The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
C-800g: Unwanted Sound in Chain
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Nut

C-800g: Unwanted Sound in Chain

Here's my signal chain going in:

C-800g => BAE 1023 => Mytek 96 ADC => Digi 003 Console

I am currently hearing unwanted crackling noise through my c-800g. I have isolated it to the c-800g by hooking up my other two mics to the chain and not hearing the same sound, and bu cycling the mic on and off and noticing the sounds fade in and out with the signal. Yes I have hum through other mics, but this is a more high pitched crackling noise through the c-800g. Could it be time to replace the tube in the mic? I only notice the noise when the mic is turned up most of the way on the 1023, but it is unwanted noise I dont want to have to gait out. Thanks!
Old 16th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXile View Post
Here's my signal chain going in:

C-800g => BAE 1023 => Mytek 96 ADC => Digi 003 Console

I am currently hearing unwanted crackling noise through my c-800g. I have isolated it to the c-800g by hooking up my other two mics to the chain and not hearing the same sound, and bu cycling the mic on and off and noticing the sounds fade in and out with the signal. Yes I have hum through other mics, but this is a more high pitched crackling noise through the c-800g. Could it be time to replace the tube in the mic? I only notice the noise when the mic is turned up most of the way on the 1023, but it is unwanted noise I dont want to have to gait out. Thanks!
Has the mic been somewhere cool and damp. Had the same problem with a 4047. Putting it in a dry wam place for a day fixed it up. Not too hot, say 30 degrees C
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear
When a tube mic produced a crackle sound seem more likely the tube need to be change.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Definitely sounds like a tube problem ...
Time to change it.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Nut

Okay, I think there is a member here that does it or has tubes if I remember correctly?
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

had a similar problem 2-3 years ago... it sometimes appeared after 5 inutes of work with the sony, sometimes after 3 hours, sometimes not... swapped all tubes, still... and spent hours and days with experiments. finally I found out that the heating/climate system in my old studio somehow lowered the voltage on all ac outlets when it had it in "auto-mode". re-swapped tubes and installed powerconditioners for proper voltage! no more problems since then.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Flint View Post
had a similar problem 2-3 years ago... it sometimes appeared after 5 inutes of work with the sony, sometimes after 3 hours, sometimes not... swapped all tubes, still... and spent hours and days with experiments. finally I found out that the heating/climate system in my old studio somehow lowered the voltage on all ac outlets when it had it in "auto-mode". re-swapped tubes and installed powerconditioners for proper voltage! no more problems since then.
K, I'll try a new tube and if that doesn't work I'll get a power conditioner, was thinking about time to get one anyways. Any recommendations on tubes or conditioners?
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXile View Post
K, I'll try a new tube and if that doesn't work I'll get a power conditioner, was thinking about time to get one anyways. Any recommendations on tubes or conditioners?
I bought a set from sony, the original 6AU6A's... but there are a few other options out there which seem to work nice as well. read here

when it comes to conditioners: Furman does a good job and is affortable. several models...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search