The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
API The box?
Old 22nd August 2016
the only other option i have is a used harrison950 console, so im bouncing my head between the two (but leaning highly towards daBOX)
Old 22nd August 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
does The Box have an internal or external power supply? is there a fan inside it?
Internal psu - no fan inside.
Old 22nd August 2016
t_d
Lives for gear

excellent... thanks! really hate fans in gear (unless they're absolutely necessary)..

as soon as my other console sells, it's the The Box for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... View Post
Internal psu - no fan inside.
Old 23rd August 2016
Lives for gear

Perhaps a paragraph or two establishing the foundation for calling chasing yesterdays technology "foolish" would have been appropriate.
There is clear and obvious difference between MEASURABLE vs PERCEIVABLE. Once the analog signal is past a quality tube mic it is extremely diffacult, if not impossible, for perceivable differences to be objectively determined. This is especially true if a digital conversion is in play any where in the recording chain. Subjective sonic proclivities drive most audio gear decisions and from time to time it may be a good idea to inject a dose of real world reality into the conversation.
I have spent more than 40 years in studio work and any notion that yesterdays gear and processing produced a better synergistic product is pure BS. If riding down yesterdays "tubes, tape and ribbons" road is your thing - Please ride on: however we should not allow the casual reader to be misled into believing this 14K box is the nirvana that leads to a gold std. of commercial recording. It just aint so!
Hugh
Old 23rd August 2016
Lives for gear

Old 23rd August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
Perhaps a paragraph or two establishing the foundation for calling chasing yesterdays technology "foolish" would have been appropriate.
There is clear and obvious difference between MEASURABLE vs PERCEIVABLE. Once the analog signal is past a quality tube mic it is extremely diffacult, if not impossible, for perceivable differences to be objectively determined. This is especially true if a digital conversion is in play any where in the recording chain. Subjective sonic proclivities drive most audio gear decisions and from time to time it may be a good idea to inject a dose of real world reality into the conversation.
I have spent more than 40 years in studio work and any notion that yesterdays gear and processing produced a better synergistic product is pure BS. If riding down yesterdays "tubes, tape and ribbons" road is your thing - Please ride on: however we should not allow the casual reader to be misled into believing this 14K box is the nirvana that leads to a gold std. of commercial recording. It just aint so!
Hugh
Awesome!
Can you please tell us what gear you use? And a link to your work!
I think this would be great if you could fill us in! Thank You sir!!
Old 23rd August 2016
Which one would you want and why?

New Api "Box" -$15k
Used SSL Matrix $9
Used Harrison950m $15k
Old 23rd August 2016
t_d
Lives for gear

for me, The Box (just bought one!)

while i like SSL i'm not interested in a DAW controller, so i don't want/need the matrix.

the Harrison is nice, but, frankly, i really don't like the look of it. whatsoever. some may consider that a lame reason to not choose a piece of gear, but if i'm going to walk into the studio every day i need to see something that makes me happy.

my other close choice was the XL desk, but i really don't need that many simultaneous channels, and the thought of populating an entire XL desk full of 500 modules is an expensive one.

another solid contender would be the Audient ASP4816

The Box, after i initially dismissed it as "only a 4 channel mixer" started to make more sense once i looked at it as a 20-channel mixer. combined with a patch bay it starts to get a lot more flexible. the form factor/size is also perfect for my setup... and i wanted an analogue board, no DAW control, or firewire or anything else that will quickly outdate itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmelaub View Post
Which one would you want and why?

New Api "Box" -$15k
Used SSL Matrix $9
Used Harrison950m $15k
Old 23rd August 2016
Lives for gear

The Trident Console 88 16 Ch for $19k is One Of the best deals in the Console Buisiness!
Not to mention the A&H GS-R24M is amazing at under 10k sometimes used under $6000!!
Old 24th August 2016
Quote:
Mazel Tov!! Please let us know how you like it.(and pics)

Im in the same boat, i want a console that looks good!
Old 24th August 2016
Gear Guru

I dunno man there's just something cool about REAL STUFF that works when you turn it on and touch it. This is not a minor point, just look at all the successful studios you can find, they have tons of it, even if they do also use their computer, or whatever else. The value goes beyond simple price points and sonics, tech specs, whatever. To me the appeal is so obvious, that I find it hard to believe that someone could not see the appeal of real studio gear.

