The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
API The box?
Old 10th February 2019
  #511
Gear Nut
 

I kinda like the name "the box"
Old 10th February 2019
  #512
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Even with a 15% discount at some point you still have to buy furniture - a stand for it that will easily be $3k. That’s why I hate changing anything in my studio. It’s all the little things that add up.
That's the stuff no one thinks about. I have an open back rack right near my seat position and I always stand up and reach behind it and just patch everything manually with short xlr cables. I have a ton of 1-3' ones. Takes seconds, really.

A buddy of mine was like, "You really should get a patch bay for all your equipment. I was like, "A professional patchbay like a switchcraft is almost $1000. Then I need a slew of really well made TT cables, because you don't buy a thousand dollar patchbay to use hosa. The DB25 cables I need to attach all the gear I have easily is going to run another $1000, at least. By the time the dust settles, I've laid out probably close to $2500 just so I don't have to get out of my chair and attach cables in the back."

You have to run ALL the numbers before you do anything because it's amazing how much the stuff you don't consider, adds up.
Old 10th February 2019
  #513
Lives for gear
 
andersmv's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
That's the stuff no one thinks about. I have an open back rack right near my seat position and I always stand up and reach behind it and just patch everything manually with short xlr cables. I have a ton of 1-3' ones. Takes seconds, really.

A buddy of mine was like, "You really should get a patch bay for all your equipment. I was like, "A professional patchbay like a switchcraft is almost $1000. Then I need a slew of really well made TT cables, because you don't buy a thousand dollar patchbay to use hosa. The DB25 cables I need to attach all the gear I have easily is going to run another $1000, at least. By the time the dust settles, I've laid out probably close to $2500 just so I don't have to get out of my chair and attach cables in the back."

You have to run ALL the numbers before you do anything because it's amazing how much the stuff you don't consider, adds up.
Yup. This is why i just don't think I can swing it right at $16k, unfortunately... It's a great update though!
Old 10th February 2019
  #514
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
That's the stuff no one thinks about. I have an open back rack right near my seat position and I always stand up and reach behind it and just patch everything manually with short xlr cables. I have a ton of 1-3' ones. Takes seconds, really.

A buddy of mine was like, "You really should get a patch bay for all your equipment. I was like, "A professional patchbay like a switchcraft is almost $1000. Then I need a slew of really well made TT cables, because you don't buy a thousand dollar patchbay to use hosa. The DB25 cables I need to attach all the gear I have easily is going to run another $1000, at least. By the time the dust settles, I've laid out probably close to $2500 just so I don't have to get out of my chair and attach cables in the back."

You have to run ALL the numbers before you do anything because it's amazing how much the stuff you don't consider, adds up.
This weekend I was packing up my studio for storage and thinking “I must have spent $1 million dollars on cables
Old 10th February 2019
  #515
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
Yup. This is why i just don't think I can swing it right at $16k, unfortunately... It's a great update though!
My guess is towards the end of the year you will get the 15% off. It’s a hot new product right now. Worth waiting for since hopefully you can use it for the next 10 years.
Old 11th February 2019
  #516
Lives for gear
 
andersmv's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
My guess is towards the end of the year you will get the 15% off. It’s a hot new product right now. Worth waiting for since hopefully you can use it for the next 10 years.
I really doubt it. You could grab the V1 for around $12,700 new. If I remember correctly, when the V1 was first announced, it was listed at like $18k and was just WAY too much. Then they lowered list to $15k and pretty much anyone would give you the 15% off of that if you asked and had a good relationship with the dealer. API's already been through the gauntlet and finally settled on the price, I think with the added channels it's priced right at 16k.

As much as I would like to take a chance and order towards the end of the year, my decision to wait until summer was already been felt and inconvenient. We'll see what happens, but I don't see anyone going down on the price at this point. I think API finally got the price to feature ratio normalized at this point.
Old 11th February 2019
  #517
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

I’m jonesing for box2 very much.

Seriously considering selling some gems I’m no longer using.

Wiggy
Old 11th February 2019
  #518
Lives for gear
 

Wiggy API slut?
Old 11th February 2019
  #519
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
Wiggy API slut?
I’m scared it might be the truth!

I’ll have to give it a thorough spin if I’m gona change my handle!
Old 12th February 2019
  #520
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
I’m jonesing for box2 very much.
Me too....I can't come close to afford it but I keep reading these threads and looking at the API site and Sweetwater, etc....If those sites were the glossy brochures I used to get in the late 80's, the gloss would be starting to wear off by now....It really gets bad when I listen to the couple demos on youtube people posted with audio going through the box - Definition, Depth, Punch, Space, such a nice sounding top end!.....UURGH!....I'd rather have this and the new Chandler TG mic than UA/Slate emu fest with a million options in the virtual world...But yeah, the jonesing is so bad, it reminds me of when I was 20 and got my first loan for a $3000 original ADAT....moon
Old 12th February 2019
  #521
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Yes indeed moon!!

