The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
API The box?
Old 26th August 2018
t_d
Lives for gear

for my op amp replacement i was able to remove the whole input section, de-solder and solder in a new 2520.

it's not too hard with very minor solder skills. on a scale of 1-10 on tech-savviness i'd call myself maybe a 3 or 4... having taught myself some soldering building Eurorack modules.

so i'd say even with halfway decent, can-get-by soldering skills, you can dot the job.... certainly beats sending the console away!

i think some sort of tech skill is pretty handy once you get into console territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
That’s a bit pooh if you’re in a bind and not tech savvy?!!
Old 22nd September 2018
Lives for gear

I'm loving my Box here, I crushed a mix I was having difficulty with on my ITB mix. Everything just comes together faster for me on a console, I'm a hybrid guy for sure and I love driving hardware, it just brings everything together in a great sounding way. I plan on adding units to my Box that add color and saturation come mix time, as that's where digital always lets me down.

Last edited by Will The Weirdo; 23rd September 2018 at 05:07 AM..
Old 23rd September 2018
thats awesome! the one thing i wish i had with the box is a good tape machine.
Old 23rd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmelaub View Post
thats awesome! the one thing i wish i had with the box is a good tape machine.
I am mixing with the API box into an MCI JH 110 Mara Machine 1/4" at 15 IPS here.

Sounds lovely.

If you are thinking about getting a mix down tape deck, I recommend checking out a Mara MCI. Mine sounds great and has been very reliable.
Old 23rd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I'm loving my Box here, I crushed a mix I was having difficulty with on my ITB mix. Everything just comes together faster for me on a console.
Question here.. do you keep thevfaders at zero fb (unity) or do a live performance mix?

How do you calibrate input levels etc?

How many channels are you using... all 16?
Old 23rd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Question here.. do you keep thevfaders at zero fb (unity) or do a live performance mix?

How do you calibrate input levels etc?

How many channels are you using... all 16?
I use some faders at unity and some not.
Usually most of them are not.

Sometimes I do live performance mixes and sometimes I dont.

I use a test tone from my DAW to calibrate levels if needed, but usually its not necessary.

There are actually 20 channels available for a mix, plus another stereo input straight into the mix buss. I use them all when necessary.
Old 24th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post
I am mixing with the API box into an MCI JH 110 Mara Machine 1/4" at 15 IPS here.

Sounds lovely.

If you are thinking about getting a mix down tape deck, I recommend checking out a Mara MCI. Mine sounds great and has been very reliable.
Thanks so much!, btw your stuff sounds killer!!!

also how do you like your eggs?

P.S. something so special about tape.
Old 25th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmelaub View Post
Thanks so much!, btw your stuff sounds killer!!!

also how do you like your eggs?

P.S. something so special about tape.
Thanks for the kind words about my work.

I like the Eggs.
They reveal a lot of detail.
I am used to them and they make sense to me.

Tape sounds good when done right.
Old 3rd October 2018
Rea
Lives for gear

I use and love The Box. I would love to have a 16 "Input Transformer" box made for the input stage of the box. I think that would take it to full on FAT territory...

Thing is, it has to "Fit" the design of the API. Who could possibly design and build a correct box like this?
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rea View Post
I use and love The Box. I would love to have a 16 "Input Transformer" box made for the input stage of the box. I think that would take it to full on FAT territory...

Thing is, it has to "Fit" the design of the API. Who could possibly design and build a correct box like this?
Brad at Louder Than Liftoff..... and I would buy one also.
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear

CAPI Sumbus does this (input tranny per channel), but I don't think it has direct outs per channel. It might, not sure. Either way, would be a legit submixer in this or any situation.
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear

The new 8 ch Phoenix audio DI might work herec as a fat line driver with transformers!
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rea View Post

16x Lundahl txfmrs...XLR or db25 ?...not rocket science.
Michael @ Whirlwind can make this easily
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Head

Looks like Jeff is making precisely what you want? MasterACA prototype
Old 15th October 2018
Rea
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Steeze View Post
Looks like Jeff is making precisely what you want? MasterACA prototype
This indeed looks like a total Killer device, however it is not the minimal Tranny I/O box im talking about. Nevertheless this is amazing...!
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

Since this is an/the api the box thread.. I thought I'll copy here my post that I wrote on the new 1608-II AES 2018 thread..
which are some of the features that might make the BOX more "desirable"..

