offers I feel.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

I like the product, but I agree it's still priced very high for people like me who work 80 percent of the time at a home studio. This is where SSL nailed it with the x-desk and x-rack systems.

I wish API would strip it down like the X-desk and maybe have a blank 500 per summing channel.

With that said I still like it.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Looks nice. Reading the manual it looks well thought out, looks more like a mini console than a typical summing mixer.

The 4 chans of mic pres and 2 chans of of EQs are kind of unnecessary for a summing mixer. Would have been nice if they just left it open as 8 500 series slots. Leaving those out would have saved like 4-5k off the price.

The main thing though which most summing mixers lack that really limits their functionality is stereo busses. Would be nice to see a summing mixer with like 2 stereo busses with inserts available on top of a master buss. Doing a drum submix so that you can process it as a group before sending it to the master requires work arounds on most summing mixers. If only the 4 input channels on this unit also worked as assignable busses...
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Are the 527's patchable into any channel or only hard wired on the 2buss or the 4 recording channels?

I think they manage to fit a lot into the small foot print.. REAL faders are a god send and the integration of a proper centre section, balanced inserts and the raft of other features that truly do make it just a like a console, yet it dont look like an API legacy!

If you could add additional fader buckets to it that would be a slam dunk for me..

Agree that the 550/pres/comps might not be to everyones taste but if there was a version sans them for around $12.5 K then it would be a total no brainer for most given we've got all our fave outboard units already or we could put our beloved 500 series into the blank slots.

Will be interesting to hear it in action
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Looks interesting.. Subscribed!
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

Ahhh man... Im saving up for a RND 5060, I might have to rethink what Im saving for.
Old 19th October 2013
There is so much more they could have done here to make this more widely appealing for the money. I would've liked to have seen a 2500 comp and a stereo EQ on each stereo channel of the summing mixer, and a 500 series of each at that, so you could swap them out for others if you wished to.

HOW ABOUT A BOXPLUS? 16 input channels would be sweet. 16 channel strips all with direct outs or bussed to the summing mixer in various ways with direct outs on those channels and then still have the 16 buss summing mixer with all that flexibility? Hells yeah.

But 18K for what's there? Pass.
Old 20th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
There is so much more they could have done here to make this more widely appealing for the money. I would've liked to have seen a 2500 comp and a stereo EQ on each stereo channel of the summing mixer, and a 500 series of each at that, so you could swap them out for others if you wished to.

HOW ABOUT A BOXPLUS? 16 input channels would be sweet. 16 channel strips all with direct outs or bussed to the summing mixer in various ways with direct outs on those channels and then still have the 16 buss summing mixer with all that flexibility? Hells yeah.

But 18K for what's there? Pass.
At that point what's the difference vs just buying all the components separately? Summing mixer, 2500,lunchboxes, patchbays. Probably more flexible and less expensive.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycox View Post
At that point what's the difference vs just buying all the components separately? Summing mixer, 2500,lunchboxes, patchbays. Probably more flexible and less expensive.
They just discontinued the summing line...but yes you could get a bunch of stuff separate for less, but the main thing with this is the routing it's capable off. I think it's fine, and pretty interesting.

It's not going to replace my PM2000 though....
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Maybe I'm missing something, but no dedicated aux returns? You need to burn summing channels as FX returns? Tell me I'm wrong.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown soldier View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but no dedicated aux returns? You need to burn summing channels as FX returns? Tell me I'm wrong.
You are missing something, if you check the manual there's a Stereo AUX Send and two Mono Aux Sends on every channel.

(From the manual.)

"Auxiliary Sends
Auxiliary/Cue Controls

Mono Aux Sends 1/2 AUX 1 and AUX 2 are mono auxiliary sends that feed aux buses 1 and 2. These sends are commonly used as effects sends, but can be used for additional headphone feed or other purposes. A common on/off switch is used to silently engage both mono sends. The post-fader signal feeds AUX 1/2 by default, but the pair can be switched to the pre-fader signal. “The BOX” is equipped with four (4) auxiliary sends fed by two (2) mono auxiliary sends (1/2), and one (1) stereo auxiliary/cue send (3/4). Each pair of sends has pre/post-fader routing and an on/off switch. The stereo aux send (3/4) can be routed to feed the stereo cue bus instead of aux buses 3 & 4. To support these sends, “The BOX” is equipped with four auxiliary buses, a stereo cue bus, and corresponding masters with balanced outputs."
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

price seems a bit high, the components add up to about 10k
so you pay 7k for a console/chassis?
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by therock View Post
seems like a complete ripoff, the components add up to about 10k
so you pay 7k for a chassis?
I'd rather spend a little more on the Aurora Sidecar myself. BUT...I don't know...I don't think it's a total rip-off...still if the price was about $10K-$12K they would sell a lot more of these.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
You are missing something, if you check the manual there's a Stereo AUX Send and two Mono Aux Sends on every channel.

(From the manual.)

"Auxiliary Sends
Auxiliary/Cue Controls

Mono Aux Sends 1/2 AUX 1 and AUX 2 are mono auxiliary sends that feed aux buses 1 and 2. These sends are commonly used as effects sends, but can be used for additional headphone feed or other purposes. A common on/off switch is used to silently engage both mono sends. The post-fader signal feeds AUX 1/2 by default, but the pair can be switched to the pre-fader signal. “The BOX” is equipped with four (4) auxiliary sends fed by two (2) mono auxiliary sends (1/2), and one (1) stereo auxiliary/cue send (3/4). Each pair of sends has pre/post-fader routing and an on/off switch. The stereo aux send (3/4) can be routed to feed the stereo cue bus instead of aux buses 3 & 4. To support these sends, “The BOX” is equipped with four auxiliary buses, a stereo cue bus, and corresponding masters with balanced outputs."
Um, I said aux RETURNS, like a true FX aux/return setup that most consoles have. I don't see dedicated FX returns which doesnt' make the aux busses useful for outboard FX...you have to use the summing inputs for FX returns...
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown soldier View Post
Um, I said aux RETURNS, like a true FX aux/return setup that most consoles have. I don't see dedicated FX returns which doesnt' make the aux busses useful for outboard FX...you have to use the summing inputs for FX returns...
Whoops! Sorry...misread that.

Yeah and I'm not seeing anything in the manual yet...that could be a big problem with the design for sure then.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

I really don't like to be negative, and I hope this doesn't come across that way, but the whole time I'm watching the video I'm thinking "well if this has direct outs on the 16 channels then you could use this board for tracking (in conjunction with your outboard pres) and have everything up on the faders before hitting your converters." This would make it so useful, especially with the monitoring features built in. This way you could use it for summing, mixing, or tracking. Direct outs and Aux returns would be crucial here. I even think it would be cool to leave off the 4 ins and the eq's and 527's if the price was a bit lower and it had direct outs and Aux returns. But that's just me and of course my preferences don't necessarily hold true for anyone else.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

No busses or aux returns make this more of a high end summing box than a true console.

It's got some nice features, but seems more of a specific solution for certain folks, and not broad enough to be thought of as an actual "console."

No aux returns kills it for me - I want to use my outboard lex PCM stuff and if I do that it means I have less channels to mix with.

Nice idea, but I agree it is overpriced and only good for very specific studio situations.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search