The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What's wrong with this Tele 251 recording?
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Addict

someone mentioned the cl1b takes off the "zingy" tone, maybe overtones or transients/harmonics, i found the la2/la2a does this also.

my dad's always telling me to leave the tone alone/leave it natural and not to add a "sound to it" funny. lol.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Addict

PS i think the M49 and Elam 251 are two great vocal mice. same with all of the others. the u87 is cool. the christmas tune sounded good through that focus rite itrak unit. they didn't even use a 1073/neve. lol. funny usually people bring up the 1073 in these mic discussions. thought it sounded cool. sometimes videos on youtube, downloaded sites/music can add artifacts to the sound.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Addict

does anyone know if the mic used here

Test 19 Telefunken ELA M 251 recorded with iPhone 4s via the Focusrite iTrak Emily Oman - YouTube

is vintage or a newer repro elam 251/elam 251e?

thanks
Old 24th October 2013
Look, if you don't like the sound of a 251, C12 or even U47, get a Lauten Atlantis.

There's no sense debating the trademark sound of a microphone if you don't like the trademark sound.

Some call is zinginess, some call it hype... some call it presence or even "air" but it's integral to the actual sound of those microphones.

See and hear this little interesting clip:
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

I read these responses, and I wonder how many people opining away on this thread have even used a real 251, let alone one that worked properly.

251s are either the best mic, or the worst mic. It depends on the singer, and the track. Anybody with a grating voice, like say, Axl Rose, would be pure hell on a 251. When I hear a that piercing kind of voice, I immediately reach for something else.

I put one on Smokey Robinson the first time I tracked him, thinking he had this nice airy voice, and it was brutal. There's avery subtle, shrill harmonic in just behind his sweetness, that the mic caught in the most unattractive way. Made me realize I should have gone M49 with him, which is what I eventually did.

But put a 251 on somebody with breathiness, and it's like butter and silk. No capsule can give you that like early CK12s. And if it's a little too sibilant, but you like how forward it is, just tilt it off axis, or try figure 8, before you change mics.

They are amazing on OHs, piano, acoustic and anything where you want your lows lean and tight, but your highs forward and smooth.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Maniac

This is a really interesting thread. Really points out the relationship between a mic's reputation, sound, and people's perception of it. Personally I think the mic sounds great, though maybe driven a bit too much and not necessarily the mic I'd use on her. Then again, it's a sound that can be an end goal for a vocal in a dense mix where there is a lot for it to compete against.

Regardless of the mic, I totally agree about the vocal acrobatics. Not classy! Doesn't anyone appreciate a hint of understatement?
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by walth View Post
does anyone know if the mic used here

Test 19 Telefunken ELA M 251 recorded with iPhone 4s via the Focusrite iTrak Emily Oman - YouTube

is vintage or a newer repro elam 251/elam 251e?

thanks
It's a new one.
Old 31st October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
It's a new one.
cool thanks for the reply. i wasn't sure. it sounds great/beuatiful though on her voice. the itrack/iphone recording combo sounds great too.
Old 15th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
It's a new one.
Newly manufactured within the last 2 years, this one that we loaned out to the tube tests show was an AC701 version.
Old 15th November 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefunken Lab View Post
Newly manufactured within the last 2 years, this one that we loaned out to the tube tests show was an AC701 version.
thanks for the reply.
Old 16th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefunken Lab View Post
Thanks for weighing in with some good info! I'm incredibly impressed with your products!
Old 13th July 2015
Lives for gear

I'm probably not the best person to comment on this because my 251 is for sale. Mine has never been zingy unless driven through a pre that has A zingy quality. I will say this, anytime I record with my 251 I am in disbelief of how good it makes me look as an engineer. It has this coat of finishedness around it with warm body. Hands down the best mic I've ever had the pleasure of using and owning. the only time it sounded honkey was through a heritage audio running through a certain cl1a. I was driving the cl1a harder than i should, you can't drive those like cl1b. The heritage audio made my Manley honkey as well. I hate honky ness. I wanted a vintage version for a while until I heard a couple, I changed my mind.

If you remotely have 9 grand to spend on a mic you are seriously doing yourself a deservice to be checking YouTube videos. Who knows you might miss out on true love. You don't know this mic is being ran through, you don't know the character of her voice alone. So to judge on this video is quite frankly INSANE. Allen at telefunken told me E's were updated with certain parts, now for better or worse I don't know, I have an older one. I just know I preferred my REissue not a little better, but way better than vintage. Do yourself a favor rent a couple. Then figure it out on your own, because there's not a single bad thing I can say about a 251, it's just so damn good. It doesn't ess much and if it does its sexy. It has great body that it will stand out in a mix. Has the ability to sound like Beyoncé and c800g style mic whenever you need either. Compared to a u87 it has no honk the sound is even as if it has a volume leveler, and if you scream it never breaks apart if you have your pre set correctly. You can seriously listen to a record and eq the mic to that record effortlessly. It's cheating. I'm only selling it to be fiscally reponsible as I'm moving onto another phase in my life, but I will def miss it. Maybe I'll have it forever. I hope...I set the price a little high because I respect its worth. The pres I had luck with were vintage 33140, neve dpa, Phoenix audio Drs, a tg2 and a 1272. It also kills on acoustic guitar. so yeah point, Go rent one! Rent two. Rent two vintage and rent two E's, Rent the Ac version. I have ge tube, so another thing that might be different.

Edit: Just got home and listened again on my speakers. that mic sounds great. The AC one.

Last edited by JblKid95; 14th July 2015 at 06:50 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search