I’ll be putting up some nice pieces of outboard that I’ve not been using much recently and see where I get to.

Anyone for a GML eq?
Old 12th February 2019
  #522
Lives for gear
 
127Riot's Avatar
 

Api V-3

Here’s my new photoshop design. The api V-3, it’s not available yet but I’m hoping soon.
Attached Thumbnails
API The box?-b4342f37-7b5e-4cd7-97da-425ca4939d36.jpg  
Old 12th February 2019
  #523
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post
Here’s my new photoshop design. The api V-3, it’s not available yet but I’m hoping soon.
That sure is pretty..... and will come in around $24K, or about double what the original Box cost. It would be nice to see API doing custom configurations like this as options for The BOX.


FWIW, I also checked with API, you can't get the new meter upgrade on the 16 summing side on the 4 channel Box, which i believe was a mistake to not have that as an available paid upgrade, as it should have been there to begin with IMHO.
Old 12th February 2019
  #524
Lives for gear
 
127Riot's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
That sure is pretty..... and will come in around $24K, or about double what the original Box cost. It would be nice to see API doing custom configurations like this as options for The BOX.


FWIW, I also checked with API, you can't get the new meter upgrade on the 16 summing side on the 4 channel Box, which i believe was a mistake to not have that as an available paid upgrade, as it should have been there to begin with IMHO.
I’d have no problem paying more for this. And in my post earlier in this thread I guesstimated that it would be about $25.k.
Old 13th February 2019
  #525
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

24 ch is mandatory for me but feel they’d be loath to do that for fear of canibalising 1608 sales .
Old 13th February 2019
  #526
Lives for gear
 
127Riot's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
24 ch is mandatory for me but feel they’d be loath to do that for fear of canibalising 1608 sales .
I don’t think so, I think this is a good middle ground as the 1608 has way more options and the V-3 is a perfect set up for a lot of guys that will never buy a 1608 at $50.k but would definitely buy the V-3 at at $25.k.
Old 13th February 2019
  #527
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
24 ch is mandatory for me but feel they’d be loath to do that for fear of canibalising 1608 sales .
The Box version 2 is 24 channels but I could see them doing a full 16 preamp version Box similar to as @ 127Riot posted. I can't see them doing more than 16 as they have the 1608 for that. I also don't see any of the Box options cutting into 1608 sales, if anything the Box is a gateway for many to a 1608.

API the Box was selling at about 1 a week before v2, that's a consistent sales number that provoked API in doing the Box v2, 1608 II and the new 2448, showing API there is a market for for The Box, 1608, and something between (2448) the 1608 and Legacy.

At this point I'm just surprised API does not offer the Box in 4 channel, 8 channel and a 16 channel options as 127Riot posted, they could corner the home pro market as SSL has nothing competitive under $25K and Neve have nothing under $45K.
Old 13th February 2019
  #528
Lives for gear
 
andersmv's Avatar
 

It would be cool if in the future, they made it even more "modular". Maybe have the left side as two, 4 channel buckets where you can choose to have the 4 API preamp channels with the 500 series slots above (Like it is now), and order 4 more channels later if you're tight on money. Same with right side, you can either order the 16 channel summing section, or 2 more buckets of the left side full 4 channel so you could have 16 mic preamps like 127riot suggested with the picture above.

That would give people a lot of option come order time, or allow people to build it as they go and save some money. I'm kind of surprised they discontinued the V1, but it was probably financially unfeasible to build both models and keep both sizes around.
Old 13th February 2019
  #529
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
It would be cool if in the future, they made it even more "modular". Maybe have the left side as two, 4 channel buckets where you can choose to have the 4 API preamp channels with the 500 series slots above (Like it is now), and order 4 more channels later if you're tight on money. Same with right side, you can either order the 16 channel summing section, or 2 more buckets of the left side full 4 channel so you could have 16 mic preamps like 127riot suggested with the picture above.

That would give people a lot of option come order time, or allow people to build it as they go and save some money. I'm kind of surprised they discontinued the V1, but it was probably financially unfeasible to build both models and keep both sizes around.
I agree 100%. Imagine a Box that can have two 4 pre sections per side or two 8 summing channels per side, but you could start with just what you need. Make the Box fully custom with 4 pre or 8 summing channel section options. The sections are easily swap-able as of now, just make the Box frame equal on both sides and easy to upgrade. One user could have 32 summing channels, another 16 preamp channels, another 8 pre and 16 summing, another 4 pre and 24 summing.

People could buy the basic box with 4 preamps or 8 summing and the rest empty, then add what they need.
Old 13th February 2019
  #530
Lives for gear
 
127Riot's Avatar
 

The V-3 is a real console. Not some preamps with a Summing section attached. It is consistent each channel the same with 500 series slots, Aux sends, Preamps, etc.. on every channel.

With this console you can track a full Band and do full analog mixing, stem mixing, hybrid mixing, ITB Monitoring, etc...

