The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do I test a Beyerdynamic M160?
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head

How do I test a Beyerdynamic M160?

Hi

I have a Beyerdynamic M160 and it's pretty old. It works in as much as I can record from it but having read so much about ribbon sag etc I have no idea if it sounds like it is supposed to having never used another example.

Is there a way I can test it to find out if the ribbon is ok?

Thanks
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Nut

I have one that I barely use, well sometimes on guitar cabs.

Mine has a lot of bottom and a raise around 4k and up, sounds a little bit scooped after the low mids compared to a Royer R121 for example. It's pretty old so don't really know if mine sounds like it should.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I can recommend Xaudia Elektrik - Extinct Audio Equipment, Microphones & Information
to check - and if needed - repair or re-ribbon your M160.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Samar Audio in the USA
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

Say "Testing 1, 2, 3" into it? (sorry, had to....!!)
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Head

Thanks, I guess I'll try Xaudia Elektrik and see what they say.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffmonkey View Post
Hi

I have a Beyerdynamic M160 and it's pretty old. It works in as much as I can record from it but having read so much about ribbon sag etc I have no idea if it sounds like it is supposed to having never used another example.

Is there a way I can test it to find out if the ribbon is ok?

Thanks
i've owned a couple of these, still have one, and have heard several. Of the ones I've heard, no two were exactly the same.
So, I would say if you like the sound of it, it's fine.
I guess you could record some pink noise, from an accurate loudspeaker, and compare the frequency trace to the mic's spec sheet to see if it is in the ballpark.
The tiny ribbons in the 160 are rather durable and not prone to sagging, although obviously age and use will factor into that. Good luck.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
I can recommend Xaudia Elektrik - Extinct Audio Equipment, Microphones & Information
to check - and if needed - repair or re-ribbon your M160.
Thanks fot this,no need at the moment,but Always great to find valid suppliers here in europe

luca
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have two, they sound different but I like the way they sound. I'm of the mindset that if you like the way something sounds than it would be foolish to "fix" it even if it may be broken.

I opened up one of my guitar cabs recently and found one of my speakers (that I had been recording with for a long time and always liked the sound of) had a couple tears in the cone. I foolishly got it re-coned thinking that if I liked it now I would like it even better when it wasn't broken - total fail, I liked the way it sounded much better broken (although in another 20 years the new one might be broken in enough to sound like the old one).
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

The best way I have found to test a ribbon mic is to point downward towards a floor tom and play lightly. The combination of the ribbon inside position if there is a sag, and the low-end of the floor tom highlighting if a buzz will show if there is an issue with the ribbon.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
i've owned a couple of these, still have one, and have heard several. Of the ones I've heard, no two were exactly the same.
So, I would say if you like the sound of it, it's fine.
I guess you could record some pink noise, from an accurate loudspeaker, and compare the frequency trace to the mic's spec sheet to see if it is in the ballpark.
The tiny ribbons in the 160 are rather durable and not prone to sagging, although obviously age and use will factor into that. Good luck.
thats the answer you are looking for.
Large ribbons sag. Not small. Someone could blow in the them. Someone could poor beer in them...but unless there was a light fan aimed at it for two years...sagging won't be an issue I don't think.

I store my large ribbon AEAs upright but I have never worried about the little ones.
They are pretty common...I would take it to a music dealer and make a comparison with a new one. If they are a good community store they will allow you to do this. Or they will do it for you while you are there.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search