I don't feel like the hugest gearhead in the world, but when I boot up the studio to record a new song, I find my self turning on sometimes dozens of pieces of equipment just to get started. And that's just for basic tracking. I guess you (I) really do end up using the stuff. It's not just pretty to look at, but it is also pretty to look at.
Old 25th August 2016
Lives for gear

Thank you DR Music for your polite request: I have a lot of mics that I have deployed through many years of recording and concert SR including 4 of John Peluso's finest tube offerings. 10 years ago I crossed over to the dark side with an ADL600 to an RME interface for a Logic DAW. I followed up with a UA 4-710d and RME UFX and abandoned logic for a much more intuitive PerSonus Studio One DAW. My intro into digital processing occurred 15 years ago with an Alesis HD24 purchase that has not been turned on for more than 8 years. My first successful recording project was done in 1975, Rounder #44 "The Old Home Place", that won a Grammy. I also ran the console at all of the band's concerts that year with a wide verity of equipment in play. Today my SR gear includes a KV2 ES 10 box system with 3 EX10 wedges. A QU16 with the wedges for small guitar pulls and an S21 with the ES system when we need the channel count. The most important point I can make is the fact that the business of selling packaged recordings is well on the way to it's death. CD's, DVD's and the entire litany of jewell cased optical recordings are gathering dust and mold in the boxes they came in. For this and many other reasons I abandoned multitrack recording 5 years ago for commercial CD production and now use my equipment to produce multitrack audio for video's. Today an artist must stream their work on the various media outlets that are available and look to touring for their revenue stream. I gave my 13 year old garage band grandson the analog A & H GS2800 24 channel desk and a truck load of peripherals that I abandoned 10 years ago.
I have no quarter or argument with anyone that is more comfortable with yesterday's technology: however I do believe it is important to keep an honest perspective centered around the fact that it has little or no relevance to today's dismal music recording business.
Hugh
Old 25th August 2016
t_d
Lives for gear

+LOTS on this.

a studio should be an inspiring place, i think FIRST before even acoustics. and what inspires each artist is different from the next. i love physical gear that i can touch, manipulate and make mistakes on, but i have plenty of colleagues who are 100% happy and inspired to work on a laptop and headphones... and their music is amazing.

great gear doesn't = great results but if you're the type of person who is inspired by hardware and everything that comes with it, and it makes you want to walk into the studio every day and create then it becomes very powerful.

back on topic, yes, i'll be picking up my Box next wednesday! and have just spent an airplane flight to Reykjavik planning out the patch bay(s).

after initially writing off The Box as being not enough for what i need, the more i looked into it the more it seemed to be absolutely perfect.

to each their own! get off gearslutz and go create!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I dunno man there's just something cool about REAL STUFF that works when you turn it on and touch it. This is not a minor point, just look at all the successful studios you can find, they have tons of it, even if they do also use their computer, or whatever else. The value goes beyond simple price points and sonics, tech specs, whatever. To me the appeal is so obvious, that I find it hard to believe that someone could not see the appeal of real studio gear.

