The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
API The box?
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
When I was thinking of buying the Box at the beginning of the year, I was planning on saving up over the next year to grab the flock system. I've just come to hate patch bays, and this seemed like the best/most versatile way to do it that would be fairly future proof. Even if it's not quite enough I/O for you, it would be pretty easy to buy a small analog patch bay to hook some outboard gear to and integrate it along side the patch.

Not to mention how quick recall's would be between tracking and mixing sessions, or even hybrid ones where the mix is pretty much done and you need to go back and do some overdubs. It would be a little trickier drafting that out with a normal patchbay, but the digital recall would get rid of a lot of headaches! The flock system could also help make up for a lot of the limited routing and aux issues that The Box has.

Any way, ya. It seemed like a good pairing to me when I was going to buy The Box!
Very good tips. Thank you. Did you end up buying a console other than the Box?
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Very good tips. Thank you. Did you end up buying a console other than the Box?
No, ended up just not getting a console at all. I still love the box (especially the new 8 channel one) and at some point, I'm sure I'll end up getting it. There aren't any other options right now that look more appealing if that's what you were wondering.
Old 24th August 2019
Here for the gear
Hello, I bought one of the first units and I have been with her since March approximately.
I can say that it is one of the best purchases I have made, and it has become the center of my outboard and the heart of my studio.
Previously I had a Sigma SSL and I really like the character that the Api imparts in the sum, in my opinion it is at the ideal point of giving color without compromising the sound.
The preamp are fantastic, the inserts give me the flexibility I need for tracking and hybrid mixing.
The monitor section is stellar, and the 527 are fantastic.
No one has asked me again ... what console do you have?
I also have 8 500 Series free slots to put what you need. Next week I will send photos.
regards
Old 25th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaulR View Post
Hello, I bought one of the first units and I have been with her since March approximately.
I can say that it is one of the best purchases I have made, and it has become the center of my outboard and the heart of my studio.
Previously I had a Sigma SSL and I really like the character that the Api imparts in the sum, in my opinion it is at the ideal point of giving color without compromising the sound.
The preamp are fantastic, the inserts give me the flexibility I need for tracking and hybrid mixing.
The monitor section is stellar, and the 527 are fantastic.
No one has asked me again ... what console do you have?
I also have 8 500 Series free slots to put what you need. Next week I will send photos.
regards
Awesome. Congrats. Have you tried pushing the preamps or mix bus? How does it overdrive?
Old 25th August 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Awesome. Congrats. Have you tried pushing the preamps or mix bus? How does it overdrive?
Hello, the sound when pushing the sum channels is very musical, with a natural glue and without losing the transients. I have not tried yet to use the 8 preamp channels as summation channels.
Old 25th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaulR View Post
Hello, the sound when pushing the sum channels is very musical, with a natural glue and without losing the transients.
Yummy
Old 25th August 2019
Lives for gear

This is where dsub patch’s rule.

Not overly expensive to put together and also no soldering!! Buy patchCAD for labelling and you’re good.

Did mine in an hour.. job done !
Old 26th August 2019
Hello, the 8 channel is very interesting unit. Using the first 8 channels for mixdown (and inserts with the summing channels if you have more EQs...) seems the way to go for an API sound. Glad the unit imparts that color and punch.

Question, could you use it in a "mixing-while-recording" workflow?
Recording synth lines in channels 1-4 while you are mixing the rest of the tracks at the same time (example 4 drum tracks in channels 5-8, other channels routed to the summing inputs, etc.) or is the monitor routing a little more complicated in the unit? you would be monitoring straight from the mixer since the DAW is routing all tracks to the specific console channels, correct?

If you would like to listen to the DAW master out, you can connect it to the 2-track DB25 inputs, and select in the CR monitor section the input it is coming through?

best,
Eddie
Old 26th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by entresolmusic View Post
Hello, the 8 channel is very interesting unit. Using the first 8 channels for mixdown (and inserts with the summing channels if you have more EQs...) seems the way to go for an API sound. Glad the unit imparts that color and punch.

