The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gefell UM70 vs. UM70S (60v vs 80v) - Gefell experts needed! Condenser Microphones
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Gefell UM70 vs. UM70S (60v vs 80v) - Gefell experts needed!

Hey guys!

Looking at the UM70 a bit and have discovered there is the regular UM70 and the UM70S. The non-S is 60v and the S is 80v charging voltage for increased sensitivity (aka lower noise?). Has anyone A/B'd these two mics enough to make a determination how they differ from each other? Is it JUST a noise issue or are there other differences? I'm referring primarily to the last generations made by Gefell in the 90s that have the metal bodies, not necessarily the old RTF ones.

Also, does anyone know if the UM70S exists in a removable capsule form or is the UM70/692 the most modern varient of the the transformer equipped UM70? Or in other words, is there a UM70S/692?

Any wisdom is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Guru

The models are different product steps in the UM 70 development.

First there was the SMS 70 system - a modular system with the MV691, followed later by the MV692, and different capsules.

One of the capsules was the UM 70.

The MV691 and MV692 had a 60V polarising voltage.

Later Microtech Gefell thought it could be better to have fixed microphones, too. That means the next step was the UM 70 K. A fixed microphone with a 60V polarising voltage.

After that they changed the polarising voltage to 80V to have higher sensitivity and lower noise (UM 70 S).

The last step (currently) is the UMT 70 S. Which is the UM 70 capsule, fixed to a newly developed pre-amplifier with a transformerless output.

There was no UM 70 S / MV 692.

The sound of the different microphones are very close to each other, except that some people do hear differences between the microphones with output transformer and those without.

I hope this helps clarify things for you.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have a few of the UM70 variants and the capsules do sound alike. I had the transformerless version too but sold them. They were excellent mics too but I just happen to like the older ones. I also prefer the ones with changeable capsules and have never had a noise problem with my mics. The newer ones may be more quiet but I could not tell a difference at the levels I record. In good condition they are great microphones no matter which you choose.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
I have a few of the UM70 variants and the capsules do sound alike. I had the transformerless version too but sold them. They were excellent mics too but I just happen to like the older ones. I also prefer the ones with changeable capsules and have never had a noise problem with my mics. The newer ones may be more quiet but I could not tell a difference at the levels I record. In good condition they are great microphones no matter which you choose.
I agree. A buddy had a transformer less version, we compared them and my older model with changeable capsule sounded better to us. He sold his the next day... Maybe his mic wasn't a good one and others sound better - who knows, but I've been extremely happy with mine. I'd say its my most used mic.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Guru

Good to know. I have a UM70S that I absolutely LOVE. I wish I had a stereo pair, but have been holding off on picking up a second one because I wasn't sure about the variations. I thought about getting a pair of UMT70S, but can't justify the cost of 2 more mics right now.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Good to know. I have a UM70S that I absolutely LOVE. I wish I had a stereo pair, but have been holding off on picking up a second one because I wasn't sure about the variations. I thought about getting a pair of UMT70S, but can't justify the cost of 2 more mics right now.
I have a UM70 in the classified right now if you decide to buy.

Microtech Gefell UM70 with MV692 Body
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxy View Post
I agree. A buddy had a transformer less version, we compared them and my older model with changeable capsule sounded better to us. He sold his the next day... Maybe his mic wasn't a good one and others sound better - who knows, but I've been extremely happy with mine. I'd say its my most used mic.
"Better" is subjective - some people like the colouration that a transformer gives - others prefer the cleanliness of a transformerless output.

Personally, I prefer the latter.

This is why Gefell do two versions of the M930 - one has a transformer, the other doesn't.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
I have a UM70 in the classified right now if you decide to buy.

Microtech Gefell UM70 with MV692 Body
Looks good. The serial # isn't that far from mine. Wish I could move now, but, well, the gov't.
Old 11th January 2018
Here for the gear

"The non-S is 60v and the S is 80v charging voltage for increased sensitivity (aka lower noise?)"

Does that mean a Gefell UM70S will not function properly using 48v? Does it require an additional piece of 'gear' ?
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

No, it uses an internal DC-to-DC converter to create a 60V or 80V polarisation voltage from the 48V phantom.
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

i thought the S was for Screw !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Gefell UM70 vs. UM70S (60v vs 80v) - Gefell experts needed!-gefell-screw-copy.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf gefell screw copy.pdf (66.6 KB, 53 views)
Old 12th January 2018
Gear Guru

The Gefell data sheets for the microphones are here:-

UMT 70S

UM 70S

MV 692 / UM 70
Old 1st February 2018
Lives for gear

I have an M71. The "Perestroika Mic." Cardioid. The first model to come to the US after the Berlin Wall came down and Gotham Distribution lost Neumann as a client.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Gotham Distribution lost Neumann as a client.
This would be when Sennheiser bought Neumann GmbH (the 1940s Neumann company) and moved distribution to the Sennheiser distribution network.

The original Neumann 1928 company still owns Microtech Gefell.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search