The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
API The box?
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

I don't really understand the concept of the box. How could you record with more than the 4 onboard channels? These are honest questions, not trolling. I'm ITB except for some external preamps. I'm using an Apollo as my interface.

My other question is what does the Box offer that 4 API Channel Strips couldn't give you? If you bought 4 used API channel strips, you'd get 4 eq's and comps at about 8 grand ($usd). The box only provides two of the same eq's and comps for 15 grand.
I know the difference will be something in regards to summing, which I don't really understand, but is that really worth the extra cash? Couldn't one just do stereo sums through two of the channel strips?

Thanks for everyone's help in advance. It's an honest question and I don't quite understand how the box could even be integrated into a studio like mine because I don't understand the routing from my Apollo/daw into API's the box.
Old 22nd May 2016
It has 4 pre's, two API EQ and two extra slots for more API EQ's or other 500 series. You send everything to your DAW and mix in the DAW.

You then route your buses back to the Box and sum through it. You have the faders on the right to control the volume of each bus which is a lot nicer than using a mouse. Not only adding the great sound of API, but you have a great monitoring section and stereo compressor. That is what the Box is designed to do. The Rupert Neve 5060 and Great River Mixmaster are also similar though each had different feature set. For those who cannot afford a 1608 or need a full analog mixer but want the character of API mixer it could be a great choice
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

The reason why The Box makes more sense to me every week is, that I typically use the 1608 with a extender, and the most I'll use at one time is 4 mic pres, most large studios use 2-4 Pres at a time!
Considering that 4 CH strips would cost $10,000.
Plus the Summing section I pretty darn amazing, since you have not used one you won't understand.

I too, didn't under stand the "theory" behind this box, BUT I DO NOW!!!! next on my list THE BOX!
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
I don't really understand the concept of the box. How could you record with more than the 4 onboard channels? These are honest questions, not trolling. I'm ITB except for some external preamps. I'm using an Apollo as my interface.

My other question is what does the Box offer that 4 API Channel Strips couldn't give you? If you bought 4 used API channel strips, you'd get 4 eq's and comps at about 8 grand ($usd). The box only provides two of the same eq's and comps for 15 grand.
I know the difference will be something in regards to summing, which I don't really understand, but is that really worth the extra cash? Couldn't one just do stereo sums through two of the channel strips?

Thanks for everyone's help in advance. It's an honest question and I don't quite understand how the box could even be integrated into a studio like mine because I don't understand the routing from my Apollo/daw into API's the box.
I've used 2 Apollo BLA modded units and The Box. AMAZING! but I hope everyone keeps on thinking this is not worth it...
I get a fantastic mix everytime
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
It has 4 pre's, two API EQ and two extra slots for more API EQ's or other 500 series. You send everything to your DAW and mix in the DAW.

You then route your buses back to the Box and sum through it. You have the faders on the right to control the volume of each bus which is a lot nicer than using a mouse. Not only adding the great sound of API, but you have a great monitoring section and stereo compressor. That is what the Box is designed to do. The Rupert Neve 5060 and Great River Mixmaster are also similar though each had different feature set. For those who cannot afford a 1608 or need a full analog mixer but want the character of API mixer it could be a great choice
Exactly
Old 23rd May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
Exactly
I loved my API the box so much I upgraded to the 1608,needed more flexibility when recording a band but the API the Box will give you stellar results jz
Old 23rd May 2016
Lives for gear

I think I have a better idea. Let's see if I got it:
Let's say we are recording a 3 piece with 10 mics. I would just use the 4 pres on the box as external pres going into my Apollo.
After recording, I'd mix ITB then route buses into the box, through its eq and comp, then back into my Apollo, correct?

So, would I route each recorded track to its own mono bus output (unless it's a stereo track) and have that go into The Box to be summed back into my Apollo?

Sorry for the newb question. Should this question be in another forum?

Thanks. I just dig the API sound from my A2D and plugins and I'm wondering if the box is what I should be aspiring toward as a "pro" home studio. Thanks again
Old 23rd May 2016
Gear Maniac

The Apollo only has 8 outputs ,the API the box can sum 20 inputs ,which would mean you could only bring back either 8 mono or 4 stereo stems to the console .therefore you would be better of with Apollo 16 which has 16 in and out on Dsub conectors so the outputs of the Apollo would go to the 16 sum ins on the API ,and if you went crazy you could use two external 8 channel mic pres and have a total of 20 mic pres
Old 23rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz View Post
The Apollo only has 8 outputs ,the API the box can sum 20 inputs ,which would mean you could only bring back either 8 mono or 4 stereo stems to the console .therefore you would be better of with Apollo 16 which has 16 in and out on Dsub conectors so the outputs of the Apollo would go to the 16 sum ins on the API ,and if you went crazy you could use two external 8 channel mic pres and have a total of 20 mic pres
Thanks For clearing that up. I guess I'm a long way away from this kind of setup as I just went to my Apollo last year. Here's to GAS and dreaming......
Old 18th August 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz View Post
I loved my API the box so much I upgraded to the 1608,needed more flexibility when recording a band but the API the Box will give you stellar results jz
I heavily leaning towards buying The Box. How do you feel the sound of The Box compares to the 1608 from a mixdown perspective? Is The Box on par with the 1608 as far as vibe, mojo, pushing to harmonic distortion, etc.?
Old 18th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bottle View Post
I heavily leaning towards buying The Box. How do you feel the sound of The Box compares to the 1608 from a mixdown perspective? Is The Box on par with the 1608 as far as vibe, mojo, pushing to harmonic distortion, etc.?
Both will give great results,really comes down to your needs and budget,as far as mojo the first mix I did on the 1608 did blow me away,very punchy,must be all those transformers and api eq
Old 18th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
How do you feel the sound of The Box compares to the 1608 from a mixdown perspective? Is The Box on par with the 1608 as far as vibe, mojo, pushing to harmonic distortion, etc.?
Someone with a less biased opinion can comment on the vibe and the mojo, (we think it exudes vibe and is dripping with mojo) BUT from a design standpoint - the circuitry of the center section/summing part of The Box, the 1608 and a Legacy Plus are identical. Mixes created on The Box and the 1608 have no reason to sound any different.
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Box sounds and feels fantastic.

