The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Neumann Mic Tech went independent
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Neumann Mic Tech went independent

My favorite Neumann factory-authorized service technician, Tom Onofrio, has just gone independent. I have watched Tom's work for decades (he was with Neumann/Sennheiser in Connecticut for 20 years), and always appreciated his competency and the high quality of his work.

Considering the dearth of competent high-end mic techs in this country, especially those who are experienced in servicing the current crop of Neumann's TLM models, this is good news.

If you need Neumann service, especially on solid-state mics, including all contemporary models, I suggest you contact him:

[email protected]
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Coming from you, that is a high endorsement!!!

Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks Klaus. I'm putting Tom's contact info into my "mic repair guru" database.
Old 4th December 2013
Here for the gear

Klaus, thank you for the post. I now have a website which i can be contacted on and services can be paid for through this site as well. The URL is Neumann Microphone Repair
Old 4th December 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOnofrio View Post
Klaus, thank you for the post. I now have a website which i can be contacted on and services can be paid for through this site as well. The URL is Neumann Microphone Repair
Hi Tom, I would make it clear on your website that you are USA based - as it stands, you could be anywhere.

Good luck being freelance - I wish you the best.
Old 6th December 2013
Here for the gear

Hi all, new web address is as follows www.microphone-repair.com
Old 6th December 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOnofrio View Post
Hi all, new web address is as follows Microphone Repair
Looks good Tom
Old 6th December 2013
Lives for gear

This is great news for us on the East coast. Thank you for the recommendation Klaus, and welcome Tom!
Old 11th February 2014
Tom is fantastic. I just got back my 51 year old U67 and couldn't be happier. The repair turned out not to be a major one but I sent in a beautiful sounding but creaky old microphone that took 90 minutes to warm up and got back a gorgeous microphone that is ready to go in 90 seconds and sounds like it's 1963 and it just came from the factory. Tom was straight-forward to deal with, his price was fair and the turn-around time was zippy.
Old 11th February 2014
Here for the gear
Tom replaced the capsule and three caps on my vintage u87. His work is amazing! Turn around time was great and was very fair. Will be sending my other mic in for repair. Thank you!
Old 11th February 2014
Lives for gear

Good to know, and the note from Klaus is a plus.
Old 11th February 2014
Lives for gear

I can attest to Tom's excellent work and service...
Old 11th February 2014
Lives for gear

another happy customer of Tom’s here.

he did great work on my SM69 FET.

very communicative and easy to deal with.

thanks Tom!
Old 27th February 2014
Hi

Just wanted to mention I had a km84 that was buzzing, noisy and sent it to Tom for repair...it now sounds wonderful!
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Another satisfied customer. I sent a recently purchased KM83 to Tom for a once-over. He did some minor work for a fair price, and he was super easy to deal with.

I have used both the Neumann (Sennheiser) official service center here in the US, as well as Tom, here in the last few years. Of course, Tom used to work there, so the quality of the work is going to be great from either one.

The contrast (which works in Tom's favor): He is easier to communicate with and to deal with regarding payment. The official service center website is a bit of a bureaucratic tangle, and they make you prepay for a "worst case scenario" on the mic you are sending them. They won't charge you that much in the end; they are very fair about the actual cost of the repairs. However, you certainly feel like you are dealing with a large organization. Tom, on the other hand, responds to e-mail and takes payment via PayPal with no prepayment needed. That's a whole lot easier for me to deal with, so I think I will send things to Tom if I need any repairs in the future.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

I just wanted to say: we sent Tom one of our M49's last week that had developed a significant amount of intermittent noise. He turned it around and got it back to us in record time for an extremely fair rate. He was extremely easy to communicate with too. I'm planning to send him a lot more work in the future (including some KM254s this week).

Thanks for the referral everyone!
Old 18th October 2014
Big Thumbs Up for Tom Onofrio.

I had the pleasure of meeting Tom over this weekend. Really great guy, who gave my 84's a tune up.

Excellent communication, really fast service, and he took the time to explain everything that he did and why. Great service and an education!