I don't feel like the hugest gearhead in the world, but when I boot up the studio to record a new song, I find my self turning on sometimes dozens of pieces of equipment just to get started. And that's just for basic tracking. I guess you (I) really do end up using the stuff. It's not just pretty to look at, but it is also pretty to look at.
Old 25th August 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
Thank you DR Music for your polite request: I have a lot of mics that I have deployed through many years of recording and concert SR including 4 of John Peluso's finest tube offerings. 10 years ago I crossed over to the dark side with an ADL600 to an RME interface for a Logic DAW. I followed up with a UA 4-710d and RME UFX and abandoned logic for a much more intuitive PerSonus Studio One DAW. My intro into digital processing occurred 15 years ago with an Alesis HD24 purchase that has not been turned on for more than 8 years. My first successful recording project was done in 1975, Rounder #44 "The Old Home Place", that won a Grammy. I also ran the console at all of the band's concerts that year with a wide verity of equipment in play. Today my SR gear includes a KV2 ES 10 box system with 3 EX10 wedges. A QU16 with the wedges for small guitar pulls and an S21 with the ES system when we need the channel count. The most important point I can make is the fact that the business of selling packaged recordings is well on the way to it's death. CD's, DVD's and the entire litany of jewell cased optical recordings are gathering dust and mold in the boxes they came in. For this and many other reasons I abandoned multitrack recording 5 years ago for commercial CD production and now use my equipment to produce multitrack audio for video's. Today an artist must stream their work on the various media outlets that are available and look to touring for their revenue stream. I gave my 13 year old garage band grandson the analog A & H GS2800 24 channel desk and a truck load of peripherals that I abandoned 10 years ago.
I have no quarter or argument with anyone that is more comfortable with yesterday's technology: however I do believe it is important to keep an honest perspective centered around the fact that it has little or no relevance to today's dismal music recording business.
Hugh
People here are talking about sound quality, not convenience or money. Many other threads on your topic, you will find yourself at home on those. Congrats on the Grammy
Old 28th August 2016
Old 28th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmelaub View Post
the only other option i have is a used harrison950 console, so im bouncing my head between the two (but leaning highly towards daBOX)
Why?! I mean the Harrison is so much more complete as a console than the Box. Why would you be leaning toward the Box mate? To me it looks like an awkward product and it certainly shouldn't be compared to a complete console like the 950.

As far as personal experience I have a mate who has the Box. In the first year of ownership it was broken twice and had to be unplugged and serviced twice. The Harrison on the other hand is exquisitely built. If you read the 950 user manual they talk about lifetime use and I believe them. As far as build quality they are just light years ahead of their contemporaries at present. Nothing touches it.

And feature wise it's not even a comparison what you get from the Box as oppose to the 950. Lots of pres, great sounding eq's on every channel with sweepable filters (depending on which eq they have two different types), two stereo buss compressors etc etc.

This is before we get to the sound. The Harrison has a lovely tape like sound. The Box sounds mostly transparent. But this area is subjective. Which do you prefer really? I think comparing these two however is waaay off base mate sorry. The Harrison is another world in every sense.
Old 28th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:

the Harrison is nice, but, frankly, i really don't like the look of it. whatsoever. some may consider that a lame reason to not choose a piece of gear, but if i'm going to walk into the studio every day i need to see something that makes me happy.

my other close choice was the XL desk, but i really don't need that many simultaneous channels, and the thought of populating an entire XL desk full of 500 modules is an expensive one.
The aesthetics thing is personal of course but the Harrison looks stunning in the flesh. Moreover kudos to Harrison for having the courage to do something original rather than perpetuating that cliched, tired looking, 70s styling that's dominated the console world. Everyone is trying to do that it seems these days so if you go in that direction you'll at least blend right in.

The XL Desk is a more fair comparison to the 950 than the Box for sure. As for expensive well there is one on ebay fully loaded right now at 26k. I'd much rather go with the XL desk at that price point than the Box at 15k.
Old 28th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
As far as build quality they are just light years ahead of their contemporaries at present. Nothing touches it.
Is that true?? That Harrison is light years away??
Anybody else agree? You could be right, but it just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 28th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why?! I mean the Harrison is so much more complete as a console than the Box. Why would you be leaning toward the Box mate? To me it looks like an awkward product and it certainly shouldn't be compared to a complete console like the 950.

As far as personal experience I have a mate who has the Box. In the first year of ownership it was broken twice and had to be unplugged and serviced twice. The Harrison on the other hand is exquisitely built. If you read the 950 user manual they talk about lifetime use and I believe them. As far as build quality they are just light years ahead of their contemporaries at present. Nothing touches it.

