The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
D&R Dayner VS Soundcraft 6000
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
D&R Dayner VS Soundcraft 6000

Hello

I wanted to have more information about these two consoles... about sound, EQ, and reliability

and anything you feel is important to know

Thanks!

Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear
Soundcraft 6000

Hi Elan, The SC6000 is a good board, I an't comment on the other one.

The 6000 i have is the balanced version, with a patch-bay. The major issue I had was with the PSU overheating - i learnt about and repaired the bridge rectifier circuit and put a fan in there, now its peachy. Other issues are the very flimsy ALPS switches - as they're at least 20 years old i'm gradually replacing switches and capacitors at the same time. Its a little time consuming but not expensive otherwise, if you have a desoldering tool..

It sounds really good, i have some really 'posh' converters and mix analog - as well as tracking drums a lot through the console mic pres. the converters make a huge difference, the EQ is not great on everything - but it takes half a second to boost or cut something - quicker than loading a plugin

Having a patchbay is a must for me, there were a few dry solder joints, but otherwise everything is really clean and works a treat.

Info is available - Crystal Clear Recording : Denver, CO
have some good tips and all the manuals / schematics.

Good luck.

Ps. If anyone has any soundcraft 6000 bits 4sale, i'm interested for spares.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Guru

The Dayner is significantly quieter, and has a less "colored" sound, although I wouldn't call the 6000 extremely colored. The D&R Dayners are very reliable boards, and there's still many in service, and D&R itself is still kicking it and can supply parts. I've owned both D&R's & Soundcrafts (24 ch 200B I think it was). The soundcraft EQ is crunchier, the D&R smoother. The pre's in the D&R are preferable to the Soundcrafts to me.

personal preferences.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
Thanks for the infos, regarding the Soundcraft EQ.. the one in the 6000 isn't different from the one in the 200b?

I don't know I'm reading the manuals they are both inspiring boards.. specs are actually a bit better in favor for Soundcraft.. and also the 6000 is transformer balanced

Anyone who got both?
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Hello,

I own a 3200 Soundcraft ( superior to the 6000 to my ears... ). Its preamps are really really good on drums. I own others preamps ( Aurora Audio GTQ2, API The Channel Strip, a pair of old Joemeek VC1Qcs, ... ), but I really love the Soundcraft preamps on drums....

Paul
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
I was also looking at Soundtracs Solitaire... what do you think?
Old 18th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
... and also the 6000 is transformer balanced ...
No transformers in the 6000, me thinks.
Old 19th November 2014
Lives for gear

I have a 6000 and I really like it. It sounds fairly in between a Neve and an API and is punchy while marginally colored. It is also heavily modifiable which is a journey I am beginning on...very flexible and the cost versus performance is very high.
Old 19th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic View Post
... and the cost versus performance is very high.
Did you mean to say "the cost versus performance is very low"?
Old 19th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
Did you mean to say "the cost versus performance is very low"?
Whoops, yes....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search