The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Compared an SSL Xlogic G Comp to a Smart C2 last night
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Addict

Compared an SSL Xlogic G Comp to a Smart C2 last night

Well this has been debated to death here. People usually dog the Xlogic 1U unit and the general consensus is that Smart C1/C2 units are preferred.

First off, let me say that I am a lover of older SSL gear and am usually a little wary of the newer stuff. I have compared (recapped) E channel comps and EQ's to the new black faced XRack reissues, and while the reissues are really great, the original black 242 cards and channel strip comps sounded far better to my ears.

Anyway on to the subject of outboard stereo comps. Last night I got to compare the Xlogic G Comp to a Smart C2 in session. I was totally expecting to prefer the Smart C2 based on everything I have read here...especially considering how people have put down the xlogic unit.
Surprisingly in almost every test, from subtle to smashed we all preferred the Xlogic G Comp. Sure the Smart C2 sounded a little brighter, but in a harsher kind of way. Matching the settings on both units yielded similar compression characteristics, but the Xlogic always had more depth/seemed more 3D while the C2 just ended up sounding thinner and just a little smaller side by side. The Xlogic also handled the low end much better.

Its funny, but in the rare occasions in those SSL style compressor comparison threads when somebody actually owns both units, they usually seem to speak highly of the xlogic unit.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

yeah the white ssl g is great.
Old 17th October 2013
Solid State Logic

But nice straightforward posts like this stop us arguing!

Glad you're liking it.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

Whats was also very interesting, using 10:1 ratio, med attack, fast release and playing with the right amount of gain reduction on the threshold, we got the same level of smash on drums as the C2's crush feature....just sounding a little fuller on the xlogic unit.

Honestly, I believe if the xlogic unit came with a grittier, dirtier looking metal faceplate over the current smooth silver one, people would prefer its sonics a lot more
Old 21st October 2013
Solid State Logic

Maybe I'll encourage the guys in the factory to drag a few round the car park to give them some "vintage value" lol
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search