And feature wise it's not even a comparison what you get from the Box as oppose to the 950. Lots of pres, great sounding eq's on every channel with sweepable filters (depending on which eq they have two different types), two stereo buss compressors etc etc.

This is before we get to the sound. The Harrison has a lovely tape like sound. The Box sounds mostly transparent. But this area is subjective. Which do you prefer really? I think comparing these two however is waaay off base mate sorry. The Harrison is another world in every sense.
You kind of come off sounding like a Harrison salesman. The personal experience of your friend is a bit disconcerting, but in general I don't think the Box is awkward at all nor do I find many people who think of API as 'transparent'. Of course API is pretty transparent until you push it a little; and then you get some of that transformer goodness. That's what makes it flexible, and a classic.

Last edited by jsvalmont; 28th August 2016 at 09:11 PM..
Old 28th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
People here are talking about sound quality, not convenience or money. Many other threads on your topic, you will find yourself at home on those. Congrats on the Grammy
I was hoping to hear some very good work to support the statement made about consoles...
There we have it.
Old 28th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont View Post
You kind of come off sounding like a Harrison salesman. The personal experience of your friend is a bit disconcerting, but in general I don't think the Box is awkward at all nor do I find many people who think of API as 'transparent'. Of course API is pretty transparent until you push it a little; and then you get some of that transformer goodness. That's what makes it flexible, and a classic.
Well you know, Harrison consoles company are known the world over for their elaborate sales force. In fact I was meaning to go to buy milk at a local shop today but I couldn't leave me house because a Harrison salesperson was going door to door like the old encyclopedia sales people use to.

And not to mention my post history is replete with examples of me pushing Harrison consoles onto unsuspecting gearslutz.

I think that's a bit unfair on your part though. I didn't rubbish the Box. I told a relevant story out of personal experience and pointed to the sound area being "subjective". In fact I said, and I quote, "this area is subjective". The only bias is the use of the word "lovely" when referring to a tape-like sound of the Harrison.

I'll take the whole "awkward" thing back I suppose. That might be a preference thing I don't know. I still maintain however that the XL desk is a more appropriate comparison to the 950mx.

And that was really the thrust of my point. The Box has two channels loaded. That's it. Even the smallest 950s have EQs on every channel (and filters). How is that a fair comparison?

I won't mention the build quality again except to say I was modest when I said "light years" away. But you should verify this for yourself. Anyone who's thinking about buying one should.
Old 29th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well you know, Harrison consoles company are known the world over for their elaborate sales force. In fact I was meaning to go to buy milk at a local shop today but I couldn't leave me house because a Harrison salesperson was going door to door like the old encyclopedia sales people use to.

And not to mention my post history is replete with examples of me pushing Harrison consoles onto unsuspecting gearslutz.

I think that's a bit unfair on your part though. I didn't rubbish the Box. I told a relevant story out of personal experience and pointed to the sound area being "subjective". In fact I said, and I quote, "this area is subjective". The only bias is the use of the word "lovely" when referring to a tape-like sound of the Harrison.

I'll take the whole "awkward" thing back I suppose. That might be a preference thing I don't know. I still maintain however that the XL desk is a more appropriate comparison to the 950mx.

And that was really the thrust of my point. The Box has two channels loaded. That's it. Even the smallest 950s have EQs on every channel (and filters). How is that a fair comparison?

I won't mention the build quality again except to say I was modest when I said "light years" away. But you should verify this for yourself. Anyone who's thinking about buying one should.
No need to get defensive.
Old 29th August 2016
Gear Addict

I owned a Box for a little over a year. Cool little desk. As my mate says, I had issues to sort out within a couple months but after that it was cool. I did freak out, I expect a certain price range to be as bullet proof as some of my other high end gear. My EQ was misalligned, a bunch of aux buttons weren't working right, and the mix bus wasn`t tracking equally left and right. The first two were fixed at the store and the latter was resolved by detaching and reattaching the mix bus ribbon inside. The other guy who bought one right after me also had to return his to the store twice to get it into proper working order.

