The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
API The box?
Old 15th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I’d probably go for the new Capi Sumbus mixer or wait for the Overstayer Imperial Console.
I’m VERY interested in the Sumbus. I’ve been following Jeff’s posts on Facebook and think it would compliment my home setup perfectly. Dying to know what the DIY version will cost.
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by core64 View Post
I’m VERY interested in the Sumbus. I’ve been following Jeff’s posts on Facebook and think it would compliment my home setup perfectly. Dying to know what the DIY version will cost.
I’ve heard mixes through the prototype. It’s going to sound amazing.
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
My studio is a high end project studio where I mostly record my own projects doing up to 4 tracks at a time with Superior and BFD drums.

When I have the time and meet the right person I record other artist in my home studio. With having a full time job that pays well with 401k, medical and pension I would be foolish to leave that job. Plus the company car helps too

Just hearing myself talk The Box seems to be a great option? With knowing my setup, does your opinion on what you would recommend change?
I think your best bet is to find a dealer and run some of your own stuff through various options available.
It’s a decent sized investment.
I’ve tried tested so many things over the years,back in my hybrid summing phase:Aurora audio’s GTM mixer(got the prototype Home tested then cancelled my order.it was a mess)the API Summing box(boring)chandler mini mixer, Spl mix dream, shadow hills equinox,AMS Neve 8816,Tonelux mixer(still have it)etc etc etc.
Every single one I demoed at my place for at least a week.
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmin View Post
Although I really like the Overstayer stuff, I find the imperial panel extremely "busy". Personally, I can't imagine myself using 16 or more of these modules on a console. Too much distraction..
I love them, especially after you use them for a bit and understand the workflow.
Super forward thinking,eliminates a ton of other outboard stuff needed and the implementation of the internal elements as a system is insanely musical.
It’s like a mixing “instrument”.
Pretty hard to make stuff sound bad.
Plus It’s just plain all out fun.
Old 15th January 2018
Quote:
I’ve heard mixes through the prototype. It’s going to sound amazing.
Nice! That's encouraging. According to Jeff, it's going to be released sometime in the first quarter of this year. Looking forward to it.
Old 15th January 2018
Quote:
I think your best bet is to find a dealer and run some of your own stuff through various options available.
I’ve tried tested so many things over the years,back in my hybrid summing phase:Aurora audio’s GTM mixer(got the prototype Home tested then cancelled my order.it was a mess)the API Summing box(boring)chandler mini mixer, Spl mix dream, shadow hills equinox,AMS Neve 8816,Tonelux mixer(still have it)etc etc etc.
Tried the Great River MM20? I've had one here for the last few months and I have to say, it's amazing. Everything I expected it to be and more. WAY better value than The Box with more routing/features. And while I've never 'heard' The Box, I can't imagine it sounding better than this. Workflow is a tad different and a definite adjustment, however, the sound out of this beast is beautiful!
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Any links to this capi monster?
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Any links to this capi monster?
Mostly facebook and instagram posts from Jeff.
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you ever heard a Trident 88??

Looks interesting.
Old 15th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfarr View Post
Tried the Great River MM20? I've had one here for the last few months and I have to say, it's amazing. Everything I expected it to be and more. WAY better value than The Box with more routing/features. And while I've never 'heard' The Box, I can't imagine it sounding better than this. Workflow is a tad different and a definite adjustment, however, the sound out of this beast is beautiful!
I'm sure it sounds great, but many of us want a center piece in our studio. The MM20 sits in a rack like my Dangerous D. The unit has 4 pre's with summing. There are no EQ or compressors like The Box has. I also want a good looking center piece that has a good work flow.
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sure it sounds great, but many of us want a center piece in our studio. The MM20 sits in a rack like my Dangerous D. The unit has 4 pre's with summing. There are no EQ or compressors like The Box has. I also want a good looking center piece that has a good work flow.
Ya. Unfortunately in my location, one of the first things I hear from a lot of people looking at my space is "where is your console?". They have no idea what a console really does, but it must be important, haha!

Aside from some of those petty considerations and aesthetics, I want something physical that's in front of me in the sweet spot when I'm getting down to the final mix. Even with clients that are not tech savvy or understand the recording process, it's nice to give them some faders and stuff to touch when tracking and listening back.
Old 16th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfarr View Post
Heard it
Sounded real good
Probably the best neve vibe summing thing currently going.
But the Capi will be great too.
Old 16th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
After hearing it,I’d do the great river and outboard over the Box any day.
The bottom line is Sonics.and the build quality is outstanding. The box felt a little pricey for what it is.sure wasn’t a bcm10 lol.also not a big fan of the 527 compressors..your stuck with them.and 4 slots!?
The centerpiece should be your talent,not a bunch of white faders and 4 slots.
Old 16th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post
Have you ever heard a Trident 88??

