The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LunchBox as a channel strip?
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

LunchBox as a strip with HA 1073/500 and Vandergraph?

Hey guys,
I'm currently on PT HD and so far I've been using pres straight into my converters.

I decided to enter the magic world of the LunchBox. heh

I'm thinking a pair of super pres that can also attract some clients and I'm considering Heritage Audio 1073/500 (as a very close emulation of a Neve with some good EQ too).
Then I want to follow with an LA2A style compressor, possibly stereo, someone was suggesting the Dual Vandergraph which I have never tried and I have no idea how it could be.

Basic idea is that I want a 6 space lunchbox that I can use as a stereo channel with solid attractive pres, EQ and compression on the way to my DAW.

Ideas?

Thanks for any possible feedback about the units I mentioned.

Best,
Bas.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac
There are certainly plenty of options for putting together a couple of great sounding channel strips in a lunch box format.

For pre/ EQ, it kinda depends on what you plan to track but, check out the La Chapell. It's very impressive sounding.

Regarding the DV, certainly can be used for tracking but keep in mind, it's a dual comp and I don't believe it can be unlinked. Great for bus work or single channel tracking but not ideal for recording 2 separate sources simultaneously. It's also a VCA comp, not Opto like an LA. The Optograph would be better suited for that role but it's a double wide single channel.

A pair of 527's, while again are VCA, would give you the flexibility to run them independent for tracking or linked for bus work.

Likewise, 550b's are great EQ's for tracking or bus work.

Again, tons of options but it certainly can be done. In fact, that's pretty much what it was designed for.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Great suggestions thanks! I'm steering towards a pair of 527s for comp. The reason why I chose a 1073 is because I know how it sounds and if the Heritage is close as they say it should be pretty versatile with its onboard EQ, but I'm still pretty open about that too, so please if anybody has tried the unit an knows it'd not that close I will change my mind.
I'll look into La Chapell in the meantime.

Thank you so much!
Bas
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

We have racks full of gear here at the studio and the pieces I use in my chain are all in the 2 10-slot 500 series racks. Just got a Lindell 6-slot with 2 pres in it (512 and an OSA) we're going for dynamics next since our boss is selling a bunch of his demo pieces super cheap. If you're gonna have it in a rack, go for a radial or an sm pro that has the link/feed switch. If it's just gonna be desktop, go for the SM pro that has those buttons in the front. The Lindell doesn't have rack ears or feed buttons so it would work find for desktop. You just have to do all the connections in the back. That's pretty much gonna be our chain. 500-series chains are great and portable too.

Check out the Purple Audio Action compressor (it's a FET, not an optical tho)
Old 17th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto View Post
Great suggestions thanks! I'm steering towards a pair of 527s for comp. The reason why I chose a 1073 is because I know how it sounds and if the Heritage is close as they say it should be pretty versatile with its onboard EQ, but I'm still pretty open about that too, so please if anybody has tried the unit an knows it'd not that close I will change my mind.
I'll look into La Chapell in the meantime.

Thank you so much!
Bas
You can't go wrong w the heritage! Great choice! Killer piece
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
You can't go wrong w the heritage! Great choice! Killer piece
That's what I set my eyes for, I really hope to get more encouraging comments like this or something 180 degrees against it in case there's something closer to the actual Neve (I know BAE is another great contender but...?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPDiva View Post
If you're gonna have it in a rack, go for a radial or an sm pro that has the link/feed switch.
This is great, I didn't even know there was something like this. I just saw the Radial WR8 and I believe that could be a better choice than the API (yes? no?) that would allow me to feed the signal from a unit to the other without patching every time in the back of the rack.
Experiences?

Thanks guys, your comments are really helping so far.

Bas.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
This is great, I didn't even know there was something like this. I just saw the Radial WR8 and I believe that could be a better choice than the API (yes? no?) that would allow me to feed the signal from a unit to the other without patching every time in the back of the rack.
Experiences?

Thanks guys, your comments are really helping so far.

Bas.
Yeah, I personally like the Radials better than the API. Radial makes really sturdy equipment and I think the API is a 6 slot, the Radial is 8 and I think it's cheaper.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Guru

The Heritage is great. You might also check the AML 1073's. They are equivalent from what I've heard. Only own the AML's though. For compression, consider the new Chimera from Serpent. I have their SA3A (LA3A) comp and the Chimera is an identical single slot 500 series from what I can tell. My fav compressor. Works awesome, imparts a wonderful mojo, is simple and stays out of the way.