Please feel free to correct me if I'm missing something from the current box workflow..

API came out with a couple of nice surprises at aes.. How cool is the 2448?? Very nice! Well done api! Remember to listen to your customers, these are the one who are paying your bills!

What about these adds for the BOX:

1. Add 4 more input channels please
2. Add a simple good sounding compressor to the first 4/8 input channels (like the mighty Jdk R22, or its 500 series counterpart built into the console, so that you could have a great tracking setup which is very compact, sounds great on basically everything and it's not too expensive).
3. subgroups please, even just a few (or assignable master faders..SSL-like)
4. What about adding an inline feature to the box to reach 32 channels or thinking at an expander/summing that could be mounted in the rack and operated on the console?

Cheu
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

I didn't realize there was that big of a product line "gap" in the larger consoles. It baffles me that they needed to do another console in the $100k range, I guess only selling a handful of these things is worth the production and R&D costs. I'm starting to think they're never going to do anything between The Box and 1608 as it would hurt 1608 sales too much. I've helped larger studios make decisions on large purchases many a time. When you're dealing with a budget of around $100k for something like a console, most of those guys would be willing to double up on the money if it made more sense.

This new 2448 is really cool, but in that budget I really have doubts about whether or not they actually needed to do that. I would have thought it would hurt the sales on AXS. I know there's not a whole lot of those out in the world, maybe that's why they tried to do this? Who knows... All I know is guys like me who are stretching a budget at around $15k are never going to pony up enough for a 1608, but might be able to push it to $20k. I guess it makes more sense to these guys to sell a handfull of $100k consoles than 20 consoles at the $20k mark. Kind of frustrating, I'm wondering if I'm the one that's out of touch with reality and there still actually IS a bigger market out there than I think for these huge consoles.
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

See above... it’d be fiscal lunacy to put another product inbetween the box and 1608.
Old 18th October 2018
I know this is why they have the 0db feature but i wish the box had moving faders
Old 18th October 2018
I like the Box just the way it is. You can add two more API EQs so that is 4 channels of API to track. Then to sum through it and use the compressor. Plus it has decent monitor capabilities. You can always add outboard gear.
Old 29th October 2018
Lives for gear

I don't know if starting a whole new thread was a good idea, but I would appreciate any feedback from UA Apollo/Box users here:

API The Box/UA Apollo Users

I'm getting an API Box before the end of the year and would love to hear about different work flow approaches integrating it with an Apollo. I've had lots of experience with large format consoles and ProTools TDM/HD, but I've never worked in a room using an Apollo with one. My biggest conundrum is figuring out how to get the built in talkback system on The Box to work with multiple Apollo headphone sends. I realize I can run one of the headphone sends from the Apollo to one of the 2 Track inputs and route it into the cue system, but it seems like it's going to be impossible to get The Box talkback system working with more than one of the Apollo headphone sends (and still have the ability to set up at least 3 independent mixes as I have a silverface rack and twin).

I have one of the original Silverface Twins, otherwise I would just reluctantly use the talkback inside the Twin. I have a talkback system built into the headphone router I'm using right now, but REALLY wish API had included an output for the cue system somewhere in there.... I know they didn't utilize all the pins on at least one of the DB25 outputs, seems like a missed opportunity. Kind of frustrating!
Old 29th October 2018
Lives for gear

Api 1204

I'd prefer the box set up like this. Sorry about the crude cut & paste job I did it quick on my phone. I know everyone has their own wants and specific needs in a mixer. I think this would be awesome! Even if it had 12 open eq slots with this set up would be great too.
Attached Thumbnails
API The box?-img_8840.jpg  
Old 29th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
I don't know if starting a whole new thread was a good idea, but I would appreciate any feedback from UA Apollo/Box users here:

API The Box/UA Apollo Users

I'm getting an API Box before the end of the year and would love to hear about different work flow approaches integrating it with an Apollo. I've had lots of experience with large format consoles and ProTools TDM/HD, but I've never worked in a room using an Apollo with one. My biggest conundrum is figuring out how to get the built in talkback system on The Box to work with multiple Apollo headphone sends. I realize I can run one of the headphone sends from the Apollo to one of the 2 Track inputs and route it into the cue system, but it seems like it's going to be impossible to get The Box talkback system working with more than one of the Apollo headphone sends (and still have the ability to set up at least 3 independent mixes as I have a silverface rack and twin).