Do not hesitate to buy it if it has the feature set you are looking for because the sound is on par with any classic console I have used. Loads of headroom, big wide sounding stereo image and a large, tight low end.

I moved to The Box from a Neve 54 series desk about 2 months ago and sonically it is every bit as good if not better.

The feature set was perfect for my setup and I could not be happier.

Endorsed!
Old 18th August 2016
is there anyway to upgrade the box to flying faders?
Old 18th August 2016
Gear Maniac

There is not. The 1608 automation system does not fit in The Box.
Old 18th August 2016
thats a bummer..anytime soon? or at least a 3rd party that does it?
Old 18th August 2016
Gear Maniac

It might be true that the box creates some of the warmth of the API Legacy that's part of its DNA and that it offers certain flexibility for the ones of us who are in the Box and want to retain some of the magic of analog consoles; but to me the price in comparison to some of the quality used gear available on eBay (even though there might be some maintenance risks and higher electricity bill) makes it a less tempting offer to me.

The compact form Factor is a plus as well as the lunch box expandability; but there are compact Top notch quality Studer consoles out there that should provide as much "Mojo" at a better price point( I am aware of its EQ limitations).

I am waiting for the day when hardware console manufacturers innovate together with software coders; and offer us sonic possibilities; previously thought unimaginable.

I know that it's technically possible; so I am assuming that the reason console manufacturers are not jumping on that bandwagon is because it would cut into their profit margins; which will happen anyway now that software choices are improving exponentially and will only get better.

I am impressed with the result you can get nowadays in the box; but find that I have to work harder and longer in order to get the results that I'm looking for; so please Hardware manufacturers don't be afraid of innovating because that could be detrimental to your bottom line.

Sincerely,

Useg Diaz-Granados
www.oversightentertainment.se
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... View Post
Someone with a less biased opinion can comment on the vibe and the mojo, (we think it exudes vibe and is dripping with mojo) BUT from a design standpoint - the circuitry of the center section/summing part of The Box, the 1608 and a Legacy Plus are identical. Mixes created on The Box and the 1608 have no reason to sound any different.
Yes but when you do a mix down, on a 1608 does it not go thru the both input and output transformers, or at least the the output tranny? There are no Transformers on the summing section. So there HAS to be a difference in sound....!?!?!?
Old 18th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
Yes but when you do a mix down, on a 1608 does it not go thru the both input and output transformers, or at least the the output tranny? There are no Transformers on the summing section. So there HAS to be a difference in sound....!?!?!?
When you do a mixdown on a 1608, and we would assume a line level signal coming back from the DAW, the signal doesn't go through the input transformer - only the output transformer in the summing section. The output transformers actually live on the summing modules.

In The Box there absolutely are output transformers, they just don't live on the summing modules, but are bolted to the belly of the console. If there were no output transformer we wouldn't claim the two consoles have the same sonic character. They use the same 2520 and the same output transformer in the mix path.

Hope this helps to clarify.
Old 19th August 2016
t_d
Lives for gear

does The Box have transformers on the summing INPUT Channels?

Last edited by t_d; 20th August 2016 at 12:02 PM..
Old 19th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
does The Bos have transformers on the summing INPUT Channels?
No
Old 20th August 2016
t_d
Lives for gear

does The Box have an internal or external power supply? is there a fan inside it?
Old 20th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
does The Box have an internal or external power supply? is there a fan inside it?

Just looking at a picture, it has an IEC so it's internal. I have no idea if there's a fan in there or not.
Old 21st August 2016
Lives for gear

A digico S21 will do much much more at a fraction of the price.
"A fool and their gold are soon parted"
Hugh
Old 21st August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
does The Box have transformers on the summing INPUT Channels?
I don't believe the line inputs on a 1608 have input transformers either.
Old 22nd August 2016
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
Hugh
Personally, I have no interest in a digico S21and I doubt I am alone in that!
As well, a fool I am not!
Your opinion is not equal to all others!
Engineers looking at this type of analog gear are looking for the quality and type of sound signature this type of gear offers.

Now if the digico S21 offered all discreet transformer coupled line and or pre that might be a different story. But as fir another piece of digital gear with IC pres just count me out!
Old 22nd August 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
Personally, I have no interest in a digico S21and I doubt I am alone in that!
You are not alone
Old 22nd August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
Hugh
What an odd suggestion. "You're considering a 1958 Corvette? A Prius will do much more at a fraction of the price." Nothing wrong with either, but the only similarity is that they are both cars...
Old 22nd August 2016
My next purchase in most likely the box, so i"m biased...lets go api!!!
Old 22nd August 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmelaub View Post
My next purchase in most likely the box, so i"m biased...lets go api!!!
You will not be disappointed it is a very versatile a great sounding board.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search