As for gear attracting clients.....that's not been my experience. After spending several hundred thousand in gear over the years, I'm hard pressed to put my finger on any one piece that drew clients in. They DO seem to comment on the Bricasti, but I don't think they'd not come if I didn't have it....
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
The Heritage is great. You might also check the AML 1073's. They are equivalent from what I've heard. Only own the AML's though. For compression, consider the new Chimera from Serpent. I have their SA3A (LA3A) comp and the Chimera is an identical single slot 500 series from what I can tell. My fav compressor. Works awesome, imparts a wonderful mojo, is simple and stays out of the way.

As for gear attracting clients.....that's not been my experience. After spending several hundred thousand in gear over the years, I'm hard pressed to put my finger on any one piece that drew clients in. They DO seem to comment on the Bricasti, but I don't think they'd not come if I didn't have it....
drBill thank you for your input, the Chimera was just announced, good timing on this one!
Thank you for picking up the line about gear to attract clients, at this moment I'm pretty new to LA as I recently moved and I need to start networking and advertising, so I believe that being a stranger with great known gear is more attractive than being a stranger with xyz equipment. It would be easy if I was already known in the neighborhood but I'm climbing the latter with as much production as I can and it's a challenging world for us little unknown home studios. But this is another topic all together.
Thank you so much for your help, every word is very appreciated.

Bas
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
drBill thank you for your input, the Chimera was just announced, good timing on this one!
Thank you for picking up the line about gear to attract clients, at this moment I'm pretty new to LA as I recently moved and I need to start networking and advertising, so I believe that being a stranger with great known gear is more attractive than being a stranger with xyz equipment. It would be easy if I was already known in the neighborhood but I'm climbing the latter with as much production as I can and it's a challenging world for us little unknown home studios. But this is another topic all together.
Thank you so much for your help, every word is very appreciated.

Bas
Bas, great gear is always an asset, but I think if you're buying it to get more work or new clients, you're barking up the wrong tree. I've been at this a long time, and have known many studio's and engineers and have seen them come and go, and beyond a special vintage console or the room itself, there's very little you can buy that brings in clientele. As far as engineers are concerned, I don't expect them to have/bring anything to the party. Maybe monitors, but that's it. If they have a studio and i"m booking the studio proper and not them specifically, I EXPECT them to have great gear. If they don't or if it's in poor repair, I won't ever book them again.

Best things to do for new clients :

Location : They won't come if they have to sit in traffic for 2 hours.
Reputation / Credits : If you've got these, you don't need ANY gear. This is the TRUE attraction for clients.
Amenities / Vibe : If you have a cool place to hang that's creative and are competent, people will come.
Room : A good sounding room cannot be "purchased". You have to earn it with tweaks, hard work, revamping, etc.. These great sounding rooms are always a draw.
Gear : It's a given. You need what it takes to get the job done. Few clients care beyond that.

Notice gear is last. And yet, it's the first place guys just starting out head, believing that it will make a difference.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Bas, great gear is always an asset, but I think if you're buying it to get more work or new clients, you're barking up the wrong tree. I've been at this a long time, and have known many studio's and engineers and have seen them come and go, and beyond a special vintage console or the room itself, there's very little you can buy that brings in clientele. As far as engineers are concerned, I don't expect them to have/bring anything to the party. Maybe monitors, but that's it. If they have a studio and i"m booking the studio proper and not them specifically, I EXPECT them to have great gear. If they don't or if it's in poor repair, I won't ever book them again.

Best things to do for new clients :

Location : They won't come if they have to sit in traffic for 2 hours.
Reputation / Credits : If you've got these, you don't need ANY gear. This is the TRUE attraction for clients.
Amenities / Vibe : If you have a cool place to hang that's creative and are competent, people will come.
Room : A good sounding room cannot be "purchased". You have to earn it with tweaks, hard work, revamping, etc.. These great sounding rooms are always a draw.
Gear : It's a given. You need what it takes to get the job done. Few clients care beyond that.

Notice gear is last. And yet, it's the first place guys just starting out head, believing that it will make a difference.
One thing that wasn't mentioned is instruments. Having a lot of amps, guitars, a piano, etc. is a major attraction.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search