The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
API The box?
Old 17th August 2018
  #391
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmelaub View Post
mazel tov!!!!! so exciting! i have serial #147 !
your going to love pushing those summing faders for that yummy saturation!
Looks like I have serial #226 , so it looks like API are selling about 56 The Box consoles per year on average or 1 per week, that's not too shabby of API.

What are people throwing in their 500 slots?
Old 17th August 2018
  #392
Gear Nut
 

Congratulations! I have #211 (my birthday, lovely coincidence) purchased exactly 15 weeks ago (not making this up!!). So one a week sounds right.

Love my box - and I was one of those in the hate camp for a while before I came around, stoopid of me. It's great. I have a vintage 550A and a vintager 550 in the two slots. Gives it a good look, like a been there done that kinda cred.

I had the API DSM before and this is a sonic step up without a doubt.
Old 17th August 2018
  #393
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithUsInHatred View Post
Congratulations! I have #211 (my birthday, lovely coincidence) purchased exactly 15 weeks ago (not making this up!!). So one a week sounds right.

Love my box - and I was one of those in the hate camp for a while before I came around, stoopid of me. It's great. I have a vintage 550A and a vintager 550 in the two slots. Gives it a good look, like a been there done that kinda cred.

I had the API DSM before and this is a sonic step up without a doubt.
I've used a ton of API gear in studios and I've tracked on a few API consoles but never owned anything API myself. I've always been a Neve SSL kinda guy, and when the Box was released I remember brushing it off and following the SSL and Neve consoles in detail, lol.

Over the past year I really changed my approach to thinking about my small studio. I spent a few months determining exactly how I wanted to work, then wrote out my needs to accomplish that workflow, then picked tools that fit my needs. So imagine my surprise when API's The Box was at the top of my list over and over, lol. I've never even considered owning anything API so the joke was clearly on me, but I was following my logical tools needs and The Box was the logical choice for my studio...... and now I have serial # 226.
Old 17th August 2018
  #394
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I've used a ton of API gear in studios and I've tracked on a few API consoles but never owned anything API myself. I've always been a Neve SSL kinda guy, and when the Box was released I remember brushing it off and following the SSL and Neve consoles in detail, lol.

Over the past year I really changed my approach to thinking about my small studio. I spent a few months determining exactly how I wanted to work, then wrote out my needs to accomplish that workflow, then picked tools that fit my needs. So imagine my surprise when API's The Box was at the top of my list over and over, lol. I've never even considered owning anything API so the joke was clearly on me, but I was following my logical tools needs and The Box was the logical choice for my studio...... and now I have serial # 226.
Yep, that's exactly my story too, especially the "joke's on me" part!
Old 17th August 2018
  #395
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Over the past year I really changed my approach to thinking about my small studio.
This is exactly my situation. My original plan was a garden studio with a SSL G+ 4032/40. Since being ITB and learning more about how to get to where I need and want to be using ITB techniques I’m embarrissingly almost doing a 180 u turn. Forever I’ve been a console advocate but this view is changing monthly. I still feel analogue at this point in my journey transitioning from a LFAC to the best stage, analogue summing is still the way forward but I’m very cognisant that ITB can yield great results and most importantly ones that I’m happy with.

As a result I feel the ssl matrix will be ensconced in my mix suit before long, where it will be the best of both worlds of daw control, patching and analogue summing. Yeah it’s clean but I’ve got tones of outboard to Fark it all up where required.

Changed person from someone who thought it was an imperative to have a kik ass LFAC.

Onwards and upwards.. just need mecsone D&D 8cs!

Wiggy
Old 17th August 2018
  #396
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Changed person from someone who thought it was an imperative to have a kik ass LFAC.
Yeah, we've got really great tool options today IMHO, when I was looking I was really surprised at all the analogue and hybrid options for smaller studio's. The manufactures have fully changed with the industry and embracing that change much more than I realized. In fact with all these quality tool options today it's almost impossible for 2 studio's to be exactly the same, making heated GS debates really silly, lol. So more than ever I believe in to each their own.
Old 20th August 2018
  #397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Looks like I have serial #226 , so it looks like API are selling about 56 The Box consoles per year on average or 1 per week, that's not too shabby of API.

What are people throwing in their 500 slots?
I got a pair of JDK V14 in the open slots
Old 20th August 2018
  #398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Looks like I have serial #226 , so it looks like API are selling about 56 The Box consoles per year on average or 1 per week, that's not too shabby of API.