If you're looking for mojo, this isn't it. It sounds real good- but it's super clean. Had an X-Desk before it and other than slightly softer edges and a very very (very) subtle low-mid bump, it's not that different. The X-Desk was a little crispy in comparison. That being said, I monitored a session on a Legacy recently and wasn`t impressed. They do sound the same- clean and transparent. So that part of the marketing is true. It's nice.

The pan knobs track a little weird to me (on both consoles). Maybe I don't like API pan laws or something. I also don't like their concentric knobs- I think they are hard to use. You`re always fishing around trying to move the aux pan while not changing your level.

I've not yet worked on the Harrison, but I've heard it few times and it definitely has more 'mojo' if that's what you're looking for.

The best things about the Box for me were:
- The 527 compressor- really nifty for tracking.
- The monitor section was shockingly good. If you have an Avocet lying around, you can sell it with this console.
- It looks cool.
- Balances are easily set with the faders so the static mix feels better, but since you don't have direct outs on the channels it's not like you can print those balances.
- It`s sort of fun to use.
- EQs are nice but since you only have 4 'real' channels it's awkward to use them in a mix- you sort of use them to treat stereo stem or use them as a hardware insert in the DAW.
- The sound is wide open- no constriction or anything.

If you run small recording sessions it`s pretty cool, especially if you have a custom desk for it. If you`re an API guy you'd really enjoy it. Would I buy it again? No.
Old 29th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Reducer View Post
I owned a Box for a little over a year. Cool little desk. As my mate says, I had issues to sort out within a couple months but after that it was cool. I did freak out, I expect a certain price range to be as bullet proof as some of my other high end gear. My EQ was misalligned, a bunch of aux buttons weren't working right, and the mix bus wasn`t tracking equally left and right. The first two were fixed at the store and the latter was resolved by detaching and reattaching the mix bus ribbon inside. The other guy who bought one right after me also had to return his to the store twice to get it into proper working order.

If you're looking for mojo, this isn't it. It sounds real good- but it's super clean. Had an X-Desk before it and other than slightly softer edges and a very very (very) subtle low-mid bump, it's not that different. The X-Desk was a little crispy in comparison. That being said, I monitored a session on a Legacy recently and wasn`t impressed. They do sound the same- clean and transparent. So that part of the marketing is true. It's nice.

The pan knobs track a little weird to me (on both consoles). Maybe I don't like API pan laws or something. I also don't like their concentric knobs- I think they are hard to use. You`re always fishing around trying to move the aux pan while not changing your level.

I've not yet worked on the Harrison, but I've heard it few times and it definitely has more 'mojo' if that's what you're looking for.

The best things about the Box for me were:
- The 527 compressor- really nifty for tracking.
- The monitor section was shockingly good. If you have an Avocet lying around, you can sell it with this console.
- It looks cool.
- Balances are easily set with the faders so the static mix feels better, but since you don't have direct outs on the channels it's not like you can print those balances.
- It`s sort of fun to use.
- EQs are nice but since you only have 4 'real' channels it's awkward to use them in a mix- you sort of use them to treat stereo stem or use them as a hardware insert in the DAW.
- The sound is wide open- no constriction or anything.

If you run small recording sessions it`s pretty cool, especially if you have a custom desk for it. If you`re an API guy you'd really enjoy it. Would I buy it again? No.
Thanks for your thoughts. It's great to hear a first hand opinion. I find the QC issues unnerving. I would expect better from API. Hopefully they have either gotten those issues resolved already or get them resolved ASAP.

I think this is really a mini console for studios/aficionados who dream to have a full API console but either don't ultimately have the need/space/cash for the big guy. And there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 29th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts. It's great to hear a first hand opinion. I find the QC issues unnerving. I would expect better from API. Hopefully they have either gotten those issues resolved already or get them resolved ASAP.

