The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PCM to DSD (e.g. WAV to DFF) converter?
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

PCM to DSD (e.g. WAV to DFF) converter?

I have 192k/24b files that my clients wants to do SACD with it. I've read that it can be recorded to DVD disc (as its the same thing as SACD, UDF DVD file format).

So, is there any WAV-to-DFF(DSD) converter? I know that it will be a lot upasampled, but it does not matter at this time.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Check out Korg Audiogate.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Nice!

Looks like AudioGate fits the bill nicely, and cross platform even. I believe I have an old PIII windoze machina (I really hope they're not kidding...) kicking around in the back...
Old 17th October 2013
It does PCM to DSD fine. Terrible at DSD to PCM.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Head

Yes, the Korg Audiogate will do the conversion; you could also use Saracon, which is probably the most common choice between non-DAWs options.
But if the project is going to be released in SACD, you´ll probably have to deliver the replication plant a DSDIFF Edited Master file, which is not exactly the same as a regular DSDIFF file, and which is something you cannot do with Korg Audiogate nor Saracon. If you need to deliver DSDIFF EM, the available options are really limited: Pyramix or Sonoma, basically.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

DCS 974. I have one up for sale in Classifieds!
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by meverylame View Post
It does PCM to DSD fine. Terrible at DSD to PCM.
The Korg Audiogate software does DSD to PCM conversion very well. Saying it's "terrible" as the poster above is imho just plain silly.

Old 18th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
The Korg Audiogate software does DSD to PCM conversion very well. Saying it's "terrible" as the poster above is imho just plain silly.

You don't notice the drastic
loss of top end?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I use Audiogate and have no problem with it. I'm sure Saracon is better, but I have no experience with that.

However, if you're going to be pressing a commercial SACD, wouldn't it make more sense to send your PCM files to a DSD mastering house and have them make the conversion?

By the way, DSD from 192 kHz PCM should sound fine. While I'm a DSD fan myself, I've heard some pretty good-sounding SACDs from high-res PCM sources.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search