I have one of the original Silverface Twins, otherwise I would just reluctantly use the talkback inside the Twin. I have a talkback system built into the headphone router I'm using right now, but REALLY wish API had included an output for the cue system somewhere in there.... I know they didn't utilize all the pins on at least one of the DB25 outputs, seems like a missed opportunity. Kind of frustrating!
I don't know anything about it.. but since API updated their 1608 and came out with the 2488, don't you think it will be a good idea to wait and see if they're going to "update" the box as well? unless you're buying used and getting a great deal.

That said subgroups and an integrated, simple compressor (a la jdk r22/V12) would be a great addition to the box.

Cheu
Old 29th October 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
16x Lundahl txfmrs...XLR or db25 ?...not rocket science.
Michael @ Whirlwind can make this easily
Does anybody know someone who can built something like that in europe?
Old 29th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
I don't know anything about it.. but since API updated their 1608 and came out with the 2488, don't you think it will be a good idea to wait and see if they're going to "update" the box as well? unless you're buying used and getting a great deal.

That said subgroups and an integrated, simple compressor (a la jdk r22/V12) would be a great addition to the box.

Cheu
I've been told a few times in no uncertain terms that The Box will not be getting an upgrade. I'll also be buying used. I think it's a great dead at around $10k, a bit overpriced at $15k.
Old 29th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been told a few times in no uncertain terms that The Box will not be getting an upgrade. I'll also be buying used. I think it's a great dead at around $10k, a bit overpriced at $15k.
Good luck with that, I looked for months and never found one used so I went new from Sweetwater at a great price. I love my Box, it's the perfect small console for me and my studio. I'm now planning to go the DIYRE and Louder Than Liftoff colour modules route to expand my Box...... we work in great times!
Old 29th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good luck with that, I looked for months and never found one used so I went new from Sweetwater at a great price. I love my Box, it's the perfect small console for me and my studio. I'm now planning to go the DIYRE and Louder Than Liftoff colour modules route to expand my Box...... we work in great times!
I've seen many of the api "the box" units sell used some as low as $10.k one literally just got taken down from reverb it was $13.k or best offer.

The 1608's are dropping in price too, there's an unloaded one on eBay right now in mint condition for $30.k or best offer.

A fully loaded one on eBay right now for $39.k or best offer.

You can definitely buy a second hand "The Box" for a good price they pop up quite often.

api dropped the price of the box with in a year of it coming out.
Old 29th October 2018
Lives for gear

Ya, I've already got leads on 3 different used ones at my price so I don't think it's going to be a problem fortunately! So I talked to API about my headphone situation and getting the Box talkback routed to multiple (independent of the console) cue sends. They suggested that if I'm willing to give up an AUX send during tracking, that I could route the talkback to one of the AUX sends and output that to an external headphone splitter or something (which I'm already doing). Not sure why I didn't think of that, but it's a great compromise!
Old 29th October 2018
Lives for gear

Box

Quote:
Good luck with that, I looked for months and never found one used
I think he will have good luck with that.

Vintage king

Reverb

eBay

3 recently up used in one quick search. Many have sold on Reverb, they state the used price is between $10- $12.k as you can see from the screen shot.
Attached Thumbnails
API The box?-img_8851.jpg   API The box?-img_8852.jpg   API The box?-img_8853.jpg   API The box?-img_8854.jpg  
Old 29th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ya, I've already got leads on 3 different used ones at my price so I don't think it's going to be a problem fortunately! So I talked to API about my headphone situation and getting the Box talkback routed to multiple (independent of the console) cue sends. They suggested that if I'm willing to give up an AUX send during tracking, that I could route the talkback to one of the AUX sends and output that to an external headphone splitter or something (which I'm already doing). Not sure why I didn't think of that, but it's a great compromise!
Great deal! I agree with you $10.k is good. I've seen too many for sale at low prices in dead mint like new condition to buy a new one.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search