Looks interesting.
messed with it over at PMI and AES and again @ Namm.
Seemed on the higher end of the mid priced console offerings
Way better than that horrible no headroom Toft thing.
The eq indeed felt very 80b-ish.
Old 20th January 2018
I'm very happy not to of heard the other consoles in person as I'm very happy with my BOX and don't need the emotions right now of deciding which sound is more high end etc...
Old 23rd January 2018
Gear Addict

Being happy with your Box is all that matters Remember we get this stuff for our own pleasure- as long as the gear is good, the minutia of incremental differences doesn't matter in terms of professional impact on your career and skills. As much as gear matters, it also really doesn't matter (within reason). Plus the clients don't care what you use for the most part. I've had an X-Desk, a Box, now the Harrison. I liked them all for different reasons and I wouldn't say that my work was any better on any one of them in particular. It's easy to get swept up in the disease of 'more' when the reality is the gear we have is probably enough, and whatever upgrade you could make in hindsight would have a negligeable impact on your work.

That being said I totally understand where you're coming from haha

So kick back and enjoy your killer console!

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmelaub View Post
I'm very happy not to of heard the other consoles in person as I'm very happy with my BOX and don't need the emotions right now of deciding which sound is more high end etc...
Old 23rd January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Reducer View Post
Being happy with your Box is all that matters Remember we get this stuff for our own pleasure- as long as the gear is good, the minutia of incremental differences doesn't matter in terms of professional impact on your career and skills. As much as gear matters, it also really doesn't matter (within reason). Plus the clients don't care what you use for the most part. I've had an X-Desk, a Box, now the Harrison. I liked them all for different reasons and I wouldn't say that my work was any better on any one of them in particular. It's easy to get swept up in the disease of 'more' when the reality is the gear we have is probably enough, and whatever upgrade you could make in hindsight would have a negligeable impact on your work.

That being said I totally understand where you're coming from haha

So kick back and enjoy your killer console!
Hell yeh!!!!!
Old 23rd January 2018
Gear Maniac
i've owned and worked on quite a few consoles. from a mackie 1604, to alesis x2, neotek, amek, api, neve, ssl, tridents, etc.

i've had rooms with a trident 80 and an ssl 4056.

my last private room had a customized yamaha pm2000 which i actually liked a lot.

i'm thinking about setting up a new space to get back to working on some music, the box seems ideal for what i would like.

i don't ever want to own a large console anymore. don't have the room nor do i want to do the maintenance.

i've got some nice preamps and outboard, used to always work on radar, but probably will just be getting an apollo and work in protools.

i would like to have some faders in front of me. i'd also like incorporate my outboard on mixes. i'm fine sending out stereo stems and a few mono channels to a small mixer or summing box.

the api seems like a pretty great deal once you add up what it would cost to buy the same components.

now, if they could make one with 8 channels on the input side with all blank 500 spots....and a 2500 replacing the 527...i'd buy one today. haha.
Old 24th January 2018
What furniture/desk options are available for The Box? ....something that's functional and looks like it belongs in a studio.
Old 25th January 2018
for me the best option was to hire a professional carpenter. here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
API The box?-screen-shot-2018-01-25-12.59.01-am.png   API The box?-image-1-.png   API The box?-image.png  
Old 25th January 2018
Does it have balanced direct outs?
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestifer View Post
i've owned and worked on quite a few consoles. from a mackie 1604, to alesis x2, neotek, amek, api, neve, ssl, tridents, etc.

i've had rooms with a trident 80 and an ssl 4056.

my last private room had a customized yamaha pm2000 which i actually liked a lot.

i'm thinking about setting up a new space to get back to working on some music, the box seems ideal for what i would like.

i don't ever want to own a large console anymore. don't have the room nor do i want to do the maintenance.

i've got some nice preamps and outboard, used to always work on radar, but probably will just be getting an apollo and work in protools.

i would like to have some faders in front of me. i'd also like incorporate my outboard on mixes. i'm fine sending out stereo stems and a few mono channels to a small mixer or summing box.

the api seems like a pretty great deal once you add up what it would cost to buy the same components.

now, if they could make one with 8 channels on the input side with all blank 500 spots....and a 2500 replacing the 527...i'd buy one today. haha.
Out of curiosity, what did you think of that 1604 compared to the other stuff on that stellar list?

I used to own one, and my experience with different consoles is pretty limited. So I'm wondering how that one stacked up.
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by u87allen View Post
Out of curiosity, what did you think of that 1604 compared to the other stuff on that stellar list?