What are people throwing in their 500 slots?
If I was blessed with the API the Box, I would want API in the 500 slots, otherwise it becomes a Hybrid box. I would want API EQs which sound amazing on so many things.
Old 20th August 2018
  #399
t_d
Lives for gear
 
t_d's Avatar
a pair of 560s in my open slots. to keep the look uniform, as well as the fact that no studio should be without some 560s.

i also replaced the white fader caps of the summing channels with grey ones i bought on ebay .. it looks SO much better... the white always stuck out to me.. as there is really not much other white on the console.. made it look cheaper ... grey is definitely stealthier.

i'll try to get a pic up.
Old 20th August 2018
  #400
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
a pair of 560s in my open slots. to keep the look uniform, as well as the fact that no studio should be without some 560s.

i also replaced the white fader caps of the summing channels with grey ones i bought on ebay .. it looks SO much better... the white always stuck out to me.. as there is really not much other white on the console.. made it look cheaper ... grey is definitely stealthier.

i'll try to get a pic up.
Do you have a link on that Ebay seller? I like the grey idea but I'm not sure what fader caps would work for my Box.
Old 20th August 2018
  #401
t_d
Lives for gear
 
t_d's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Do you have a link on that Ebay seller? I like the grey idea but I'm not sure what fader caps would work for my Box.

here's a photo. the slider caps are slightly wider than the ones that came on the box, but they totally work fine.

looks like the eBay item isn't really available anymore, but here's a pic of the item i bought with the seller name. if you measure the fader caps (in mm) and double check the bottom of the cap and make sure the slit that attaches to the fader is the right size, it's not too hard to find compatible ones.

i think the caps came from germany. i'm in new york, but shipping was fast enough.
Attached Thumbnails
API The box?-boxgreyknobs.jpg   API The box?-screen-shot-2018-08-20-9.23.28-am.jpg  
Old 20th August 2018
  #402
t_d
Lives for gear
 
t_d's Avatar
6 prof FADER KNOB cap GREY T-Bar 0.73" ribbed 0,43"x1,02" slider pot fader mixer 4251029602133 | eBay

those may be the right ones

poke around their listings and lots of interesting colors as well. a darker grey, black, even a blue that seems to match the API fader blue.

i felt white was the wrong choice for the original fader cap on the Box.. but this stuff is so subjective...
Old 20th August 2018
  #403
Lives for gear
 
DougS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
here's a photo. the slider caps are slightly wider than the ones that came on the box, but they totally work fine.

looks like the eBay item isn't really available anymore, but here's a pic of the item i bought with the seller name. if you measure the fader caps (in mm) and double check the bottom of the cap and make sure the slit that attaches to the fader is the right size, it's not too hard to find compatible ones.

i think the caps came from germany. i'm in new york, but shipping was fast enough.
I like the grey also!
Old 20th August 2018
  #404
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
here's a photo. the slider caps are slightly wider than the ones that came on the box, but they totally work fine.

looks like the eBay item isn't really available anymore, but here's a pic of the item i bought with the seller name. if you measure the fader caps (in mm) and double check the bottom of the cap and make sure the slit that attaches to the fader is the right size, it's not too hard to find compatible ones.

i think the caps came from germany. i'm in new york, but shipping was fast enough.
Thanks for the info..... the grey looks great and what I'll do also.
Old 20th August 2018
  #405
Lives for gear
 
Strobian's Avatar
I've looked at these before and I really like API gear. It gets weird labels here "like the sound of rock", but it can be a lot of different things.

What are you noticing with it for sound and workflow. It almost seems like I can have more flexibility with buying two of their channel strips and a 2500 for much less. The summing would be ITB but the price seemed a bit high for what you get in comparison. I think for me I might not need the talkback mic/console section at this point. If I build a larger room this is definitely a contender.
Old 20th August 2018
  #406
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Yeah but does it sound better with new caps??
Old 20th August 2018
  #407
t_d
Lives for gear
 
t_d's Avatar
warmer! punchier! wider!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Yeah but does it sound better with new caps??
Old 20th August 2018
  #408
t_d
Lives for gear
 
t_d's Avatar
as far as "API has the rock sound".. i'm with you there... i've been on GS for a long time, heard that so many times.. and make just about the opposite kind of music from rock as you can... (ambient)... people love to put different pieces of gear in different musical genres.. and while they may work well in those, by all means they can work well with other genres as well.

i found that the API pres are great on transients, fast and clear.. which is why people may love it for rock drums or punchy guitars... but, they also work fantastic for bells/mallets/xylophones and other crisp, transient instruments that i use in my own music. it's also an open and clear sound which can work well for many kinds of music.

