Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Townhouse closing down. (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/87678-townhouse-closing-down.html)

PlatinumSamples 10th April 2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anne_paranoid (Post 1975091)
Why do they stop in bussiness?

Less music sales = lower budgets = more producers working at home or in cheaper spaces.

Studio rates haven't changed much in 20 years... and they can't stay in business just on basic tracking dates.

Rail

jindrich 10th April 2008 11:13 AM

yeah Thrill, much better to call them directly. Use Skype-out and it will cost you peanuts (only way I call my japs friends' cellphones).

It was very sad to see Townhouse go, that one was a one of the best. But now I can realize my dream of recreating studio 1 over here, if only I find a fast way to get the £65k for the 4072G+ that was in there (that board looked and sounded awesome).

BTW, can I buy the rotating acoustic panels that were on the walls ? cooge

Interesting that funky junk is selling that G+ for the same as a newer J9080/72

chrisso 10th April 2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertDawg (Post 1973914)
Absolutely nothing on that page looks like anywhere even remotely close to anything that could be considered a good deal.

The prices are very fair, by UK standards.
I doubt Funky junk want to give away the stuff, as in give 'good deals', but they tend to sell things at the going rate, which is the case with this list IMO.

syra 10th April 2008 03:55 PM

Most of the stuff on that page is gone...its just not updated...better luck next time as they say..

pw8888 10th April 2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jindrich (Post 1976862)
yeah Thrill, much better to call them directly. Use Skype-out and it will cost you peanuts (only way I call my japs friends' cellphones).

It was very sad to see Townhouse go, that one was a one of the best. But now I can realize my dream of recreating studio 1 over here, if only I find a fast way to get the £65k for the 4072G+ that was in there (that board looked and sounded awesome).

BTW, can I buy the rotating acoustic panels that were on the walls ? cooge

Interesting that funky junk is selling that G+ for the same as a newer J9080/72

SURE !
I was thinking the same ... G+ same price than a J......
Hum....G+ is better anyway....heh

vincentvangogo 26th June 2014 01:14 AM

Whoever designed that glass section can't know much about the hostel around the corner.

[email protected] 26th June 2014 07:02 AM

London studio where Elton John's Candle In The Wind was recorded sells for £7.5m - London - News - London Evening Standard

Rolf Ebitsch 26th June 2014 12:58 PM

"Now it has been bought by Irish property company Perpetuum Developments,
with planning permission for the studios to be partially demolished and converted into 11 apartments likely to go for sale at up to £2 million."

Jesus Christ !

So sad...

R.

Jules 26th June 2014 01:52 PM

I visited a a few sessions there and cut a record in the mastering studio.

latestflavor 26th June 2014 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules (Post 899579)
Where are the millionares (who dont need to make a profit) when we need them?

Some big companies should own these places simply to be cool..

But I suppose it's hard to sell that concept to accountants and shareholders..

hidz

Come on, millionaires are not rich. Maybe $20 mil+ and you aren't going to care to much about a major studio that bleeds. Under that people are still worried about losing it and retirement (believe it or not).

But essentially that is what billionaires do with major sports teams. Many in the states do not make a profit, although their terminal value does rise over a decade in line with TV advertising and the multiple on revenue - which you definitely don't get with studios.

If I may - - would say that the "major studio" market should be best salvaged by major celebrities or artists who have both $$ and a name that can draw potential clients.

I would parallel the model more with restaurants - - a pet project, maybe you make some money, maybe not - but shepherd over a place for fun and expect it to be worth nothing in due time.

Let's see - - how about a major recording studio owned by a big name celebrity that does real sessions during the week but on the weekend (Thurs, Fri, Sat nite) does an exclusive high end dinner in situ where there is entertainment in a real setting (kind of like how people are paying up to eat in the chef's kitchen now - a raw and real experience). A cross between "sessions on W 54th" and "chef's table" in the live room, and everyone leaves with the live recording.

I don't know how else to keep these bleeding boat anchors alive. Ashford and Simpson have a restaurant / bar with stage on the Upper West Side of NYC (i think it does quite well), but maybe a little more star power in a real studio where people can get behind the drums, touch some equipment, move a few faders of a known artist. Target market would be some of the multimillionaire / billionaires you see at events like Unicef - which BTW draws a massive corporate crown buying tables. They love celebrities since their life is so boring and it can be written off as client entertainment.