I used to own one, and my experience with different consoles is pretty limited. So I'm wondering how that one stacked up.

well, one thing i can say about a mackie 1604 is...they work...and last forever.

it's been a workhorse mixer that i've owned since the early 90's when they first came out.

still got it. i've used it for live mixing, as my drum monitor mixer when i toured with bands, for recording with adats when i first started out, and for a headphone mixer for drummers in almost every studio i've owned.

i made a lot of records on that mackie 1604 with adats, then an otari mx5050 1/2" 8 track when i was first starting out. it was an excellent little mixer to learn signal flow on...and at the time, it was pretty revolutionary.

when i was able to start working on nicer gear, i just upped the quality of my tones. sonically, the mackie is not...amazing. it just doesn't have the headroom or punch of nicer preamps...but for what it is...it's pretty cool...and the damn thing still works great in 2018, almost 26 years later.

somewhere i have a picture of it sitting on my ssl 4056. during one weekend tracking session, the center section of my ssl went down, and i got thru the weekend by patching in my mackie 1604 to use to monitor the tracks going down to my 2" machine, and send cue mixes to the band.

saved my ass that day. haha.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestifer View Post
well, one thing i can say about a mackie 1604 is...they work...and last forever.

it's been a workhorse mixer that i've owned since the early 90's when they first came out.

still got it. i've used it for live mixing, as my drum monitor mixer when i toured with bands, for recording with adats when i first started out, and for a headphone mixer for drummers in almost every studio i've owned.

i made a lot of records on that mackie 1604 with adats, then an otari mx5050 1/2" 8 track when i was first starting out. it was an excellent little mixer to learn signal flow on...and at the time, it was pretty revolutionary.

when i was able to start working on nicer gear, i just upped the quality of my tones. sonically, the mackie is not...amazing. it just doesn't have the headroom or punch of nicer preamps...but for what it is...it's pretty cool...and the damn thing still works great in 2018, almost 26 years later.

somewhere i have a picture of it sitting on my ssl 4056. during one weekend tracking session, the center section of my ssl went down, and i got thru the weekend by patching in my mackie 1604 to use to monitor the tracks going down to my 2" machine, and send cue mixes to the band.

saved my ass that day. haha.
Thanks for the great story. I sold mine in 2008 and have owned a few boxes since then around the same price range and honestly thought the 1604 sounded better. But thought maybe I was remembering it wrong, since it was my first real mixer.

And no, it doesn't stack up to my outboard pres and summing box.

The API box looked interesting to me but it seems like it's mainly geared towards being a front end for a DAW. I needed something to be a true small format mixer, like my old Mackie.
Old 26th January 2018
Gear Maniac
now that i think about it...i think that little 1604 saved the day quite a few times. i remember now my partner in the studio with the ssl doing the same thing for a weekend of tracking when something was up with the SSL. i wish i could find those pictures. i remember now having a picture of his session with that thing sitting on a hunk of foam in the middle of the giant ssl desk. haha.

i've also used it on tons of remote recording rigs with my radar system. was a simple way to monitor what was going down to "tape" without carrying a ton of extra gear.
Old 7th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... View Post
When you do a mixdown on a 1608, and we would assume a line level signal coming back from the DAW, the signal doesn't go through the input transformer - only the output transformer in the summing section. The output transformers actually live on the summing modules.

In The Box there absolutely are output transformers, they just don't live on the summing modules, but are bolted to the belly of the console. If there were no output transformer we wouldn't claim the two consoles have the same sonic character. They use the same 2520 and the same output transformer in the mix path.

Hope this helps to clarify.
Are there specific output transformers for the built in 527 compressors? Besides the summing section?

Thanks
Old 8th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmelaub View Post
Are there specific output transformers for the built in 527 compressors? Besides the summing section?

Thanks
There are not. Because the compressor 'lives' in the console, it either attaches to the stereo bus, or to an individual input channel and its bus structure - no transformer necessary.

Thanks for asking.
Old 17th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... View Post
There are not. Because the compressor 'lives' in the console, it either attaches to the stereo bus, or to an individual input channel and its bus structure - no transformer necessary.

Thanks for asking.
Thanks for answering!
Old 29th March 2018
Rea
Lives for gear

Quote:
After hearing it,I’d do the great river and outboard over the Box any day.
The bottom line is Sonics.and the build quality is outstanding. The box felt a little pricey for what it is.sure wasn’t a bcm10 lol.also not a big fan of the 527 compressors..your stuck with them.and 4 slots!?
The centerpiece should be your talent,not a bunch of white faders and 4 slots.

Hi Roundbadge- Your opinion seems to be very prominent, but without knowing your taste and how you hear, its hard to value the opinion, obviously, as we all hear differently... could you link up a few of your best mixes? This way we can understand your taste and gauge your gear opinions based on that.
Thanks for your on going contributions to the forum!
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfender View Post
I'm still loving mine.

Happy to answer any questions you might have.
Still happy with your API?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search