when possible you have to try a piece of gear out for yourself and ignore what's often said here on GS.

so, yes, as you said, API can be great for a lot of different things.

if you don't need the full console flow, then maybe a couple channel strips and buss compressor would suit you better. for me, i needed the summing, aux section and monitor section (this was of particular importance).. and to have all of these on one unit, along with the input channels, EQs, compressor and my extensive patch bay... makes the Box the totally flexible centerpiece of everything i do.

i wish it had more empty 500 slots (tho my patch bay system takes care of the ability to patch my other 500 racks into the Box inserts anywhere) and wish it had a slightly lower profile (gets in the way of my computer monitor a little bit).. but otherwise... love it..


Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobian View Post
I've looked at these before and I really like API gear. It gets weird labels here "like the sound of rock", but it can be a lot of different things.

What are you noticing with it for sound and workflow. It almost seems like I can have more flexibility with buying two of their channel strips and a 2500 for much less. The summing would be ITB but the price seemed a bit high for what you get in comparison. I think for me I might not need the talkback mic/console section at this point. If I build a larger room this is definitely a contender.
Old 20th August 2018
  #409
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Yeah but does it sound better with new caps??
Sounds more "grey"

A little bit darker than the white version
Old 21st August 2018
  #410
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
as far as "API has the rock sound".. i'm with you there... i've been on GS for a long time, heard that so many times.. and make just about the opposite kind of music from rock as you can... (ambient)... people love to put different pieces of gear in different musical genres.. and while they may work well in those, by all means they can work well with other genres as well.
It is funny how classic API is known as a "Rock" console, and modern API is known for Country, lol. I'll be focusing on making my modern original Christmas music with my Box......... so I plan on making The Box known for that, lol.
Old 21st August 2018
  #411
Deleted 6ccb844
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
It is funny how classic API is known as a "Rock" console, and modern API is known for Country, lol. I'll be focusing on making my modern original Christmas music with my Box......... so I plan on making The Box known for that, lol.
Just another GS oddity, having a pre-amp for every day of the week.. I can't say I've heard anyone refuse to do a rock track because they have a Neve, Trident or SSL..

"Sorry rock band, I don't have an API so you're sod outta luck"..
Old 22nd August 2018
  #412
Gear Nut
 

Oh wow t_d, you.. erm.. "recapped" your faders! That looks great. I've been wanting to do the same using some spares I have lying around, but (at the risk of asking a very dumb question): how do you pull the existing caps off? I tried and they are so firmly on that I felt I would pull the fader out the board. Did you have to open the box up and grip it from within or something? Thanks.
Old 22nd August 2018
  #413
Gear Nut
 

Ah nevermind. Armed with the confidence that it can indeed be done, I pulled off the caps quite easily. Thanks!
Old 22nd August 2018
  #414
t_d
Lives for gear
 
t_d's Avatar
yeah, i don't remember having to do anything special but be gently confident!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithUsInHatred View Post
Ah nevermind. Armed with the confidence that it can indeed be done, I pulled off the caps quite easily. Thanks!
Old 24th August 2018
  #415
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
What are the symptoms when an API opamp goes out?
Old 24th August 2018
  #416
Lives for gear
 
skybluerental's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
What are the symptoms when an API opamp goes out?
The channel will not pass audio a lot of the time.

Could sound distorted too............
Old 25th August 2018
  #417
Lives for gear
 
paul999's Avatar
 

Api is really good about sending you a replacement. They have sent me several. The funny thing is that sometimes the Opamp will work after a period of time of not being socketed (like a couple weeks) and then work for months. If you replace the suspected opamp with a known working one you'll know if it is the problem.
Old 25th August 2018
  #418
t_d
Lives for gear
 
t_d's Avatar
i've had a few faders and an op amp go out on my Box. .and API support was great on the phone and i got the parts (and some extras) very quickly..

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul999 View Post
Api is really good about sending you a replacement. They have sent me several. The funny thing is that sometimes the Opamp will work after a period of time of not being socketed (like a couple weeks) and then work for months. If you replace the suspected opamp with a known working one you'll know if it is the problem.
Old 25th August 2018
  #419
Turns out the opamps on the auxes are soldered which is a bummer. Luckily, the one that's failing in mine is usually operational so I haven't bothered taking it to a technician.
Api did send the opamps though, which is nice.
Old 26th August 2018
  #420
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

That’s a bit pooh if you’re in a bind and not tech savvy?!!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump