The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
API The box?
Old 25th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
Just to clarify though, the 16 summing channels don't have transformers. That was up in the air for a while when The Box was first released.
No, they do not. They also do not have direct outputs because I believe they are designed to be summed through the program bus.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtman26 View Post
No, they do not. They also do not have direct outputs because I believe they are designed to be summed through the program bus.
They don't have direct outs, but if you want to cheat they do have inserts.
Old 25th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
They don't have direct outs, but if you want to cheat they do have inserts.
They do, but the insert sends are just mults of the summing input db25 and do not pass through any API circuitry.
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Api REV 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post
I'd prefer the box set up like this. Sorry about the crude cut & paste job I did it quick on my phone. I know everyone has their own wants and specific needs in a mixer. I think this would be awesome! Even if it had 12 open eq slots with this set up would be great too.
Not exact but close enough!! I love the new layout still don’t like the name. Can’t be too picky tho.
Attached Thumbnails
API The box?-82005023-238d-4aa0-9c34-ad8d52f351fd.png  
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Well, I got confirmation from VK and Sweetwater today. The 4 channel Box is no longer being made, and neither are budging from the $15,995 price. That's a little frustrating as both places were offering around 15% off the posted price of the last version of the box, but I get it. Unfortunately, $16k is well outside my budget. As much as it hurts, that's just too much for me and I don't anticipating attempting to save that much for a console.

Hopefully there will be some used ones this summer when I'm ready to buy. It's a bit frustrating as VK had quoted me a great price for a new V1 version and I was anticipating just doing that. For me at least, under $13k vs $16k is a huge difference. I know that's not the case for most people buying in this price range, but it is what it is. I'm excited that they did a great job and updated it, but it would have been nice to still be able to get the original 4 channel version.
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Head

No discount is a bit frustrating, indeed. I do wonder, though, if you wait 6-12 months if things might change. It is, after all, brand new. I would personally be apprehensive about paying the full $16k when you consider the possibility of yet an updated version coming out in 5 or so years which means your used one at that point would probably fetch $10k at most.

This new version definitely has my interest, and I am trying my hardest to figure out a way to justify this for what is just a hobby for me. If I were to over time buy two 3124Vs (or other good preamps) ,a couple of 527s or similar compressors, another 500 series rack and maybe a summing mixer such as the RND 5059, I would probably be out at least $11k (assuming I get some discounts on those). Given that The Box allows for up to 24 channels during mixing, has the monitoring section and meters, actual faders, mute and solo buttons, etc. and ultimately is pretty cool looking, that is worth something.

Since I would probably buy more hardware over the next few years anyway, it might not be so difficult to justify this in a couple of years if I start saving, but I agree that it would have to be at somewhat of a discount to the $15,955....
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Api BOx Rev-3

Id like to see the Box Version 3 with 8 of the full blue channel faders on the left, same master section/compressor in the middle and 8 of the full blue channel faders on the right with all blank 500 series slots above all 16 channels.

Same amount of Echo sends.
Same features as the Box 2.

With the additional options of:
1- Inline monitoring via a small rotary Fader pot per channel for a total 32 inputs at mix down.

2- Additional Stereo inputs that dump straight into the mixbuss, for adding Summing mixers or effect returns.

3- Improved headphone amp with 6 outputs on rear and one on front right bottom.

4- Aux 1/8th inch input for auxiliary device playback, iPhones, etc..

5- Soft Armrest with more real estate

All rear connections will be DB-25 and XLR accept for headphone outs and DI will be standard 1/4 inch.

For those that say well that’s a 1608, no it’s not the 1608 has many more features.

This is not a Summing mixer box with a few extra input channels, this is a true small format console like a miniature 1608, something that you can track a full Rock band with and Mix/Monitor on. A great center piece.

Not sure about price point $25.k?

One last thing if api could change the generic name from the Box to something like, the api 1642. That would be great.
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Id like to see the Box Version 3 with 8 of the full blue channel faders on the left, same master section/compressor in the middle and 8 of the full blue channel faders on the right with all blank 500 series slots above all 16 channels.

Same amount of Echo sends.
Same features as the Box 2.

With the additional options of:
1- Inline monitoring via a small rotary Fader pot per channel for a total 32 inputs at mix down.

2- Additional Stereo inputs that dump straight into the mixbuss, for adding Summing mixers or effect returns.

3- Improved headphone amp with 6 outputs on rear and one on front right bottom.

4- Aux 1/8th inch input for auxiliary device playback, iPhones, etc..

5- Soft Armrest with more real estate

All rear connections will be DB-25 and XLR accept for headphone outs and DI will be standard 1/4 inch.

For those that say well that’s a 1608, no it’s not the 1608 has many more features.

This is not a Summing mixer box with a few extra input channels, this is a true small format console like a miniature 1608, something that you can track a full Rock band with and Mix/Monitor on. A great center piece.

Not sure about price point $25.k?

One last thing if api could change the generic name from the Box to something like, the api 1642. That would be great.
God damn! Y’all some insatiable, greedy muthafukas

Everyone asks for 8 channel Box at same cost. API says, “done”.

Two days later you got a new list of demands. Damn...that’s cold
(Meant jocularly)
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was thinking API 416 for the old one, or 816 for the new one. Maybe even 0416 or 0816. The ONLY other feature I would have liked to see would be an option to latch the talkback and have an output for the talkback mic. I've gotten really attached to having a footswitch activated talkback system (I've had that for almost 5 years now). As is, I'll have to burn an AUX channel to route the talkback mic to and feed to other cue sends in my setup. I don't mind as I don't really need both the AUX sends, but it would have been nice to have it on a hard output. I don't think they are using all the pins on one of the DB25 outputs, so it wouldn't have been hard to add.
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, I got confirmation from VK and Sweetwater today. The 4 channel Box is no longer being made, and neither are budging from the $15,995 price. That's a little frustrating as both places were offering around 15% off the posted price of the last version of the box, but I get it. Unfortunately, $16k is well outside my budget. As much as it hurts, that's just too much for me and I don't anticipating attempting to save that much for a console.

Hopefully there will be some used ones this summer when I'm ready to buy. It's a bit frustrating as VK had quoted me a great price for a new V1 version and I was anticipating just doing that. For me at least, under $13k vs $16k is a huge difference. I know that's not the case for most people buying in this price range, but it is what it is. I'm excited that they did a great job and updated it, but it would have been nice to still be able to get the original 4 channel version.
There’s a used 4 channel Box on reverb in Texas for a pretty good price and you still might be able to make an offer. Hit that up unless you want the new Box
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
There’s a used 4 channel Box on reverb in Texas for a pretty good price and you still might be able to make an offer. Hit that up unless you want the new Box
Thanks for the heads up. I've already touched base with him, I just can't swing it right now as I had decided to wait until this summer (I need a desk to put it on, and also sort out my interface to get the 16 outs). He's a member on here, but I would love to drive down there and get it if he still has it by then. I used to live in Austin and worked in a few studios a lot around Houston, so I know the area. One of my best friends that's an engineer is working around there, so it would just be an excuse for a road trip to hang out and get a console....
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Nut

(I’m the seller.) I’m in no rush to sell, but man am I getting a lot of pings for this. I don’t think it’ll be around more than a few days at this rate. That being said, not sure I’m going to get a great price for it.

I’m about to embark on a road trip myself, to pick up the vintage API I am replacing this with. All the fun’s in the journey after all!
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithUsInHatred View Post
(I’m the seller.) I’m in no rush to sell, but man am I getting a lot of pings for this. I don’t think it’ll be around more than a few days at this rate. That being said, not sure I’m going to get a great price for it.

I’m about to embark on a road trip myself, to pick up the vintage API I am replacing this with. All the fun’s in the journey after all!
I wish I could do it right now! Where are you headed for the new/old API? Need more details!
Old 31st January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
God damn! Y’all some insatiable, greedy muthafukas

Everyone asks for 8 channel Box at same cost. API says, “done”.

Two days later you got a new list of demands. Damn...that’s cold
(Meant jocularly)
Hahahaha! Yea I know, but hey we’re Gearslutz the more the better. I think the Box Rev 1 and 2 are great.

I’d like to see a 3rd it don’t have to be tomorrow I already have a 28x16x4 channel vintage analog desk. and I might buy a box Rev 2 if they change the name,”jokeing” but for real any of the boxes would be a great add on to what I already have. It’s just that Rev 3 is like my ideal setup. And if you think about the features I added it’s a very powerful board.

16 long throws with 500 series slots for each. Now additionally you have 16 rotary pot faders. So a layout like.
Ch1, kik in on long Fader- kik out on rotary pot.
Ch2, SNR top on long Fader- SNR bottom on rotary pot.
Etc...
Ch13, Bass Mic on long Fader - DI on rotary pot
Ch14,2 mic’s on an amp, R121 on long Fader-57 on rotary pot.
And so on....

