The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
C414 with Peluso CK12
Old 29th September 2006
Gear interested

C414 with Peluso CK12

Did anyone ever try to change the original capsule in a new 414( XLII, TLS,... ) whith a CK12 remake by Peluso ?

thumbsup
Old 29th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovefetishix View Post
Did anyone ever try to change the original capsule in a new 414( XLII, TLS,... ) whith a CK12 remake by Peluso ?

thumbsup
http://www.pelusomicrophonelab.com/capsnmnts.html

I dont know If this will help you
Old 2nd October 2006
Gear interested

not really, but thanks for answering...

Old 2nd October 2006
Lives for gear

It sounds like a fun project.
I have been thinking about picking up a couple of capsules my self
and building a mic.

with the 414 being a solid almost steril mic
a pulso cap would be a great combo
hell almost perfect
Old 2nd October 2006
Lives for gear

that is in theory,
I never really cared to much for the 414 ,how ever I know they are work
horse of a mic . they can do alot pretty good but nothing great. make life to simple/
maybe with a new cap they would kick arss at something and blow cheap beer arss
at others(that to me would be interesting). and good luck
Id love to hear the out come
matt
Old 2nd October 2006

It would probably be a waste of time to go and buy a 414, and swap the capsule. It would be cheaper and easier to just buy a Peluso P12....

The P12 sounds better than the 414, and most likely would still sound better even after the capsule swap. But, I'm comparing a solid state mic to a tube microphone, so it's like comparing apples to oranges I guess...
Old 2nd October 2006
Gear interested

I saw an old 414 EB with his real CK12 at 2000$ on E-bay this week. This kind is a part of history...

I'm sure there is some better mics for the same price, but i was finding it interresting, and wondering if anyone had already tried...
Old 2nd October 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovefetishix View Post
I saw an old 414 EB with his real CK12 at 2000$ on E-bay this week. This kind is a part of history...

I'm sure there is some better mics for the same price, but i was finding it interresting, and wondering if anyone had already tried...

The 414eb with original cap is a fantastic microphone, had one for many years. I bought another one years later and is was f**** up. Had it repaired and it still wasn't right. I think those original caps are just past their prime and possibly beyond help.
Old 2nd October 2006
Lives for gear

I have 2 414 Ebs with the CK12 capsules I had then overhauled by saturn sound they really are sweet mics.I had no idea they were worth that kind of money though.
Old 3rd October 2006
I really wish someone would copy the mic that started it all, the c12a. Those are some of my favorite mics. Shoot, I wish I could find an original pair to buy.
Old 3rd October 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrecprod View Post
I really wish someone would copy the mic that started it all, the c12a. Those are some of my favorite mics. Shoot, I wish I could find an original pair to buy.
Wouldn't you rather have a C12, though?
Old 3rd October 2006
MGA
Gear Addict

Vintage C414

I've actually been tempted a few times to get in contact with Peluso about his CEK12 capsules. I have a number of old C414 E comb which are in need of restoration but the original C12 capsule have long been replaced. I get around to doing it one day I hope.
Old 3rd October 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Wouldn't you rather have a C12, though?
Never had the pleasure of being recorded with a C12, however I was recorded through a C12a recently and the results were stellar on my voice:

What's the tonal difference? Are they the same capsule?

I understand the NuVistor tubes are gettig a bit scarce now?
Old 3rd October 2006
Lives for gear

CK12 etc.

I'm sure there is a ton of info on this, but a C12a is just what you think it would be, a NuVistor version of a C12 in a smaller box shape container which eventually evolved into the solid state model 412 and then the 414. No 2 old C12's or C12a's sound exactly alike, but generally, the C12a sounds a lot like a C12 with less output. Working properly, the C12a is a GREAT world class tube mic. I don't think NuVistors are that rare, or at least I see a lot of them for sale on ebay. The weak point of a C12a is always the capsule which can not be replaced by the real thing if it fails.

I would love if it someome could put the Peluso capusle in an old 414 and see what it sounds like comapred to the same mic with a genuine vintage CK-12 or the newer teflon capsule.

Mike Perkins
jmikeperkins
Old 4th October 2006
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeperkins View Post

I would love if it someome could put the Peluso capusle in an old 414 and see what it sounds like comapred to the same mic with a genuine vintage CK-12 or the newer teflon capsule.

Mike Perkins
jmikeperkins

In fact, the only reason why i don't try myself is that i got a Flea 12 (which sounds so great... ), and i'm afraid to get some too similar mics this way. I mean for the money spent , i could have something so good but really different.
Old 5th October 2006
Lives for gear

Anyone know how much it would cost to change out a pair of new 414's with the peluso capsule?
Old 10th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet red View Post
Anyone know how much it would cost to change out a pair of new 414's with the peluso capsule?
probly 400 bucks it you Rolled them your self.
Old 8th November 2008
The theory is, take an EB , put the cek12 capsule on and it would sound like an orginal brass cap 414.

well??? does it or not??? I hope the next post in this thread has some experience in it and moves towards answering the question
Old 8th November 2008
Lives for gear

I think the answer is: Why bother? I just bought a real-deal C414 Comb with near-perfect brass capsule in the gearslutz classifieds for $1k. Outrageously good mic for the money. Why make a compromised version when you can get the genuine article for around the same price?
Old 8th November 2008
thanks 4 your input
i think you were lucky to get one so cheap. thats what most ople pay 4 a new one. and they know they r buyng **** compared to the vintage ones.

for what technical reason do you think the mod would be worse than an original?
Old 8th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundseeker View Post
for what technical reason do you think the mod would be worse than an original?
It might be a nice mod but there's no way you're going to get the same sound out of a Peluso capsule. I hate to be one to use the word "magic", but the harmonic overtones and and overall musical sound of the original CK-12 has not been duplicated IMO. Starting with a teflon capsule EB, as you suggested, is a good idea though and the circuirty in those sounds different (I'd say nicer) than anything made thereafter. And, with that said, there's no guarantee that the peluso capsule is going to sound better in that mic than the origanal teflon capsule which is a proven performer.
I'd love to hear the results though as new things are always fun.
Old 8th November 2008
Lives for gear

I have a 414EB with a C12 cap and it is a great mic. Probably my go to mic or workhorse.
But I hardly ever use it on vocals. Vocals usually get my U67 or similar. Depending on the source of course.
But 414EB with C12 cap is gold!!!
Cheers,
Scott
Old 9th November 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowie View Post
and, with that said, there's no guarantee that the peluso capsule is going to sound better in that mic than the origanal teflon capsule which is a proven performer.
I'd love to hear the results though as new things are always fun.

wouldnt we all. Please god let the next post contain some experience of a cek12 in an akg414 (24 POST AND NOBODY CAN ANSWER THE OP) I DONT THINK WE PASS 4 GEARSLUTZ. MORE LIKE 'INCONTINENT AND SENILE BLABBERING BITCHES'
Old 9th November 2008
Lives for gear

I sold a matched pair of C12A's 4 years ago for $3500 complete with a spare pair of nuvistors! Today they're like $3K a piece. Great sounding mics... albiet a little noisy.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Bump.

Has anyone tried this in the years since the OP? I've been thinking about doing this exact thing...
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I have 2 x (silver body) C414 EB's with Tim Campbell capsules. They sound the same as my friend's original. Just as sweet. Lovely!
I sold the original nylon capsules for £100 each too! Win!
keep your eye on eBay coz the nylon capsule EB's can be snapped up for not bad money.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
I would call land audio and talk to him first.
He has some good insight.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search