Question, could you use it in a "mixing-while-recording" workflow?
Recording synth lines in channels 1-4 while you are mixing the rest of the tracks at the same time (example 4 drum tracks in channels 5-8, other channels routed to the summing inputs, etc.) or is the monitor routing a little more complicated in the unit? you would be monitoring straight from the mixer since the DAW is routing all tracks to the specific console channels, correct?

If you would like to listen to the DAW master out, you can connect it to the 2-track DB25 inputs, and select in the CR monitor section the input it is coming through?

best,
Eddie
Are you asking if you can listen to your main mix (2 track out) while recording other parts on top or into that main mix? A way to hear your playback but not record it so you don't create a loop of the main mix going into the master program bus?
Old 26th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you asking if you can listen to your main mix (2 track out) while recording other parts on top or into that main mix? A way to hear your playback but not record it so you don't create a loop of the main mix going into the master program bus?
I was confused as well, not sure what's being asked. I can't remember what it's called, but there's a stereo input on the back that goes right into the master buss and was intended as a way to insert another console or summing mixer into the board. That could be utilized somehow.
Old 26th August 2019
Quote:
Yes, correct. mixing the various already recorded tracks in the console by routing them properly from the DAW, and if you want to record another line, you can use a track and record while the others are still playing in their independent channel.

I like to mix (roughly) while I am recording/composing and was looking to see how this would translate to the console (the Box in this case). I might have answer my question, in that the proper routing will have to happen in the DAW for it to work properly.

Either way, 8 EQ channels (+ a couple of more if you want them in the summing as well) will set you back almost the same price as the console itself, hehe...
a lovely unit indeed.

Eddie
Old 27th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was confused as well, not sure what's being asked. I can't remember what it's called, but there's a stereo input on the back that goes right into the master buss and was intended as a way to insert another console or summing mixer into the board. That could be utilized somehow.
PGM Sum In
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ok I'm a bit stumped......... I'm attempting to use the aux send for some outboard efx and I can route from the Aux Outputs DB25 to the outboard efx unit, but where do I bring the outboard efx back into the Box?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you want level control after the fx (you probably do) you need to return those fx outputs to summing inputs, or the first few channel line inputs. You could potentially use the PGM sum inputs coming out of the fx unit, but that's not really what those inputs are intended to do.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark714 View Post
If you want level control after the fx (you probably do) you need to return those fx outputs to summing inputs, or the first few channel line inputs. You could potentially use the PGM sum inputs coming out of the fx unit, but that's not really what those inputs are intended to do.
Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Anyone else find it odd that The Box has dedicated Aux sends but not Aux returns, lol.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Anyone else find it odd that The Box has dedicated Aux sends but not Aux returns, lol.
Those are there to send to your OTHER console. Don't you have two consoles like the rest of us?

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Cost saving design. It is inconvenient, but there are ways around it. Even a small janky old mixer can work for fx returns to preserve inputs. The 1608 (with more sends/returns) is about 22k more (unloaded), so that's the trade-off.

After being under the hood (literally) for a 2520 swap, I think they should sell expanders. It wouldn't be that difficult.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
After being under the hood (literally) for a 2520 swap, I think they should sell expanders. It wouldn't be that difficult.
I was kind of surprised that they came out with a larger version of The Box. I expected some sort of expander, thinking it made more sense.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

API 8200a is a good expander or a 1RU speck rack unit
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Those are there to send to your OTHER console. Don't you have two consoles like the rest of us?

Nope, lol....... looks like it's time to add an SSL Six to my studio.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=mark714;14241671] I think they should sell expanders. It wouldn't be that difficult.[

might leave the door open for another manufacturer...a Daking expander ??
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope, lol....... looks like it's time to add an SSL Six to my studio.
That's the spirit!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

For all of you The Box users (or anyone else summing otb along with using hardware EQ and compression once otb)....are you using itb send effects (e.g. delays and reverbs) and do you then send the fx channels out on a stereo stem? Does this effectively mean you are adding hardware EQ and compression on individual tracks/stems otb post the itb fx sends, and is this working for you? Or, do you find yourself using hardware fx so that you can send to those in the analog domain AFTER having applied hardware EQ and compression?

Appreciate any insights you can share!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleipnir View Post
For all of you The Box users (or anyone else summing otb along with using hardware EQ and compression once otb)....are you using itb send effects (e.g. delays and reverbs) and do you then send the fx channels out on a stereo stem? Does this effectively mean you are adding hardware EQ and compression on individual tracks/stems otb post the itb fx sends, and is this working for you? Or, do you find yourself using hardware fx so that you can send to those in the analog domain AFTER having applied hardware EQ and compression?

Appreciate any insights you can share!
It's both software and hardware efx, EQ, and compression in my case, a true hybrid setup all way.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
It's both software and hardware efx, EQ, and compression in my case, a true hybrid setup all way.
Thanks Will. So do you typically use itb send fx on anything that will not have further analog processing once otb, or do you indeed also use itb send fx on individual tracks/stems that do get EQ/compression applied otb?

I'm really interested in The Box, but I am trying to figure out if I realistically would need to invest in hardware effects processors in order to get the most out of it. I would prefer not to, from a pure financial perspective.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleipnir View Post
Thanks Will. So do you typically use itb send fx on anything that will not have further analog processing once otb, or do you indeed also use itb send fx on individual tracks/stems that do get EQ/compression applied otb?

I'm really interested in The Box, but I am trying to figure out if I realistically would need to invest in hardware effects processors in order to get the most out of it. I would prefer not to, from a pure financial perspective.
Again, I use a combination of both. You can go all ITB and just use The box for summing or stack The Box with a bunch of hardware on the inserts..... Th Box can bend to how you want it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Depending on the style of music, two mono and one stereo send may not be enough, so you're likely to have some ITB stuff happening anyway.

I use analog sends to go to Apollo's for the UAD reverbs and delays. It makes the UAD plugs feel very much like hardware since they are accessible from the API directly. I don't have to stare at the screen or mouse around to tweak levels on them once I get a patch I want. It's also very nice to just have the verbs/delays available during tracking on a few faders. When I'm tracking or writing they generally get returned to a submixer or to summing channel inputs. It makes the whole process much more enjoyable and transparent.

I have some outboard delays I find kind of special, so I still have them - but the Apollo solution is amazing in this application. I'd recommend going that route with any console.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Interesting... are those Apollos on a second computer just running an open instance of Console? Curious about that. Appreciate any info, sounds like a promising setup.....

Quote:
Depending on the style of music, two mono and one stereo send may not be enough, so you're likely to have some ITB stuff happening anyway.

I use analog sends to go to Apollo's for the UAD reverbs and delays. It makes the UAD plugs feel very much like hardware since they are accessible from the API directly. I don't have to stare at the screen or mouse around to tweak levels on them once I get a patch I want. It's also very nice to just have the verbs/delays available during tracking on a few faders. When I'm tracking or writing they generally get returned to a submixer or to summing channel inputs. It makes the whole process much more enjoyable and transparent.

I have some outboard delays I find kind of special, so I still have them - but the Apollo solution is amazing in this application. I'd recommend going that route with any console.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Nothing that fancy... I have three Apollo 8's doing most of my I/O, and one of them handles all the fx. As a hack/stand-alone fx solution, a rack Apollo is a good option, even if it isn't your main interface.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Good point. I think, if I interpreted the manual correctly, you can use Aux 3/4 on some channels to send to one stereo effects unit and then use the stereo Cue send on other channels to send to a different stereo effects unit, but of course not to both from the same channel.

Ideally, I would prefer not to have to buy any external effects processors as the The Box and some more 500 series modules will cost enough as it is :-) I still cannot seem to grasp how exactly the ITB send effects approach works, though, if you also want to take advantage of using the inserts on The Box to add EQ and/or compression after you come out of the D/A converter. If you for example send/group your drum tracks to a drum bus in the software and then stem this out to the box for some EQ and compression, how would you add some reverb itb? If you do an itb send to reverb prior to stemming out, do you risk that the reverb ends up sounding weird as the EQ and compression happen after the fact?

Quote:
Nothing that fancy... I have three Apollo 8's doing most of my I/O, and one of them handles all the fx. As a hack/stand-alone fx solution, a rack Apollo is a good option, even if it isn't your main interface.
That sounds like a neat setup. I have an Orion 32+ Gen3 which does have a built in reverb, and although it can be used during mixdown, you can only have one instance of it...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search