Version 3 mentioned in post above would be the ultimate little api desk and not have the feel of a Summing mixer with the other parts attached. IMO. Yes it’s more money. But look at the powerful feature setup. You can do pretty much everything with just that board. And mics, Monitors, and DAW.

Api has nothing better to do besides makes consoles and collect money. I like api a lot I prefer the older api sound but their new products are great too.

Three main components make up the sound in all api gear, input transformer, opamp, output transformer. So boom! That’s their formula, just like mexican or Italian food it’s all the same they just need to serve it up in different ways to make every last person on earth happy. That can’t be hard right?

Version 3 please, and demote “the box” name. It cheapens the quality of api’s persona. Engineers don’t want a box they want a console. Again “half joking”.

The name would not stop me from buying something that was truly what I needed and wanted. But I don’t like it at all.
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I wish I could do it right now! Where are you headed for the new/old API? Need more details!
California! Going to be a long drive back. It’s a 70s sidecar created from the buckets from an old 3224. A new thread with pics when I have it back, if I make it back, whew.
Old 31st January 2019
Lives for gear

Api sidecar made by world pro audio

Quote:
California! Going to be a long drive back. It’s a 70s sidecar created from the buckets from an old 3224. A new thread with pics when I have it back, if I make it back, whew.
World pro audio put together an 8 channel side car out of api parts and sold it last month on eBay for around $14.k. I would of preferred it with the channels strips from a 2488, either way still cool for tracking and Summing.
Attached Thumbnails
API The box?-2a46b3a0-a64d-44e5-af75-536df73be76d.jpg   API The box?-6aea5371-329c-43e8-b2ec-eeb35ab779a2.jpg   API The box?-8a26b498-7f0d-46ba-b4c5-357f97b7823b.jpg  
Old 4th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Api - the box

Quote:
...... and demote “the box” name. It cheapens the quality of api’s persona. Engineers don’t want a box they want a console. Again “half joking”.
Last we checked - they still make black duct tape!!
(we're "half joking" too).
Old 5th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... View Post
I used electrical tape one mine.

Works great.

Not joking.

Love my Box.

: > )
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... View Post
Every time I check the current api Opamps sound narrow and pointy compared to Firlotte VF-600’s, Avedis 122’s, GAR 2520’s, and all the originals Studio Systems Division, farmingdale’s, Melville’s, Huntington’s. And the current api 2520 FAIL RATE is extremely high compared to any other 2520. ^^^ Proven and Factual^^^

That’s your solution for an obvious mistake!? Duct Tape.
Here let me sell you a box for $15.k throw some duct tape on it. That’s how we do all our repairs...

Hahaha
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
That’s your solution for an obvious mistake!? Duct Tape.
Here let me sell you a box for $15.k throw some duct tape on it. That’s how we do all our repairs...

Hahaha
It was a joke about covering a logo, come on...

Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It was a joke about covering a logo, come on...

Half joke,
yea I get what your saying, maybe I was a bit over the top. I know it’s hard to read ones feelings over text.

Even tho like many others I don’t like the name “the box” I can think of another company that came up with a name for a piece so horrifying I cringe.
Old 6th February 2019
Gear Head

I don't care if they named it Shirley, I still want one.
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

He can’t be serious. He said he was half joking....And don’t call it Shirley

(Get the reference or did it go right over like an airplane?)
Old 6th February 2019
Gear Nut

A reference! What is it?!
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
A reference! What is it?!
It’s something you refer to.
Old 6th February 2019
Gear Guru

Just think about the dirty minded associations for a second... there's a lot of places you can go with it, it's a good name
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

Who doesn’t like a good box
Old 7th February 2019
Lives for gear

I used a 4-pre box in the war, but this is an 8 pre box. It’s totally different
Old 7th February 2019
Lives for gear

It’s pretty awesome API read and responded to this thread by releasing The Box V2 that gave the people what they wanted. Kind of awesome to see that happen in a forums thread.

On the chance API will read this, Any chance of ADAT on the A2D? It’d be perfect for expansion without having to buy 8 preamps I don’t need.
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

Even with a 15% discount at some point you still have to buy furniture - a stand for it that will easily be $3k. That’s why I hate changing anything in my studio. It’s all the little things that add up.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search