I think this is really a mini console for studios/aficionados who dream to have a full API console but either don't ultimately have the need/space/cash for the big guy. And there is nothing wrong with that.
Well said- I think the price point forced API to offer something that's a little funny in terms of functionality- kind of like 'ok, what's the most affordable console we can build to make peoples` dreams come true while still not watering down the brand.

Yeah I was a little freaked out by the issues. You don't expect that on a new desk past a certain price point. Never had any problems with my 3124 or 2500 but I guess a console has more moving parts. I think it's a bit what my mate was getting at regarding the Harrison- freaking bullet-proof and a little more funtional feature-wise.
Old 29th August 2016
Lives for gear

Couldn't you treat the insert sends in the summing section as direct outs to a DAW and print them individually? I'm not sure I would choose to set it up that way, but isn't it possible at least? Theoretically I could even throw some preamps in there and turn those faders into console channels during tracking. That doesn't really make sense for a lot of reasons, but you could do it!

My biggest question is in regards to a sessions where I'm really worried about recall and having to do multiple tweaks. If I were really concerned about it, could I utilize the sends as direct outs and drive each channel then print it in my DAW? I know it almost defeats the purpose of a summing mixer to print each channel individually and sum them later, I'm just curious. I've seen a lot of people criticize it for not having direct outs, why not just set up a patch bay and use the sends and returns?
Old 29th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
No need to get defensive.
No need to misquote me either, and yet...
Old 29th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Reducer View Post
Well said- I think the price point forced API to offer something that's a little funny in terms of functionality- kind of like 'ok, what's the most affordable console we can build to make peoples` dreams come true while still not watering down the brand.

Yeah I was a little freaked out by the issues. You don't expect that on a new desk past a certain price point. Never had any problems with my 3124 or 2500 but I guess a console has more moving parts. I think it's a bit what my mate was getting at regarding the Harrison- freaking bullet-proof and a little more funtional feature-wise.
I think the functionality is appropriate for the needs of many small studios. My primary beef with the design is the compressor and EQ modules are exactly the footprint of their 500 module versions but they are built in! Whyyyy?! This is primarily a maintenance issue.
Old 29th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
Couldn't you treat the insert sends in the summing section as direct outs to a DAW and print them individually? I'm not sure I would choose to set it up that way, but isn't it possible at least? Theoretically I could even throw some preamps in there and turn those faders into console channels during tracking. That doesn't really make sense for a lot of reasons, but you could do it!

My biggest question is in regards to a sessions where I'm really worried about recall and having to do multiple tweaks. If I were really concerned about it, could I utilize the sends as direct outs and drive each channel then print it in my DAW? I know it almost defeats the purpose of a summing mixer to print each channel individually and sum them later, I'm just curious. I've seen a lot of people criticize it for not having direct outs, why not just set up a patch bay and use the sends and returns?
What you describe is true and could be done. I thought about it as well. But I think in practice it was just too much of a hassle. It means all kinds of patching at the patchbay since my insert sends aren't normalled to my converter inputs, whereas the direct outs could be. Because of this I usually just used the 'fader bypass' button and mixed ITB and tweaked in there. I don't like adding work-arounds to workflow to overcome the console's limitations- it just slows me down and it's kind of aggravating! But yes, what you describe can be done.

You can also make a 'bus' by using aux 3-4 and even though it was cool when I tried it, again, I would usually avoid it in actual use cause it`s a hassle.
Old 16th August 2017
Rea
Lives for gear

Anyone has a thought why in hell there are Insert points in the summing channels?

The only reason i can see an advantage in using an insert instead of sending from the DA straight to the outboard device and then to the channel, is if the channels had preamps that you could adjust the input gain with for gain staging PRE hitting outboard for the preamp tone, but since there is no adjustable active gain preamp on the summing inputs there is zero difference between inserting outboard at an insert point or placing the outboard between the DA and the Summing channel.

Anyone thoughts on this? it looks like an awful waste of money and real estate to build in unnecessary 16 X 2 points...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search