The mics sound great, and I cannot recommend him enough.

Thanks Tom.

Rich
Old 20th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
My favorite Neumann factory-authorized service technician, Tom Onofrio, has just gone independent. I have watched Tom's work for decades (he was with Neumann/Sennheiser in Connecticut for 20 years), and always appreciated his competency and the high quality of his work.
It's hard to explain how loud this speaks to me... It's like having Al Schmitt or Mike Shipley [RIP] say you are my favorite engineer. Klaus KNOWS Neumanns...

Best-
Jonathan
Old 1st November 2014
Here for the gear

Another Happy Customer !

I can wholeheartedly second the rave reviews on this site about Tom Onofrio. Based on these reviews only, I sent Tom a pair of vintage U87s that had mysteriously stopped working, and I’m happy to report that I had a similar excellent experience!

Luckily, the fix was simple, and Tom also repaired a dented basket on one of the mics. He communicates promptly via email. His PayPal link makes payment very easy. Tom’s turnaround time was fast, even though he had to order some parts. And the cost was very reasonable.

When I got the mics back, I fired them up and they sound as good as new. And I could see that they were handled with care. Thanks, Tom!

All in all, Tom Onofrio strikes me as a dedicated, seasoned professional who takes great care and pride in all aspects of his work and makes the entire process very easy – a perfect combination. Spread the word!
Old 1st November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
It's hard to explain how loud this speaks to me... It's like having Al Schmitt or Mike Shipley [RIP] say you are my favorite engineer. Klaus KNOWS Neumanns...

Best-
Jonathan
JP,

Tom is everything you want a tech to be..........
Courteous, prompt and most importantly he does great work for a fair price.

He not only fixed the problem with my SM69, but he also fixed a couple small dents in the grill and cleaned the capsules.
It came back looking and sounding great.

Highly recommended!
Old 2nd November 2014
Lives for gear

This is good info to know. Thanks Klaus.
Old 11th November 2014
Gear Guru

Tom just serviced my KM8x's, and he did a fantastic job on them. Great work, super fast turnaround, extremely reasonable prices, great communication. I had previously sent them to Neumann/Sennheiser in the US, who said they couldn't do anything with them. Tom will get my US based mic work in the future.
Old 11th November 2014
Gear Nut

Tom did a killer job on my 87, great pricing and really fast turnaround
Old 6th December 2014
Here for the gear

All,

My new website is as follows:

Www.Tonofriomicrophone-repair.com
Old 10th December 2014
Gear Head

Another very satisfied customer...

Tom recently worked on my Neumann stereo mic...repair issue similar to Stephen Trask's (#9 posted above)...long warm up and intermittent noise NOT associated with the AC701 tubes...Tom got the mic running fine at a very fair price...recommend highly...
Old 10th December 2014
Lives for gear

Another happy customer here as well!

Tom worked on my KM86 about a month back and his service and communication could not be described any less than excellent. Reasonable charges, super fast turnaround and really great communication - can't go wrong. I feel perfectly comfortable with any future maintenance with my mics.
Old 18th December 2014
Here for the gear

Tom just did a little TLC on my 84's. His communication, quick turn around and work were impeccable.
Thanks Tom
pete
Old 5th March 2015
Gear Maniac

I have had Tom do restoration work on 2 KM85s, 6 KM84s and 2 KM86s and his workmanship, communication, price and turnaround time have been nothing short of amazing. I also had him work on a suffering U87 that had been returned to me unrepaired three time from another tech and Tom sent it back working perfectly and sounding better than ever. If you need work on a Neumann mic Tom Onofrio is THE man!
Old 5th March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilburguy View Post
If you need work on a Neumann mic Tom Onofrio is THE man!
If you are in the USA.

In the UK, send it to Martin Gathard at Sennheiser UK - Martin is THE man in the UK for Neumann repairs.
Old 4th June 2015
Here for the gear

I highly recommend Tom. He serviced my u67 and did a fantastic job. His work is excellent and his turnaround is super fast.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search