A Miniature Version of the 1608

The box is a summing mixer with cool options, the V-3 is a powerful small format console.
Old 13th February 2019
  #531
Lives for gear
 
127Riot's Avatar
 

Api V-3

The api V-3,

16 full channels with 500 series slots on each, full master section with upgraded headphone amp that supplies 6 headphone feeds.

4 Stereo inserts that dump into the 2-Mix for Summing mixer expansion, additional ITB Stereo stems/effect returns or any combination of.

Optional external VU meter bridge that attaches to the top of the V-3 chaise, just because VU’s are cool.
Attached Thumbnails
API The box?-881da5be-7a46-4554-a51a-b76a0fa1a934.jpg  
Old 13th February 2019
  #532
Lives for gear
 
XAXAU's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post
The api V-3,

16 full channels with 500 series slots on each, full master section with upgraded headphone amp that supplies 6 headphone feeds.

4 Stereo inserts that dump into the 2-Mix for Summing mixer expansion, additional ITB Stereo stems/effect returns or any combination of.

Optional external VU meter bridge that attaches to the top of the V-3 chaise, just because VU’s are cool.
3 more stereo faders in the center of the console for busses/stereo returns and it’s complete!
Old 13th February 2019
  #533
Lives for gear
 
andersmv's Avatar
 

I really expected them to do something with that blank space by the master fader when they updated the console, it just seems awfully suspicious. It's about the same size as the automation computer for the 1608... Hmm....
Old 13th February 2019
  #534
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
I really expected them to do something with that blank space by the master fader when they updated the console, it just seems awfully suspicious. It's about the same size as the automation computer for the 1608... Hmm....
They will never put automation on The Box design, as that would cut into their 1608 sales IMHO.
Old 13th February 2019
  #535
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Buckets would be ace!
Old 13th February 2019
  #536
Lives for gear
 
andersmv's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
They will never put automation on The Box design, as that would cut into their 1608 sales IMHO.
Ya well... I was saying the same thing a few months back about them making an 8 channel box. I think they've realized that the Box is a gateway drug to the 1608, and there's plenty of people moving up. Check out Red Barn Studio in Springdale, Arkansas. Jason is about 4 hours from me and just sold his Box for a 1608. All that to say, I take back a lot of comments I made about API being paranoid about Box sales stomping on the 1608. I don't think they're worried.

I like the idea of a 16 channel box in the future, but I'm wondering how much more the internal power supply can handle before it needs to be beefed up to an external box? 16 full channels with 500 slots in them? There can't be that much of a power difference between that and the 1608?
Old 13th February 2019
  #537
Lives for gear
 
127Riot's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
Ya well... I was saying the same thing a few months back about them making an 8 channel box. I think they've realized that the Box is a gateway drug to the 1608, and there's plenty of people moving up. Check out Red Barn Studio in Springdale, Arkansas. Jason is about 4 hours from me and just sold his Box for a 1608. All that to say, I take back a lot of comments I made about API being paranoid about Box sales stomping on the 1608. I don't think they're worried.

I like the idea of a 16 channel box in the future, but I'm wondering how much more the internal power supply can handle before it needs to be beefed up to an external box? 16 full channels with 500 slots in them? There can't be that much of a power difference between that and the 1608?
External powe supply is another great idea,
Old 13th February 2019
  #538
Lives for gear
 
127Riot's Avatar
 

No Automation is fine by me
Old 13th February 2019
  #539
Lives for gear
 
Strobian's Avatar
I was watching the Box 2, just not understanding what the interest of a console is without EQ and compression on every channel. Is there some type of sound from the summing or just the thrill of having hands on. Maybe I'm asking for too much on something with a smaller footprint.
Old 13th February 2019
  #540
Lives for gear
 
andersmv's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobian View Post
I was watching the Box 2, just not understanding what the interest of a console is without EQ and compression on every channel. Is there some type of sound from the summing or just the thrill of having hands on. Maybe I'm asking for too much on something with a smaller footprint.
Nothing wrong with that thought, everyone works a little different. I hardly ever EQ when tracking, if something's not working I move the mic or change it out. I do compress during tracking a fair amount, but not enough to ever need it on every channel. On The Box consoles, you can technically have both EQ and compression on up to 2 channels at once. You can put an EQ in the 500 slot and route the buss compressor to any of the first 4 channels. With how I work, that's more than enough for me.

In terms of summing, especially with API it's a pretty subtle sonic thing. The tactile "hands on" thing shouldn't be completely ignored, it is nice to grab onto things and get your face out of a computer screen at some stages of the recording/mixing process.

More than anything, something like The Box is meant to be a hub for a smaller studio and helps integrate all your gear together in a nice looking centerpiece. If you need 16-24 channels with EQ and compression on every channel, you better have a hefty budget for something nice... I would be blowing a LOT of money moving up to even something like a 1608, there's just way too many features that will never get used with my workflow. The Box is meant to be an extremely stripped back console (feature wise) while still giving your the meat and potatoes of what most DAW based, smaller studio engineers are looking for. If it doesn't make sense to you, it's probably the wrong choice for your situation!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump