The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
API The box?
Old 19th February 2019
Here for the gear

As an FYI, I asked about The Box 2 at Musicmesse in Frankfurt (to go and have look) and they sent me a private email saying they will sell the demo unit for 13k euros.
Unfortunately can’t afford it anytime soon, but maybe the info’s useful to someone..
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Hey folks, who's swapped different opamps in their Box? What did you switch to, why, and how were your results?
Old 16th April 2019
anyone know where to get replacement backlit push in buttons, a few went out on the box as i had a short
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmelaub View Post
anyone know where to get replacement backlit push in buttons, a few went out on the box as i had a short
API support has always been excellent at responding to situations like this.
Old 17th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithUsInHatred View Post
API support has always been excellent at responding to situations like this.
thats exactly what i did and there awesome at responding! Thanks
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quick question..... is there an easy way to route the 550 EQ into the master section to EQ the 2 bus?
Old 18th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Quick question..... is there an easy way to route the 550 EQ into the master section to EQ the 2 bus?
Not exactly, and not without losing the first two inputs (unless maaybe you do some extra special routing using the dsub below the four channels to get pre1,2 out into ins ret 1,2 ? Not sure).

You'd have to patch from the pgm out into the line in on ch1,2 and then use the eq out/ins send on those channels back to pgm insert return. Make sure to not route those two channels to the pgm bus otherwise your control room blows up! And of course this way you're getting an extra 325 line driver circuit before the 550, whether you want it or not.

Not sure I helped or merely said what was obvious.
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Ya, I always wondered why they didn't just have a button to patch the EQ's into the master like they did vise versa on the compressor.
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Anyone got flight time on the box 2 yet?
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Anyone got flight time on the box 2 yet?
Yes, what do you want to know?

It doesn't have 550's built in but the 500 slots can be patched anywhere. It's pretty badass.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithUsInHatred View Post
Not exactly, and not without losing the first two inputs (unless maaybe you do some extra special routing using the dsub below the four channels to get pre1,2 out into ins ret 1,2 ? Not sure).

You'd have to patch from the pgm out into the line in on ch1,2 and then use the eq out/ins send on those channels back to pgm insert return. Make sure to not route those two channels to the pgm bus otherwise your control room blows up! And of course this way you're getting an extra 325 line driver circuit before the 550, whether you want it or not.

Not sure I helped or merely said what was obvious.
Thanks, I had thought about that routing setup and was hoping I just missed an easier way to use the EQ's on the 2 bus. What about routing the 2 bus PGM insert to channels 1 & 2 and back?

If not I'll have to find a quality 2 bus EQ then.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Ok I did it..... you go from the 2 bus PGM insert to channels 1 & 2, then out the the 1 & 2 inserts back into the 2 bus insert returns and it works (just make sure you take channels 1 & 2 out of the PGM). It really would have been nice to have a button that did that without sacrificing those two channels like the compressor, but at least there is a workaround.

I'm more and more impressed with The Box the longer I have it, it packs a lot of forward thinking functionality into a small space. I've been looking to maybe grab The Box 2 but I'm not sure if it's worth the cost and effort to do it.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark714 View Post

It doesn't have 550's built in but the 500 slots can be patched anywhere. It's pretty badass.
How’s it sound sonically when you have it maxed out?

Different from ver 1?

How patchable are the 527’s?
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

[/QUOTE]

How’s it sound sonically when you have it maxed out?

Different from ver 1?

How patchable are the 527’s?[/QUOTE]

I'd call it "solid" sounding. Soundstage feels extended in all directions, I haven't gotten it to crumble, nor have I tried. I wanted a hub with tactile features, where I can have things pre-wired and just ready to go. I still have a Sigma that I may integrate, because that thing is also badass.

527 patching is identical to v1. I find myself using them because it is just so easy to push a button, but they have less of a sound than a 2500- likely due to no xfmr i/o. I like the 527's, but I do not consider them 2500 replacements. Fortunately, I have a 2500 which I like on a acgtr, drums, and vocals. Variable link is where it's at.
Old 22nd June 2019
It would nice to have a 529 in The Box instead of the 527's due to the extra flexibility it has for 2 bus duties.
From Sound on Sound
"Instead of the 527’s single -3dB per octave high-pass filter acting below 1kHz, the 529 offers two of the 2500’s Thrust options. The first is loud Thrust, which (as Hugh describes it) applies a +3dB per octave equalisation slope from below 20Hz to above 20kHz, so that each octave across the audio frequency spectrum finishes up containing the same amount of spectral energy. This +3dB per octave slope, in relative terms, reduces the effect on the VCAs’ control signal of the high-energy bass frequencies, and increases the effect of lower-energy high frequencies, to produce a sound generally perceived as having a strong mid-range, a dynamically balanced high end, and plenty of punch in the bass. In the case of medium Thrust, the same EQ slope acts below 200Hz and above 3kHz, leaving the mid-range flat between those two corner frequencies."

The 529 also has auto make up gain which the 527 lacks.
Old 22nd June 2019
Lives for gear

Well, one could easily put a 529 in two of the 500 slots and leave that permanently patched to the 2buss without losing any channels. I'd sooner use an external 500 rack, but it's possible.

I don't think the 527's are a reason to buy the Box. I look at them as free compressors that are very easy/fast to drop in, and they can do the job on lots of different sources. I think they visually mess with the aesthetic a little, but after being in front of this mixer for a while, I am glad they are there.
Old 22nd June 2019
Lives for gear

I always saw the 527's as an advantage as they are cleaner and less aggressive than the 2500, more of a problem solver than a sounds "shaper" I guess. And honestly, after just buying the UAD 2500 and having the "mix" option, i doubt I'll ever buy a hardware 2500. The UAD plug sounds pretty damn good, and I've done all sorts of cool things with it that I could never do with the hardware. I think having the hardware 527's on the Box console with the UAD plugin would work out really well. "Horses for courses" they say around here I guess....
Old 23rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
I always saw the 527's as an advantage as they are cleaner and less aggressive than the 2500, more of a problem solver than a sounds "shaper" I guess. And honestly, after just buying the UAD 2500 and having the "mix" option, i doubt I'll ever buy a hardware 2500. The UAD plug sounds pretty damn good, and I've done all sorts of cool things with it that I could never do with the hardware. I think having the hardware 527's on the Box console with the UAD plugin would work out really well. "Horses for courses" they say around here I guess....
Have you seen that youtube video (I believe was mixbus tv) comparing the 2500 plug with the hw?
The difference between the two was quite substancial..
plugs still have a long way, although some of them works great and do some stuff that doesn't even exist in hw world..
But compression (especially 2bus) is not one of them.

Cheu
Old 24th June 2019
Lives for gear

I'm looking at a headphone upgrade, anyone know the output impedance of the headphone amp in The Box?
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Head

@ wiggy

I received the Box 8 on July 1st.
I had all the cables wired up from the partchbay so it was literally plug n play.
I also use an SSL 48 channel line mixer patched into the PGM Sum In which is really killer - 72 I/O.
Pro Tools HD Native has a max of 64 I/O so I use the last 8 channels on the Box 8 for parallel fun.
The latency issues are all addressed now too - since I don't go back to PT until printing.

I am really happy with the Box 8. Glad to be back on a console.
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:

dude, you always have the good stuff. haha.

hey man, j christopher hughes here.

new account. been out of the game a bit. good to see you here.

love to catch up sometime.

cheers man.
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Maniac
this new version of the box sounds too good to be true.

it's exactly what i've always wanted, i just wanted it to be a daking. haha.

i'm slowly getting back into the production game after a near decade illness.

this thing would be the perfect hub for a small tracking and mixing studio.

gotta do some more investigating. it looks really cool.
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestifer View Post
dude, you always have the good stuff. haha.

hey man, j christopher hughes here.

new account. been out of the game a bit. good to see you here.

love to catch up sometime.

cheers man.
Hey man!! Check your PM's!
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Can you patch in the 500 series on channels 1-8 on mixdown? If you have the dedicated summing Dsubs coming from your converters, how do you access those 500 series slots? Is a patchbay required?

How’s the footprint? Do you have it on a table or did you get custom furniture?
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

The 500 slots are (by default) in the signal path on ch 1-8. You can use them on mic inputs or line inputs, just by engaging the 500 module itself.

Channels 1-8 have 500 slot I/O 1/4" jacks that could be patched anywhere in (or out) of the console. Patchbay is not necessary, but I'd recommend it.

Footprint is great. It's a little less than three feet wide, so it is big enough that it doesn't feel like a toy but small enough to be moved around. Mine is in a modified Argosy that used to house an 02R or PM2000, I forget. It works surprisingly well. However, I would suggest getting a custom desk to fit your flow and gear.

I wish it had 2-3 more busses. I wonder how hard it would be to modify the channels with buss select and add some of Steiger's ACA cards...
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The 500 slots are (by default) in the signal path on ch 1-8. You can use them on mic inputs or line inputs, just by engaging the 500 module itself.

Channels 1-8 have 500 slot I/O 1/4" jacks that could be patched anywhere in (or out) of the console. Patchbay is not necessary, but I'd recommend it.

Footprint is great. It's a little less than three feet wide, so it is big enough that it doesn't feel like a toy but small enough to be moved around. Mine is in a modified Argosy that used to house an 02R or PM2000, I forget. It works surprisingly well. However, I would suggest getting a custom desk to fit your flow and gear.

I wish it had 2-3 more busses. I wonder how hard it would be to modify the channels with buss select and add some of Steiger's ACA cards...
Thanks for the info. So if you don’t already have a patchbay and have no time to build one (like me) you add $4k for a patchbay (proaudiola) and $2k for a desk. All in $22k for the system.

D
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

I'm skipping a full bay for now, I don't change things up that much. Cables and furniture aren't fun purchases, but that's a gift you give yourself to save future headaches.

I have select outboard on dedicated inserts on the API, and can change the routing in the DAW instead. It is limiting if you want to cascade outboard, but it works for me.

Check out the Redco patchbays, you could likely do it under $4K if you had to.
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

Or check out something like the Flock Audio patch system. Probably enough patch points in there and you can save some money.
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
Or check out something like the Flock Audio patch system. Probably enough patch points in there and you can save some money.
Oh wow. That looks amazing.
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Oh wow. That looks amazing.
When I was thinking of buying the Box at the beginning of the year, I was planning on saving up over the next year to grab the flock system. I've just come to hate patch bays, and this seemed like the best/most versatile way to do it that would be fairly future proof. Even if it's not quite enough I/O for you, it would be pretty easy to buy a small analog patch bay to hook some outboard gear to and integrate it along side the patch.

Not to mention how quick recall's would be between tracking and mixing sessions, or even hybrid ones where the mix is pretty much done and you need to go back and do some overdubs. It would be a little trickier drafting that out with a normal patchbay, but the digital recall would get rid of a lot of headaches! The flock system could also help make up for a lot of the limited routing and aux issues that The Box has.

Any way, ya. It seemed like a good pairing to me when I was going to buy The Box!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search